Mixing FS16473

b757captain

I don't have access to my trusty stash of MM ADC Gray here in Japan. I'm currently set up for Mr. Color and Tamiya paints (the regulars ones, not the goofy Acrysion, etc.). Neither has a color listing for FS 16473 which I need for the topcoat on the KH F-101B I'm working on. Anybody have a quick solution besides switching to Vallejo or another paint brand? I'd prefer to stick with what I'm using for now at least. I'm not against mixing up a brew of Tamiya since I have access to the full line here. Mr. Color also but sometimes it takes trips to several stores to find the more obscure colors.

Thanks!

Mark san

Found this on the internets:

Hope this might help someone somewhere. have been unable to unearth a formula for getting FS 16473 "aircraft grey" in Tamiya paints from google or the varius known color resources out there on the interweb so I spent the last 2 nights coming up with my own. I consider my old bottle of Testors 16473 to be a good baseline - it looks the part when compared to varius photos. I was able to get a very good match using the following formula XF-22: 1 XF-23:1 XF-2: 5 . I re-mixed 3 times then scaled up with near perfect matches everytime. 

According to the eagle files "tigers over china" this is most likely the color Dupont had laying around when they had to come up with a match to paint the hawks sold to the RAF. It seams to be as good a theory as any, and it certainly is starting to look the part on my Airfix P-40.

14 hours ago, Bill_S said:

The first digit being 1 indicates a gloss finish. I don't know how you'll accomplish what you want using Tamiya's XF series.

Gloss coat. I almost exclusively paint the base coat flat then gloss to taste. Works great. Most modern automotive two stage and three stage finishes are like this also, the color coat is flat and dries to a coverable or repairable state in minutes, then clear coat.

14 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

This is why we don't use color names!!  There's no such color in the FS595 as "neutral gray" or "ADC gray" or "aircraft gray".  The reason the system was implemented was to eliminate the massive confusion caused by using non-standard color names.  

What modelers call ADC or Aircraft Gray is FS 16473

What modelers call Neutral Gray (as it was called in WWII) is (approximately) FS 36173

Two totally different and unrelated colors.

I think we've got a chicken/egg thing here - I'd blame the paint manufacturers first, they are the ones creating color names, we're just using them!

Mark

According to colour mixing app, you could try:

Tamiya: XF19 3 parts with XF75 2 parts. It looks a pretty exact match to my eye.

Mr Color: C32 4 parts with C11 3 parts

Let me know if it looks OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up on the FS16473 mix:

I tried most all the suggestions from everyone but finally came up with this:

DqVpnqP.jpg

It's a mix of Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue, 1 part: XF-66 Light Grey, 2 parts: and XF-1 White, 14 parts.

The mix I found from the IPMS site said 23:1, 66:2, and 1:7 but Tamiya's idea of Light Grey isn't very light. This ratio looked way too dark for me so I kept adding white until it looked right. A better mix would be only 1 part XF-66 to 7 parts white. To my eye it looks right and now that I've got decals on it looks even better. Stay tuned, I'll post the completed model in the Non LSP Works section as soon as I get the last bits put on.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mark