Revell Super Hornet with lessons learned

hpetiers

On 1/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, Stokey Pete said:

Impressive progress, would you say it's been good value for money? 

Hi Pete,

I wanted a big Super Hornet and I did not want to pay 130 Euro's, so this was the only other option.  Was I disappointed that the kit had so much more potential that was not realized? Absolutely!

I started the kit as a nice challenge to see how these missed chances that I already read about could be easily overcome (I thought: how bad could it really be in this day and age of high tech model making? boy was I wrong). But over time and now seeing the intermediate result, plus now that I know how to fix the most crucial fit issues, I am really having a blast.

Needing to do the things that I did might scare some people to attempting this model, so realistically, for the same money you can buy many other models that will give you more satisfaction and less stress.

In short: if you want a German Super Hornet in 1:32 for nearly half the price as a Chinese Super Hornet and put up with the consequences, this is the kit for you!

Edited by hpetiers

• 3 weeks later...

yup, the way things have been going so far I tend to build the F too. Revell has announced if for October or so, I will surely be ready by that time.

in the mean time I have finished the weathering:

this is the underside. Might make that a bit dirtier still

DSC09086.jpg

under the nose:

DSC09087.jpg

at the air intakes, including patched up stains:

DSC09088.jpg

lower wings:

DSC09089.jpg

upper wing:

DSC09090.jpg

on the walk ways. the black spine will remain glossy, after polishing I taped it off before the matt coat:

DSC09085.jpg

then sealed everything with a final cote of gloss varnish. After drying I applied 3 thin layers of matt coat from Ammo MiG, left part are matt, right still glossy:

DSC09084.jpg

you can easliy see the difference of the gloss with the matt layer

weapons are matt now:

DSC09083.jpg

Edited by hpetiers

• 2 weeks later...

thanks gentlemen, your encouragement helps really to race towards the finish line!

iPainted the Wheel struts and weathered them. Mounting them with all these actuating arms was not easy!

DSC09110.jpg

DSC09111.jpg

DSC09112.jpg

DSC09113.jpg

then mounted the landing gear doors:

DSC09114.jpg

DSC09116.jpg

now that the Rhino is 95% finished, I am thinking about a base for it to stand on...

Lovely pose :)

I foundly remember doing the same with an academy legacy hornet, the extended gear in flight really gives the hornet model a very original stance

You captured it perfectly, Can't wait to see the final result

Thanks for that!  in the mean time I have been thinking about a stand to hold this big beast. I have been looking at phto's of the beginning of the runway of USS George Bush. But it was the USS Theodore Roosevelt, on which the crew had painted 'IF YOU CAN READ THIS ADD POWER' that caught my attention. Good sense of humor of them! I think I would like to go for that too! some very good pictures from Kai Wolter and US navy btw.

DSC09118.jpg

I made a print of a piece of flight deck, which I had drawn in CAD some years ago:

DSC09117.jpg\

Indeed that is my feet in the photo, gives you a sense of the size of this thing.

Went to the DYI shop on saturday to get some wood and plastic. My project was just extended by a month!