AK Interactive Real Colors of WWII: Aircraft

LSP_Kevin

Nice review Kev, I have a copy of the book and the lack of a Japanese section is the one notable omission especially as you have pointed out with Nick Millman being involved, hopefully this will be rectified in the future. Hopefully with French and Italian subjects also covered.

Cheers

Dennis

57 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed I hoped seeing Japan as well because the number of up-to-date and comprehensive publications related to the Imperial Army and Navy Air Forces colors and published in English is ridiculous... 

x2

This is really one of the missing pieces  of info needed when modelling WW2 subjects.

Thanks for review. 

I purchased the book but was disappointed in limited number of color plates of various aircraft and overlooking the Japanese aircraft.

Also limited color plates  on the patterns on the wings especially German aircraft. 

For my liking the pages devoted to the RLM primary documents could have been used for other means. Unless you speak German. 

Liked the historical material. 

Flows well well with their new paint line. 

Paul C 

9 minutes ago, DonH said:

Nice review Kev.

On a separate, but related topic:

1) Are the paints any good?

2) Are the colours any different to other offerings?

We'll find out soon enough, Don, as I have a small selection to test, and it's the next thing on my list.

Kev

3 hours ago, DonH said:

Nice review Kev.

On a separate, but related topic:

1) Are the paints any good?

2) Are the colours any different to other offerings?

They are very similar to Gunze and spray with the same properties and thinner mixing ratios.

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

We'll find out soon enough, Don, as I have a small selection to test, and it's the next thing on my list.

Kev

Looking forward to that, Kev.

25 minutes ago, JamesHatch said:

They are very similar to Gunze and spray with the same properties and thinner mixing ratios.

Thanks James, that is good to know as I very much like using Gunze. I have tried MRP but confess I don't like it and it is hard to get in Singapore. I know where to get AK paints!!

On 4/13/2019 at 10:41 AM, dennismcc said:

Nice review Kev, I have a copy of the book and the lack of a Japanese section is the one notable omission especially as you have pointed out with Nick Millman being involved, hopefully this will be rectified in the future. Hopefully with French and Italian subjects also covered.

Cheers

Dennis

Still they have a fair amount of Japanese colors in their range. I have to look how many, but i've seen quit allot in the box i bought lately from them.

For French airplanes, there is still something to be done. Besides the very old Squadron booklet nothing has been published in English. And even in French, there is just one book, recently published by Lella press. This is a very good book but with one noticeable drawback: it has no color chip! 

Italy is reasonably covered by La Bancarella editions books. They released an excellent trilogy about Italian fighters (Italian/English). However, other planes such as bombers are not covered in that release.