New Weathering Pencils from AK Interactive

ringleheim

Funny to see how those Spanish guys recycle known products with some clever marketing! Such water soluble pencils are available for many years from arts stores!

As we say in French, this makes me wonder if AK did not invent the wheel, hot water and the wire to cut butter...;-)

3 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Source coloured water soluble pencils, stamp "AK Interactive" on them, chuck 'em in a nice, colourful box with a photo of a very colourful scale model on it.

Then add a zero to the price.

yup couldn't agree more

i am so bored of all this now

we have reached - probably long since passed - 'peak pigment' in modelling! :rofl:

same with paints too...everyone trying to re-invent the wheel

afaic the only people to actually release a game changing paint are MRP

all the rest is just noise

I'm actually interested in these.  I like using watercolor pencils and have been getting by with a cheapo children's set that I found while cleaning out my daughters' old toys.  Been looking to get another set but general artist's color palettes are a little different than what modelers are likely to use.  A set of 24 Faber-Castell Watercolors sells for $36 at Amazon with more than half the shades probably not suitable for my use.   A set of 36 Prismacolor Water Soluble pencils sells for $39 but again you're getting colors that are for general art use.   The AK pencils retail for about $1 each and come in sets of modeler-specific applications.  What's not to like?

53 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, I never had this problem as I never purchased sets but only individual colors. 

Me too, but my choices in town of places that carry the Prisma color pencils all seem to charge near $2 + tax.

One of my biggest problems is that I feel that marks made with a paint brush to simulate chipping appear too round.  I just don't feel that I have that exact control of those bristles.  So I too am interested.

My wife has a set of colored pencils that I've raided on occasion.  But I can only use a handful of the large set.  Not much use for "chartreuse" for me.

And with colors suited to my modelling needs...  looks like a win-win to me.

But I have seen these blasted on other sites and even by members of my own modelling club.  But I'll buy some nevertheless.  I was handy with a pencil when I was younger, decent at sketching. 

I just need to find someone selling them.

Gaz

You missed my original point. There is no problem seeing AK releasing that in their range. This is even very good if this improves availability for a fair price. What is really amazing me is their marketing approach. The way they do is quite misleading as they regularly propose such products as totally new concepts whereas what they do is simply adding a layer of Modelling-oriented marketing. They did exactly the same when they released their oil-based and enamel-based products whereas everybody was using them before the arrival of acrylic paints! 

I think what AK et al (mostly Spanish companies?) are doing is making some of the traditional weathering techniques and materials more easily, instantly perhaps, available to today's market.  I must admit I've never bought any at all, preferring to use my own judgement (I hesitate to use the word "skills") to create the effects that I want.

8 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

Cough, BNA Model World, cough, cough....  

He's got em ( singles and sets ) on preorder and I would bet they aren't too far away :)

I hate pre-order, or ordering stuff that is not in stock.  I like that I can order from BNA and have in in a few days...  it suits my impatient nature.

Gaz