Revell F/A-18E Super Hornet build.

dmthamade

Well, my Phantom build is currently on the stalled shelf. Nothing wrong with the build, i've just lost interest...A lot has been written and shown what a disaster the new Revell Bug kit is, I've been waiting for the release, so against all recommendations i did buy the kit. I have done the Trumpeter kit, and like the Revell kit it has many ways for things to go wrong. Reading through the instructions and looking at the parts, i can see where thought and planning will be needed to complete the build without having things go bad. Mouldings look good, details look crisp. Cockpit is pretty sparse, seats look funny, can't vouch for accuracy. I see the parts where bulkheads have to be trimmed, may have a workaround for that. Weapons look OK....so far so good!! I have to say, these are some of the biggest sprues i've seen, and there is a lot of plastic in the box. Very large/colorful decal sheet, printed in Italy(cartograf?) Kinda a toss up who did it better, Revell or Trumpeter....

FIaODK.jpg

Everything on the wall.

m0hIxZ.jpg

Don

And it starts!!

Before.

LkkDmI.jpg

After.

soie9h.jpg

The bulkheads that seem to be causing so much angst don't really seem to do much, may add a little support to the upper fuselage, but i may have a workaround for that. There is moulded on detail on the upper part of R6 that is seen through the early ECS(?) parts, i'm using the late parts so i can lose the part i cut out. Cutting apart the intakes allows me to work on the seam all the length of the tube, and after trimming the locators at the end i will be able to easily add the engine faces. All the locators are on the bottom of the tubes, so positioning these parts is no problem....i hope.

Don

Well, I have to say, this kit reminds me a bit of a limited production kit, like the Czech Masters T-33. Working on the exhaust parts, I find cutting the tailpipes separate was a good idea. The fit of the two halves require scraping away at the parting joins, and trying to fit  the rear turbine, well it's too big for the opening. There is no way you could join the two halves with the turbine in place, you have to scrape away plastic either on the turbine or the opening, and it's not a small amount. The flameholder is not well moulded, flash, uneven moldings mean these need a lot of clean-up. If there is one saving grace, you really can't see any of this afterwards, the opening of the tailpipes is small compared to an F-15. Trying to do all this as the instructions show would be very difficult. The intakes are a different story. After cleaning up the parting lines, the two halves fit surprisingly well. Don't think they will need a lot of cleanup/fill, though I haven't tried to fit the front fans, yet. Really, nothings too bad to do yet, though I've only worked with 10-12 parts....and there's a lot of styrene in this big box....

Don

Busy with stuff, but managed to get the main wheelwell assembly done. Lots of parts go into this, and after a lot of cleanup of parting joints of flash, the parts fit....really well. depth of the bay seems accurate, not shallow, bulkheads thin, l do like how the side panels interlock with the front and rear bulkheads...What's missing are all the small hydralic lines and wire bundles. Personal preference would have been simpler parts with more moulded in details. Not one to add a lot of stuff, simpler build with more detail would be OK with me.

zckAkU.jpg

Much has been said about the complex fuselage parts, especially the lower and intakes. After doing a dryfit with cleaned up parts, i find the fit here is...remarkably good!! There is one area that will need some thought, that being between the intakes. There is a large part moulded with the lower part, its fit with the intakes is a little problematic. There is still a lot of areas to clean up to improve the fit here, i may just cut it off, work the intake fit, then add later. Another option is to cut it off and glue it to the front lower fuselage halves and work the fit later. On the Trumpeter kit, the fit here was crucial to the fit of many parts the fit of the lower wing parts interlock with the lower fuselage sides, so the fit of the sides ic also crucial.

5iCGW9.jpg

Don

More fit stuff. The side pieces alignment is better after scraping away excess plastic on the intake/lower fuselage parts.  Some parts need minor work, some need a good amount of scraping. I've highlighted areas to work by brown Sharpie.

ewop0y.jpg

jEtO6T.jpg

oqpuhS.jpg

Inner intake parts needed a bit of work, fit was not too bad. That center part seemed to fall right into place, but i won't glue this to the intake walls until the upper and lower are assembled and the forward fuselage is installed.

sbW25z.jpg

hb7Sxz.jpg

Fit looks ok, gaps are due to not being clamped. They do align well.

ha6mnc.jpg

The lower wing surfaces key into the fuselage sides, fit at the front is important as the intakes meet here, too. Get this area right to prevent problems later.

xPNjxX.jpg

The lower wing is supposed to key in, but doesn't. The groove is too narrow for the fuselage side fo fit, sooooo.....more scrapping!!!

uyHtZx.jpg

This should end up like this.

uaohNN.jpg

Make sure of this fit now before gluing on the side pieces, trying to scrape the side when installed would be difficult. Looking forward, i'm trying to decide if it would be better to glue the lower wings onto the fuselage, then glue on the top, or glue the wing bottoms onto the upper piece first. I'm leaning towards the second idea. I have to say, if your on the fence  about buying this kit, do so now while the moulds are fresh. If the flash is bad now, when the moulds are old it means even more work.

Don

On 4/14/2019 at 12:04 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Boy, this kit does take some wrestling! Your showing it who is boss, though!

Yup!! I think the complex assembly and parts count is necessary due to all the shapes and sculpting of the F/A-18E. The Trumpeter kit really is no different, just their way of engineering a kit to ensure all the shapes and curves are accurate. This isn't a slab sided fighter like a F-4 Phantom or a basically round long tube like an F-104, it's full of complex shapes and curves. Did a dry fit with a few parts, taped together the bottom, intakes and sides, then fitted the top, fit looks....pretty darn good!!

7kYOVe.jpg

v6ZJa6.jpg

I did go ahead and glue the sides onto the intakes at the front, managed a tight fit here. Everything lined up with the bottom, so it's good to go. You can see the alignment with the bottom wing grooves is good, will have to build some supports between the fuselage top and the wing bottom to help with alignment.

6BDkuu.jpg

Isn't a great kit, needs more work than it should, but i think it'll be ok.

Don

Long weekend, weather has been rain and rain. Star Wars marathon on tv, so have been able to spend time at the bench. Did manage to get all parts glued together for the lower fuselage parts. The two parts that make up the front inner intake parts needed an insane amount of work to fit right without causing fit problems to other parts.

3WqKi8.jpg

After all the work, that center piece fell into place nicely, no squeezing/hacking needed, just sits right!!

3xlEG8.jpg

I will need filler at two spots, at the intake and the fuselage. No big deal.

jz1h16.jpg

UdnxkZ.jpg

I'm thinking of the weapons loadout, and it includes an AIM-120 on a shoulder mount. Dryfitting shows a very poor fit.

MKarDS.jpg

Ez1vJG.jpg

Now, the kit doesn't include the mounts, but there shouldn't be this big a gap. There should be an indent on the fuselage side where the upper front fin of the missile should fit, not present on the kit...missile won't look right or fit right without reworking the fuselage....big boo to Revell.

Did manage to paint and add the front fans to the intakes, and painted and weathered the exhaust. Nothing really accurate about the exhaust, after market would be best if you care. After many dry fit sessions, i decided to glue the wing bottoms to the lower fuselage. Much easier to get a solid glue joint this way.

zYHz7J.jpg

ZApXdd.jpg

Alignment is a concern, the groove the fuselage locks into pretty much sets the alignment, just be certain where the fuselage sides, inner intake and wing top meet all align like this.

C9GDqq.jpg

Have to say, the part in the instructions where it says to remove material from the three ribs is comical, they should be instructing us that removal of material from pretty much all parts will be necessary!! Looking at adding the upper fuselage next, mine has a bit of twist/warpage, so will be a little work to fit.

Don

On 4/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, dmthamade said:

MKarDS.jpg

What an unfortunate piece of... "Engineering" shall we call it. Sad that the Revell I grew up on, that was showing continuous signs of improvement, dropped the ball so badly.

Keep up the good work. It almost looks like a fun challenge (if you have masochistic tendencies :mental:).

Is that the kit AMRAAM? It looked more detailed in the instruction sheet. I ask because I am about ready to release an aftermarket version ( http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/306361-132-aim-120/ ) and want comparisons to existing parts.

:beer4:

13 hours ago, Zactoman said:

What an unfortunate piece of... "Engineering" shall we call it. Sad that the Revell I grew up on, that was showing continuous signs of improvement, dropped the ball so badly.

Keep up the good work. It almost looks like a fun challenge (if you have masochistic tendencies :mental:).

Is that the kit AMRAAM? It looked more detailed in the instruction sheet. I ask because I am about ready to release an aftermarket version ( http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/306361-132-aim-120/ ) and want comparisons to existing parts.

:beer4:

For the life of me, I can't remember what kit this came from. I had it in the spares bin, compared it to examples on my builds and on sprues to see that it was at least the same dimensionally. Revells  recent kits have been pretty good lately, the Hornet kit I can't compare it to any recent mainstream kit as it is so...bad. I compare it to some "Limited release" kits I've seen and built, the Czech Masters T-33 comes to mind. 

Don