Fokker pair 2

sandbagger

Hi all,
The lower wing is now installed, with some slight adjustments to clear the fuselage side frames and to give adequate access to the single wing strut mounting location.
Next is the undercarriage, once I've completed making the undercarriage struts from brass tube and rod,

Mike

lowwingfit2.jpg

Ok - I need help if there is anyone out there who can explain how the interaction of the aileron control cables works, as I can't find any details of this.

This I know:
1. At the forward end of the control column torque tube is a staggered double bell-crank. Twin aileron control cables are attached to each end of the bell-crank and are routed diagonally across each other to exit through the top of the opposite fuselage side.
2. The twin cables enter the underside of the upper wing, close to the inboard wing strut mounting.
3. The cables are routed around twin pulleys fitted to the rear face of the wing front spar.
4. The cables are the routed outboard to another pair of pulleys, fitted on the spar opposite the aileron control horns.

My problem is that photographs show what I assume are the left inboard pulleys with the two fuselage cables routed around them. One cable is routed outboard I assume to the aileron pulleys. The other is routed in the opposite direction across the wing centre section to presumably the opposite aileron.
However there appears to be a third cable routed horizontally across the top of the twin pulleys and running through a tubular cable housing.
This would seem to suggest that the third cable is interconnected between the two ailerons in some way? 

So basically, how were the aileron cables routed across the upper wing and to and from the cockpit bell-crank???
I'm close to completing the skeletal Fokker D.VII and would want to fudge these cables using guesswork,

Mike

aileron2.jpg

ailpulley1.jpg

ailpulley2.jpg

pulleys.jpg

Hi all,

I was shown a diagram of the Fokker DR.1, which had similar controls.
The only photos I had were of the left wing pulleys so I assumed the right side pulleys were the same - wrong.
The control cables for the aileron top control horns cross in the wing centre section - I assumed they didn't which is why I couldn't figure out their interaction.
It all makes sense now.

ailerondiag.jpg

I can move on to finish the build now,

Mike 

Hi all,
The upper wing is nearly there.
I just have the ailerons and their control cables and associated pulleys to add, plus the trailing edge wire.
After that it'll be fitting the wing and struts, engine exhaust and propeller, wheels and aileron control cables connected - then that'll be it,

Mike

upper8.jpg

Hi all,
The aileron outer control cable pulleys are fitted.
Made from photo-etch set intended for the Sopwith Triplane and modified to suit the Fokker D.VII pulleys.
The control lines are loosely routed for now.

Next are the inboard pulleys,

Mike

outerpulleys.jpg