How nice it would be......

Starfighter Jock

If I was truly desperate to build a P-51B, I would convince myself to have a go at the Trumpeter kit.  But after suffering through a couple of their offerings, I personally have sworn off any more of their kits, the frustration is just not worth it for me, it's a hobby after all.  So now here comes some opinion, the new generation of Tamiya 1/32 kits are a pure modelers dream, same for Wingnut WIngs, HK and ZM, although the later two just don't hold the same level of engineering that the Big T and WnW do.  At this point in my modeling building life, I am getting old,  I have sold off the mass majority of kits and related stuff I have collected over the years and have only kept the kits that I want to build and will most likely build, which includes 6 Tamiya P-51D/K kits.  If Tamiya were to release the B, I would be buying a few of those, along with a P-38 if that ever happens.  The only other kit I have on my radar to buy at this point in time is the upcoming WnW 1/32 Lancaster "Dambuster".  Although I may or may not ever build it, the fact that this could very well be the best plastic model ever produced to date is just all the convincing I need to own one, the same would hold true for me if Tamiya continues to pursue additional WWII aircraft in their 1/32 line.  I would buy it just because I know what to expect, a damn near perfect model kit. 

Kirk

1 hour ago, Starfighter Jock said:

If I was truly desperate to build a P-51B, I would convince myself to have a go at the Trumpeter kit.  But after suffering through a couple of their offerings, I personally have sworn off any more of their kits, the frustration is just not worth it for me, it's a hobby after all.  So now here comes some opinion, the new generation of Tamiya 1/32 kits are a pure modelers dream, same for Wingnut WIngs, HK and ZM, although the later two just don't hold the same level of engineering that the Big T and WnW do.  At this point in my modeling building life, I am getting old,  I have sold off the mass majority of kits and related stuff I have collected over the years and have only kept the kits that I want to build and will most likely build, which includes 6 Tamiya P-51D/K kits.  If Tamiya were to release the B, I would be buying a few of those, along with a P-38 if that ever happens.  The only other kit I have on my radar to buy at this point in time is the upcoming WnW 1/32 Lancaster "Dambuster".  Although I may or may not ever build it, the fact that this could very well be the best plastic model ever produced to date is just all the convincing I need to own one, the same would hold true for me if Tamiya continues to pursue additional WWII aircraft in their 1/32 line.  I would buy it just because I know what to expect, a damn near perfect model kit. 

Kirk

Tread carefully, and you'll find some Trumpeter kits really are excellent - the Avenger was a joy to build, as was the Swordfish - accurate as well. A relaxed build.

Then again, they did the P-51B, MIG-3, Spitfire Mk V.b, F4U....

1 hour ago, Starfighter Jock said:

Kirk

I agree with respect to the Trumpeter P-51B, Trumpeter makes some great kits as Dean points out above.  I have nothing against Trumpeter, but for the most part I won’t build a bad kit.  There are so many great kits of subjects I love and so many new ones coming out all the time, that if I don’t like the standard the kit is designed to I wont touch it.  There just is too many nice choices out there for my preferences to bother with something that I don’t like.  I know many on here think in terms of subject but for me it is subject and kit.  I will consider a subject based upon the kit in many cases if a great kit comes out that I would not have thought of building on my own.  

14 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I agree with respect to the Trumpeter P-51B, Trumpeter makes some great kits as Dean points out above.  I have nothing against Trumpeter, but for the most part I won’t build a bad kit.  There are so many great kits of subjects I love and so many new ones coming out all the time, that if I don’t like the standard the kit is designed to I wont touch it.  There just is too many nice choices out there for my preferences to bother with something that I don’t like.  I know many on here think in terms of subject but for me it is subject and kit.  I will consider a subject based upon the kit in many cases if a great kit comes out that I would not have thought of building on my own.  

I most certainly agree, the time I allow myself at the workbench is limited so I prefer to spend that time working on a subject that I am interested in having in my display case along with a kit that meets my standards.   I am thankful that we do live in this golden age of abundance in model kit subjects along with the technology that allows such superior kits to be designed and manufactured.  Just makes the hobby that much more interesting and appealing, but I would need that P-51B to call it perfect. LOL.  

2 hours ago, Starfighter Jock said:

Kirk

I feel about Revell and Special Hobby as you feel about Trumpeter.    I really would suggest that you give them one more go- the 1/32 Dauntless really is an outstanding kit and I would describe it as a faultless build.  There are other goodies they do, the Avenger, Swordfish, 262 and Yak 3  are all superb.  Just dont use their decals and prepare with some research into the internal colours.   

As far as how nice it would be.... A 1/32 Martin B-26 Marauder would be awesome! It would compliment my 1/32 17's, 24 and 25's.

While I understand a good P-51B is needed, I'm quite done with all the various fighters. It's time for some heavier stuff in 1/32!! :)

-Ro