How nice it would be......

Starfighter Jock

20 minutes ago, Royboy said:

I wonder how sales of the other 1/32 WWII fighters in their range are selling for Tamiya?

If the numbers aren't that good from their expectations then they'll simply rely on re-issues of the others for their profits in the future.

Rumours are that they're giving up on 1/32 scale aircraft?

What chances of new aircraft stuff coming at all? 

No 1/32 jets from them for years now, and how much would they be in comparison with others? Not everyone can afford the higher prices of these super kits.

Perhaps the super detailed large aircraft kits that cost so much to tool are at an end from them?

Incidentally, I would love to know the sales figures of the 1/32 scale Mosquito since it came onto the market! 

Happy days anyway, we've never had it so good regardless!!!

From what I have been gathering, its likely they are not going to issue LSP jets any more. Ive not heard anything about a total removal of LSPs/32nd kits from their lineup. 

I really thought Revell should have led with the P-51B before they did their new tool P-51D.  There was already a great Tamiya D and we really need a good new B in the market.  They could have owned that first then done their D model.  I still think Revell should do a B model.  That might get me to buy a Revell kit as the D did look quite good.  They could come to market faster than HK or ZM as Revell would not bother with an engine and unless the engine is done the Tamiya way with super thin cowlings and so on, I would probably glue it all shut anyway.  

I don’t think we are going to get a Tamiya P-51B,C but who knows.  I am hopeful right now that we will get a new Tamiya 1/32 airplane announcement in. Mid May but I have no idea what it is and have not been able to find a clue still.  I have found nothing either that make me believe we won’t get a 1/32 so that is good in itself for now.  

5 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I really thought Revell should have led with the P-51B before they did their new tool P-51D.  There was already a great Tamiya D and we really need a good new B in the market.  They could have owned that first then done their D model.  I still think Revell should do a B model.  That might get me to buy a Revell kit as the D did look quite good.  They could come to market faster than HK or ZM as Revell would not bother with an engine and unless the engine is done the Tamiya way with super thin cowlings and so on, I would probably glue it all shut anyway.  

I don’t think we are going to get a Tamiya P-51B,C but who knows.  I am hopeful right now that we will get a new Tamiya 1/32 airplane announcement in. Mid May but I have no idea what it is and have not been able to find a clue still.  I have found nothing either that make me believe we won’t get a 1/32 so that is good in itself for now.  

I'm thinking that Revell have a pretty decent marketing department, who would have done some reasonable market research prior to project initiating? I'd also imagine - because I don't know - that this would involve conversations with their biggest customers, which would be wholesale international distributors, in the main. They are the ones effectively buying Revell's kits. So I also suspect that the message coming back to Revell was something along the lines of "the D will sell more than the B because it looks cooler/is more recognisable/offers more schemes/looks better on the box/sold more in 1/48 and 1/72/is less of a risk/is more well known/was manufactured in greater numbers/carriers more ordnance/is silver coloured/etc, etc.

I may well be wrong - I usually am, I'm married - but I suspect that we 1/32 detail and shape fanatics are not the market Revell aims for.

6 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I really thought Revell should have led with the P-51B before they did their new tool P-51D.  There was already a great Tamiya D and we really need a good new B in the market.

Revell probably did the math. People like me who would love a P-51D but cannot afford a Tamiya kit but can just about stretch to a nicely priced Revell one. Always look at your potential customers needs and disposable income.

THe HK and ZM kits will both be closer to Tamiya pricing than Revell.  I don’t see a Revell P-51B for $30.00 anything other than a big hit for them.  Personally I would prefer to bargain hunt and buy a Tamiya D over the Revell kit having an actual choice between the two.  Anyway I don’t want to speak to any one modelers finances as I don’t want to disrespect anyone but many on here are sitting on dozens if not hundred of models with $1,000 or more tied up in their stash and still buying so for most on here I don’t think it matters that much in the end if a model costs 30 and they buy three or 100 and they buy one.  

I feel like the Tamiya mustang is fairly cheap modeling as the contents of the box are more than sufficient in their own right.  Many on here would take the Revell kit and spend significantly more money on it.  That is not mandatory with the Tamiya kit.  Either kit I would add Baracuda cockpit placards and a set of wheels.  If doing a -5 the new Eduard IP is a good buy because no one offers the white IP strips and they are a bit of a devil to make your own.  Otherwise I can get more value for money out of the Tamiya kit personally so I don’t have a problem with the higher price.  

Anyway for existing kits I am firmly in the Tamiya camp.  I do hope we see a nice new B come out soon though, I would think not many on this website would complain.  As far as math skills goes, Revell has offered kits that won’t sells as well as a P-51B for example the big twin engine night fighter they did.  Also the 1/72 U-Boats would not offer the same volume as a B model mustang.  I assume you are right the D out sells the B but there are a lot of people that already have Tamiya D models that did not buy a revell kit.  I have not purchased one myself as I had already built two Tamiya D’s.

As a matter of perspective, I do not own a large stash of models, I have a few partially built kits, some mine, some others that I bought as bargains but otherwise I only have 4 1/32 planes on hand, new in box, I have some 1/48 planes, Car kits and some armor kits but my total new kits on hand is probably around 20.  I had to sell a prized purchase this week as I need cash for my sons activities.  Also typically when I build a kit and finish it, I sell it to finance my other purchases or to pay a bill or two.  So my modeling while a cash negative, does get some pay back.  

Edited by cbk57

I'd also love to see a new tool B Mustang, as would the overwhelming majority of people on this forum of hardcore 1/32 aeroplane modellers.

Which suggests to me that we are not representative of the market at large, and we account for a tiny percentage of that market, especially so for Revell? So tiny, they just ignore us.

2 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

I'd also love to see a new tool B Mustang, as would the overwhelming majority of people on this forum of hardcore 1/32 aeroplane modellers.

Which suggests to me that we are not representative of the market at large, and we account for a tiny percentage of that market, especially so for Revell? So tiny, they just ignore us.

Is that the same Revell that brought out the 1/32 Ju88 A1 and A4? The He111 P1 and H6? The Me262 B-1a and soon to be released A-1a? Bf109 G6 and G10? Fw190 A8/R11.

So they haven't brought out the kit you (and probably many others want). At least they are bringing out kits in 1/32.

Sorry to digress from the OP. 

3 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

You would think that the case, especially in a rational market, assuming rational business practices.  I have given up on rationality as the reasoning behind what model companies do.  There are too many things coming out of left field in plastic for the market to make sense anymore.  I don’t argue Revell should listen to us by any means.  However, I don’t think their product planning is as sophisticated as we assume.  Mustangs have been a safe bet in most model scales since WWII.  That does not seem to have change, I would question the market for 1/32 P-51A’s but the B,C and D have not faced a lot of challenges in sales and have been kitted through multiple generations of kit starting with the earliest forms of injection kits.  

Revell has kitted far less successful subjects than the Mustang B so I don’t think it is as sophisticated as we would lead ourselves to bleive.  However, I know they would look at certain subjects and say no way.  For example Revell would not entertain a highly detailed 1/32 B-17, Lancaster, or Mitchell.  

55 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Is that the same Revell that brought out the 1/32 Ju88 A1 and A4? The He111 P1 and H6? The Me262 B-1a and soon to be released A-1a? Bf109 G6 and G10? Fw190 A8/R11.

So they haven't brought out the kit you (and probably many others want). At least they are bringing out kits in 1/32.

Sorry to digress from the OP. 

I'm not knocking Revell in the slightest. At the moment, they are my favourite manufacturer, they create very decent models at very low prices.

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

We really need to have a talk mate. :lol: 

I know.

I have to find some way to build a kit quick enough to get them all done before I pass onto the afterworld, in which Tamiya have actually made a P-51B.

I'm 51. Maybe I've 20 years of modelling left, before my eyesight goes or my arthritis gets worse, or I'm hit on the head by a passing asteroid. Roughly 300 kits, so 25 a year - two weeks for each kit. If you're over 70 and still modelling, please ignore me, I don't know of what I speak.

Sounds reasonable enough to me. Except maybe the multi-engined aeroplanes?

We all yearn for new 1/32 models from Tamiya. (Me as much as anyone else!)

But the reality (for me) is that the number of Tamiya 1/32 kits in my stash is probably enough to last a lifetime :whistle:

And they have already done a lot of my absolute favourite aircraft, so if they didn't do any more I still have enough subjects and kits to keep me going for years at my build speed.

..but, but, I really would love a Hawker Hurricane, Sea Fury or an Me109/FW190!

I just checked Hobby Search to see new kit announcements, to illustrate the point that Model making companies are a bit crazy anymore, Hasegawa is issuing a 1/35 scale Japanese market combine, I think used in Rice harvesting but not sure.  It certainly is not for wheat or corn from what I can see of the header.  The market is just so diverse as to what people will buy it boggles the mind.  

Just checked Hobby Link Japan, I don’t know if this is news or not but Revell is releasing a 1/32 ME-262A1 https://hlj.com/shizuoka-hobby-show-2019-sneak-peek

There is nothing new from Tamiya yet, all three of the listings shown were announced and shown earlier in the year.  I think this is good news as we have hope for a LSP from Tamiya.

No other LSP’s at the moment that i see and above all nothing new on a p-51B.  Hope to see something from ZM soon.

Edited by cbk57