Jedha city

spacewolf

Vaughan, I'm just catching up with this. It looks absolutely fantastic already. Any plans to enlarge this for the Zvezda SD? :D

One thing I liked about Rogue One was you got to see Gold Squadron's Y-Wings take out  the Star Destroyers and not just be cannon fodder like they were in A New Hope. 

Carl

On 4/12/2019 at 7:47 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

Excellent city planning and building. I can imagine the time it takes to add all these tiny bits!

Looking forward to that mountain!

Alain

I managed about a square inch a night...  It was daunting and making it up on the fly.. trying to do variations so it wasn't just the same type buildings over and over. It was a challenge but fun.

One mountain coming up !!

On 4/13/2019 at 4:55 AM, mustang1989 said:

I foresee that one day you'll be in charge of city planning somewhere. Great layout!! 

NOOOOOOO !!! :frantic:

As Opus would say, "no, nope noppitty nope" !!

On 4/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

Vaughan, I'm just catching up with this. It looks absolutely fantastic already. Any plans to enlarge this for the Zvezda SD? :D

One thing I liked about Rogue One was you got to see Gold Squadron's Y-Wings take out  the Star Destroyers and not just be cannon fodder like they were in A New Hope. 

Carl

Thanks Carl.. and no.. no plans to make one twice the size !! There are pics on line of an Asian modeler who scratch built one for the Zvesda kit and someone else who did it for Randy Coopers kit.. wonderful madness to see !!

Ya it was neat to see the ships actually showing their potential. I wish we had more stories around the lead up to a New Hope.

So kids... It's 'that' time again !!:frantic:

Armed with a couple of boxes of milliput I set about attempting ground work for the first time in decades... First I had to think about support and how to do it... I eyed up pics of the stonework around the city walls and cut shapes for both ends of the city, then glued the walls onto sheet... The idea was to try and keep the seams as tight as possible for builders.

i2linWH.jpg

Then eyeballing the pics I mixed up milliput and started playing...

5yufCTh.jpg

ZAuNpy5.jpg

jGYZ3R7.jpg

I had no idea what I was doing.. I used my fingers, scrap bits of plastic, water and a brush to help sculpt and blend the putty constantly going back and looking at the pics from the movie.. the stone was different on either side.. one side looked like the untouched mountain, the other looked like stone had been cut away..

rFZYCkb.jpg

pMgpFjE.jpg

I was really thrilled at how some parts worked out.. this will look amazing once painted by someone who knows what they are doing !

P9jwqq7.jpg

I was still slogging along with the city construction..

sTuTNgp.jpg

As the city 'plate' was just 1/16 sheet I added a 1/16 doubler to stiffen it and hopefully avoid warps in the casting process..

QImY9ny.jpg

I'd work on the mountain, then switch over and do a bit of building on the city...

nwjj3xi.jpg

Fitted together it's a solid structure. It will be heavy enough and have a big enough 'footprint' to make a stable base for the SD.. or can be a stand alone model in and of itself. If one wanted to light the city with fiber optics there will be room...

XpwAReh.jpg

And here we are... still working on it ... I found that in a few spots I hadn't mixed the putty enough and it stayed soft, so had to gouge out the soft part, make up more putty and re do it.. (I'm up to 5 boxes of putty now)... but I'm reasonably pleased at how it looks and the way the seams fit..

Wqkbt3p.jpg

nezgZQt.jpg

ctt7jD4.jpg

So there you go... Tune in next week to see what happens ! Hopefully I won't have fallen off the mountain !!

Cheers

Edited by spacewolf

Super impressive build going  on here I must say! 

The only thing I would suggest is having a removable building plate where a mounting pole can go. Not every  modeller will want to destroy some ground work to be able to install a mounting pole. Personally I think it would be a selling point to be able to remove a plug rather than have to rebuild some of those  details.

Looking forward to the next update