Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

SpaceX

It truly is a sight to behold!  :clap2: It is the "model A" of the functionally reusable rocket booster.

Barry

The whole affair took something like 33 minutes to hit 27,000 mph, place the satellite in orbit (400 miles up), and return these boosters to earth.

Just fantastic.

Posted (edited)

Yes.

Only because the Musk is involved with both companies I mention this too......recently was totally amazed to find out that you can order a Tesla with a option to have your car find YOU in parking lot. 

Not Falcon booster landing, but still pretty cool.

Edited by Ryan

And to think unlike my generation of white shirted, black tie & pocket protector engineers these "kids" look like the hippies on my gen.!!

Crazy,

Barry

I watched a landing last year. Especially cool hearing the sonic boom as they return. Reminds me of a James Bond movie set when i see the film of the landing. I found that sooooo ironic!

I've had an intrest in Spaceflight almost since I can remember , (I was 11 when Apollo 11 landed , so that probably explains it). anyway , I have a small library of reference books covering Apollo /Geminei etc,

intrestingly at the beginning of Apollo they had to agree  on just how they were going to land on the moon.  Thanks to Von Braun the accepted method was Direct Ascent , (see Destination Moon for  what it would have looked like), but that approach was finally  passed on because in the words of an engineer,

"It would be like backing an Atlas back on to the pad"

Now every time I watch SpaceX I recall those words,  and I sit there amazed that yes they do indeed back something larger than an Atlas on the the pad , every dammed time..

As I said in my comment on the first flight of the Stratolaunch aitrcraft at the weekend , We really are living in the future!

One other thing that sets SpaceX apart from the rest is their launch "product".  Multiple high def video feeds, young, energetic announcers with the sound of the crowd cheering in the background, the flight data "dashboard" at bottom of screen, etc, etc.  All very cool.   Compare to the stodgy NASA, Russian launch presentations.

Speaking of Russians, it's truly good to see that soon our days of being blackmailed by the Russians for rides to the ISS will be coming to and end.

If anyone wants to learn a bit more behind Space-X's Falcon Heavy cost model and how they are doing what they are doing, and how they compare to ULA and why the normal pricing model for space flight is so UTTERLY out of whack, I found a very interesting read................ 

HERE is a great article on how Space-X got to its current price point for their launch, and why Falcon Heavy's program is undercutting the competition.