New Weathering Pencils from AK Interactive

ringleheim

'Are these different than Prismacolor colored pencils?'

Yes and No.  Prismacolor color wax pencils are not water soluble.  Prismacolor watercolor color pencils are water soluble.

Sincerely,

Mark

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'Are these different than Prismacolor colored pencils?'

Yes and No.  Prismacolor color wax pencils are not water soluble.  Prismacolor watercolor color pencils are water soluble.

Sincerely,

Mark

What are the advantages of water soluble pencils?

18 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Are these different than Prismacolor colored pencils?

Prismacolor is a trade name for an entire line of artists' products.

They have like 8 or 10 lines of colored pencils with varying characteristics.

The most important distinction in working with colored pencils is water based vs. oil based pigments.  The two types of pencils work in 2 totally different ways and give rise to different effects.

I have Faber-Castell sets of 64 (I think) of each and use them quite frequently in the weathering stage.

BTW:  These pencils from AK do not "Add a zero to the price" but why let the facts get in the way of a good, pessimistic rant!

I have used Faber-Castell stuff as well, but had no luck to get metallic shades in local stores. So was really happy that AK did announce this and I was just waiting till my LHS will get them in stock (shipping from Spain was ridicolous) so I ordered already all colors needed.

jan

I went to Michaels( a  us disount art and  hobby store) and got their artist loft water color pencils (24 pencils including a brush)it was  16 usd then 40% off coupon so 10  dollars usd.  If nothing else it is worth it to try it out.  I am not sure the derwant ( which are very expensive) is worth the extra  $.  I am not sure  about the metalic colors I thought the point of this is that with water they ran?  Duplciating dirt grease oil and mud.  Metal colors don't run as such and I would guess their are easier ways to  do chiipping etc.  \

https://www.michaels.com/default/10126136.html#jmp-view-reviews

Edited by dashotgun

Well, I decided to take the plunge with these as they seem like a good idea and liked the AK products I've purchased before, these arrived yesterday and I'm quite impressed with the colours included.

20190413-160939.jpg

20190413-160915.jpg

20190413-160859.jpg

Keen to try these out on a 190 I have which is nearly complete!

DSCN3272.jpg

Regards. Andy

11 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Noticed the tips are particularly blunt and will need a sharpen for very fine work. Personally I would have expected a sharp pencil straight from the box.

Regards. Andy 

Well...  they do have to be shipped from Spain after all.  I don't think any fine tip would survive much jiggling about in the back of a truck. 

I just ordered 13 single pencils from the AK Site for a Euro each.  Shipping was double the cost of the pencils.  The complete set is out of stock at AK, and buying sets of five would have been more expensive still.  Buying them from BNA Model World where they are still on 'preorder' status would still have been more expensive as BNA is not offering any savings.

Sometimes the best option is to buy direct.

Gaz

5 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Noticed the tips are particularly blunt and will need a sharpen for very fine work. Personally I would have expected a sharp pencil straight from the box.

Regards. Andy 

You'll need the AK Interactives especially designed pencil sharpener. 

Using a complex mixture of rare earth metals, it's sharpened to an otherwise unheard of degree of sharpness - NASA have asked for a few for their astronauts.

Coming next - the AK Interactive Kit Box Opening Scissors. Especially designed to effortlessly cut through the irritating bits of plastic that secure the box tightly shut, they will make your completed kit look even better. No plastic can resist the hyper-sharpened edges, as years of testing have yet to find any sellotape that can resist the powerful jaws of these revolutionary tape-cutting utensils. 

Use them in conjunction with the AK Interactive Decal Cutting Scissors, for perfect results every time. Years of perfecting these scissors means that no decal backing will survive being cut, as multiple tests have proved. Even those thick Tamiya decals you sometimes find - after effortlessly cutting the box with your AK Interactive Box Opening Scissors - kneel and quiver before the sharp edges of the AK Interactive Decal Cutting Scissors.

Coming next - The AK Interactive Modelling spectacles. Whilst they are very brightly decorated with various AK Interactive coloured products, they also feature AK Interactive lettering in bold type across both arms and the front of the frame. The lenses are AK Interactive Glass, which allow light to pass through completely unaffected, thus allowing you to enjoy the splendour of your AK Interactive painting and weathering whilst letting the world know that you have equisite taste - and far too much money.

2 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Using a complex mixture of rare earth metals, it's sharpened to an otherwise unheard of degree of sharpness - NASA have asked for a few for their astronauts.

Coming next - the AK Interactive Kit Box Opening Scissors. Especially designed to effortlessly cut through the irritating bits of plastic that secure the box tightly shut, they will make your completed kit look even better. No plastic can resist the hyper-sharpened edges, as years of testing have yet to find any sellotape that can resist the powerful jaws of these revolutionary tape-cutting utensils. 

Use them in conjunction with the AK Interactive Decal Cutting Scissors, for perfect results every time. Years of perfecting these scissors means that no decal backing will survive being cut, as multiple tests have proved. Even those thick Tamiya decals you sometimes find - after effortlessly cutting the box with your AK Interactive Box Opening Scissors - kneel and quiver before the sharp edges of the AK Interactive Decal Cutting Scissors.

Coming next - The AK Interactive Modelling spectacles. Whilst they are very brightly decorated with various AK Interactive coloured products, they also feature AK Interactive lettering in bold type across both arms and the front of the frame. The lenses are AK Interactive Glass, which allow light to pass through completely unaffected, thus allowing you to enjoy the splendour of your AK Interactive painting and weathering whilst letting the world know that you have equisite taste - and far too much money.

In the video the narrator actually says to use a standard pencil sharpener.  Doesn't even offer an AK sharpener.

Gaz

17 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

A little well done satire makes the day bit brighter.  :clap2: