Jedha city

spacewolf

Hey all, it's been a while. A change in work and becoming a 'daywalker' (regular day job) has had me in a building funk for a while and stalled my participation in the multi eng group build. I've been going a bit stir crazy wanting to build, all kinds of kits and idea's but the Muse just wouldn't inspire. I had picked up a couple of resin Star Wars kits from JPG Productions and was just cleaning them up when Bandai announced their new Star Destroyer kit. JPG had done a small Jedha city to go with the tiny SD Bandai had brought out...

lWIhOxv.jpg

Painted up with the SD it looks good (pic snagged from Britmodeler, artist handle 'Goon')...

nOCNVkd.jpg

Talking with Jimi I asked him if he was bringing out a bigger scale Jedha city to go with the new SD.. he said he had no plans so I suggested it might be a neat idea and did a bit of number crunching for him...  I had pre-ordered the SD and was going to try building the city for my kit, but then he challenged me to do it as a master for a possible kit ! Before I knew it there were plastic chips and glue fumes everywhere.. the Muse had bitten with a vengeance !!

Here I go again !

Edited by spacewolf

Of all the SW movies I like the first 3 (IV, V, VI) but the rest were not up to the originals, though I followed along. Rogue 1 on the other hand was amazing, a throwback to the original movies with a darker, edgier angle that impressed me big time ! The first shots we see of the city are stunning...

1tBQMCs.jpg

The SD hovering over it gives one a sense of awe and trepidation ..

t2y8FLm.jpg

Studying the few shots we actually see and a few blogs/ artists impressions and using the small scale version as a guide I got to work.

I sketched out the general shape of the city proper and cut some sheet to size. The city is low in the middle and raised at both ends so I experimented with some old milliput however I really wasn't happy with the result..

IrCrJPt.jpg

Setting it aside I started on the walls.. a base edge cut to shape with vertical flat plates all cut from 1/16th and put together with super glue..

dg77jgP.jpg

I wasn't being exact to the small one.. just getting a general shape..

PXq8IOk.jpg

This shows true creativity and imagination at work. Thanks for giving us a seat at the table to see this happen.

I agree with your assessment of Rogue One... I could hear the same voices in those fighter pilot sequences as I heard back in 1977 when I saw the real first star wars movie in the theater 17 times. OK, we all have our obsessions. But when they cut to Princess Leia at the end of Rogue One it just blew me away.  Here was the real story before the first one. (Ignore most of the others, "not the droids / movies you were looking for").

Tnarg

On 3/31/2019 at 7:58 PM, Tnarg said:

This shows true creativity and imagination at work. Thanks for giving us a seat at the table to see this happen.

I agree with your assessment of Rogue One... I could hear the same voices in those fighter pilot sequences as I heard back in 1977 when I saw the real first star wars movie in the theater 17 times. OK, we all have our obsessions. But when they cut to Princess Leia at the end of Rogue One it just blew me away.  Here was the real story before the first one. (Ignore most of the others, "not the droids / movies you were looking for").

Tnarg

Nods !! Having the back story bring in Tarkin and Leia... the way we see Vader in his prime... the perfect lead in to 'A New Hope'... plus the darker grittier story that shows the desperation of the rebels and the brutality of the Empire... It's the only Disney era SW film I like.