New 1/32 wheels producer - Halberd Models

Jan_G

31 minutes ago, Tony T said:

No they're ruber according to the instructions. (Just kidding.)

I know I'm in a minority amongst "serious" modellers, but I much prefer rubber vinyl. Natural sit, no awkward hub painting. Easy. Smart. 

Let the model do the flattening. Please, please, please Halberd, make these for the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito 

Tony

Hmmmm, Trumpeter's SBD Dauntless-series could do with new tires, too!

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

If they are done right they may work well: no seam, good detail (i.e. manuf marks), either hollow or a soft type that naturally shows weight, is stable over time. If it meets these criteria might be worth having.

Add to that: And made with a material that can be painted and weathered. 

3 hours ago, One-Oh-Four said:

I have yet to see modellers swap out Tamiya's tires with their car and motorcycle-kits.... :whistle:

True, although there are no aftermarket resin or plastic replacements for them that I'm aware of. And, almost every single car and/or motorcycle model that I've seen built has no flat spot(s) on the tires, thus making the whole thing look like it is up on tippy-toes. ;) 

D

29 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

True, although there are no aftermarket resin or plastic replacements for them that I'm aware of. And, almost every single car and/or motorcycle model that I've seen built has no flat spot(s) on the tires, thus making the whole thing look like it is up on tippy-toes. ;) 

D

Hahaha, you’re right. But generally I like the material Tamiya uses for their tires. BTW, if you see bulges / flat spots on a motorcycle tire, it’s either because the tire has a hole in it or is underinflated. You DON’T want to ride it like that, it’ll wallow and scare you to death! 

33 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

D

I did the IL-2 wheels in resin some time ago. I haven't added them to my Sprue Bros inventory though. Anyone needing them can PM me.

Rubber vinyl tyres: stick a pencil through the hole and run them back and forth across glasspaper, emery paper, semi dried paint and any other medium you want to roll them over. Hey, it works!

And the hub/tyre match is perfectos. There's only one thing I hate more than flattened resin tyres; it's propellers that don't turn. Talk about nothing getting better since you were six.

Tony, wanting rubbers for my Mossie!

5 hours ago, One-Oh-Four said:

BTW, if you see bulges / flat spots on a motorcycle tire, it’s either because the tire has a hole in it or is underinflated.

Then you don't know what a "Contact Patch" is or what it looks like? 

D

On 4/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, D Bellis said:

Then you don't know what a "Contact Patch" is or what it looks like? 

D

Well, yes, I do. On a car tire it's quite visible, on a motorcycle tire, it's not. At least not when the motorcycle is standing on it's side stand. Riding a motorcycle on a track does involve lowering the tire pressure, to get the tire to warm up better and to increase the contact patch, but you'll be hard pressed to see bulges on the sidewalls or a flat spot where the tire rests on the ground.

A typical motorcycle contact patch:

cb9c495b17bc28a44ffb50c55572ed63_XL.jpg

You can see the flat spot when the tire is under load, but one hardly sees a bike modelled like this. This is me on the Zandvoort track in 2009 or 2010, BTW:

25587977_964806177003542_452175627235634

Cheers,

Erik.

9 hours ago, One-Oh-Four said:

Well, yes, I do.

Great! Then you know better than to compare a deflated tire with the flat spot under a properly inflated, pneumatic tire as though they were the same thing.

Perfect. 

It also bears stating the obvious in that modern motorcycle tires have absolutely nothing in common with the design of WWII aircraft tires. 

20 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

You can still look at the page, not all Facebook pages require accounts to view. Like that one, it's public. 

Yes, but that's purely passive and not much good for contacting them to plead a case (for Mosquito wheels/tyres), which is what I think was intended in that post.

"Yous can lewk, but yous canna say nowt" 

Tony