F-84G Thunderbird - Complete!

themongoose

Woohoo thanks guy. The beauty of foil I'm discovering is how easy it is to fix things up. I repaired the wing areas and some spots along the fuselage today. Glued her together and thought I was done for the weekend since we're traveling for a wedding...

IMG_6392-L.jpg

...but I'm still waiting for my wife to get ready to leave so I figured there was enough time for one more small job...foil the canopy

IMG_6396-L.jpg

IMG_6399-L.jpg

Definitely done now as I don't want to get called out for delaying us, thus transitioning the discussion with the in-laws to how I made us late brouhaha

• themongoose changed the title to F-84G Thunderbird - Painting & clean-up

She is as DONE as I can get her right now! Once I figure out how to print decals I will add the Thunderbird and Country logos for the final touch.

Built completely out of the box. Foiled using Microscale foil glue and kitchen foil of varying weights. The foil around the exhaust was treated with bleach, pennies, and fishing weights to develop the heat affected zone. All graphics are painted on using Maketar Kabuki paper and my Silhouette Cameo3. This plane represents the 1954 show season (albeit without the country and Thunderbird logos because I haven’t mastered making my own decals yet if you know what I mean ;-) )The only decals are in the cockpit and the no-step lettering on the wings. Paints are MCW(Model Car World) acrylic lacquer for the plane and Vallejo acrylics in the cockpit.

Kudos go to Out2gtcha and MikeA for all their help in learning to foil. Thanks Guys!

Here's a close-out shot with more over on the RFI forum: F-84G Thunderbirds

IMG_6429-L.jpg

IMG_6435-L.jpg

I hope you all have enjoyed this build. I sure have! learned alot and will be using these skills on the next 3 Thunderbirds I have to do in completing the family. 

• themongoose changed the title to F-84G Thunderbird - Complete!
59 minutes ago, jumpjack said:

Beautiful!

Is that a proprietary display stand?

Hey Jumpjack, that’s Tamiya’s stand from their F-16. I know it comes in the Thunderbirds boxing but not sure about the others. I’ve picked up 5 of them from guys who don’t use them over the last couple years. It comes with big mold lines and attachment points on it. I sand it all down and then polish it to make it presentable.