Can the Trumpeter 1/32 F-8J be backdated to an F-8E?

Spaced Marine

Offhand the primary physical differences were the J had double leading edge slats on the wing, a larger horizontal stab, and ECM fairing towards the top of the tail. I believe those parts (and maybe a few others) are the only different sprues  between the Trumpeter E and J kit.

edit: I think the J's also had beefed up landing gear and later different engines, I don't recall though if Trumpeter had those changes?

At one point I had planned to cover F-8J decals but don't think it will happen. I find the J schemes better than the E's.

Edited by ziggyfoos
forgot gear and engines

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I have the set, the French one is very cool.

The kit provided Spirit of 76" scheme is nice too.

If I can’t find the French shark mouth option, the kits Spirit of 76 will my choice. 

I just tesllu love that dark dark blue gray & shark mouth!

4 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Offhand the primary physical differences were the J had double leading edge slats on the wing, a larger horizontal stab, and ECM fairing towards the top of the tail. I believe those parts (and maybe a few others) are the only different sprues  between the Trumpeter E and J kit.

edit: I think the J's also had beefed up landing gear and later different engines, I don't recall though if Trumpeter had those changes?

At one point I had planned to cover F-8J decals but don't think it will happen. I find the J schemes better than the E's.

Yep.  The two Trumpeter kits had unique sprues with the LE flaps (droops), stabs, and a stick on ECM fairing for the J.  The kits had one or the other sprues.  They did not change the engine or gear.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:48 AM, Spaced Marine said:

If I can’t find the French shark mouth option, the kits Spirit of 76 will my choice. 

I just tesllu love that dark dark blue gray & shark mouth!

French E model Crusaders had the J's double droop flaps and larger stabs, so the J would be appropriate kit for that.

The Trumpeter lower fin L/E is a bit on the chunky side. Have been searching for suitable comparison photos without success. I suspect the kit fin, once fuselage halves are joined, is far too blunt.

Other items to watch are the ca.1968-1975 ALQ-100 DECM blisters missing from inbetween/near the MLG wells, and the always-was-a hold-back bar and well in the airbrake area.

I have G-Factor LG and it apparently gives the jet a better gait. Have yet to get that far. If you go French, there are Matra missiles in the Italeri Mirage III kits. Fisher used to make a lovely replacement windshield (and hopefully many of Paul's patterns can be resuscitated, including the RF-8G conversion).

Dunno about the one here: torn between the red & white checkerboard mkgs of a VF-24 J on Hancock in 1972 (Zotz), and a 1970s Aeronavale E-FN (a de facto J, mkgs from Berna). Both are in light gull grey over white. When you go dark French blue there are all kinds of knobs and antennae to factor in. 

It was one of Trumpeter's bestest Noughties-era jet kits. If only they'd done the Cruze's petite fat sister the A-7E to the same standard!

Tony