Revell Super Hornet with lessons learned

hpetiers

Hi Chrish, neither can I! I am indeed postponing this build quite a lot my my plan for a piece of carrier deck. But nevertheless making good progress:

Put the lines on the deck and pre drilled the tie-down holes. tie downs have been printed by Shapeways in the mean time.

DSC09120.jpg

The weld seams between deck plates were made with Vallejo putty:

DSC09122.jpg

Then I used a yoghurt-like primer to glue tiles onto tiles. I had that stuff as left over some years ago, already then I saw how there is very fine sand particles in there and how its structure would make a good anti-slip coating. By combing it with a very fine comb I made the orientation as you see on carriers: 

DSC09121.jpg

structure is accross over the seems, and length wise on the rest of the plates.

after a successful test I put the stuff on the piece of deck, half an hour later this was the result:

DSC09123.jpg

anti-slip coating on the deck!

Edited by hpetiers

• 3 weeks later...

hi Chrish, thanks for sticking around this far into the build.

I don't know about Canada, but over here they call it social isolation. I call it more time to do model aircraft building. My project is coming along a bit faster than in the last months.
I finished the inlets with use of some small plastic parts to imitate the retraction mechanism:
DSC09130.jpg

then mounted it on my Rhino:
DSC09133.jpg

Sprayed the burner cans with Vallejo metallic steel and with Tamyia smoke on each edge of each blade:
DSC09131.jpg

then mounted them, after which I could also glue the ailerons.
DSC09134.jpg

the carrier deck has been primed with Tamyia primer, the anti-slip coating came out quite well, as did the tie-downs that I had printed by Shapeways:
DSC09129.jpg

On 2/23/2020 at 10:48 AM, hpetiers said:

...some very good pictures from Kai Wolter and US navy btw.

DSC09118.jpg

Your Echo looks awesome!! I am glad You chose VFA-31 and a few of my images are useful for your project.
If you need anything else, please let me know.
Right now I am fighting with the 32 scale Super Hornet too...but the Trumpeter F. I spent hours and hours of thinking about a way to combine the Trumpeter with parts of the Academy Charly and the Revell Echo...

Nooooot easy...

Anyway...your infos are very helpful in order to see all the errors and trouble with the Revell SH.

Thank you for that!! 

I am still in love with the Tomcatters.

I was lucky enough to be on Cruise with the last Tomcats of VF-31 (onboard CVN-71) and two times with the Echos of VFA-31 (onboard CVN-71 & CVN-77).

So again...if need anything, please let me know!

Cheers Kai Wolter

www.CombatEdgeProductions.com

Hey gentlemen, thanks for your encouragement that really means a lot.

And hello mr Wolter!

wow, to get this reply from you really means a lot to me! Having actually been multiple times on an aircraft carrier and making such good photo's is really something that I admire, so thanks for your input here. Your website has been a big inspiration for my model aircraft building projects in recent years. Even Jake Melampy published the ultimate super hornet guide with some of your photo's in it if I'm not mistaken. That must make you a real celebrity in the aircraft modeling world!

Nice to read that you are also building a Rhino, I wonder if you also keep a blog of it on any of the forums?

If there is only this that I would need (and probably the people that use your website as a valuable source of info), is your insight into the question: why have you stopped updating your website? there is such good and useful material on there! Any carrier visits planned for the future? Anyway thanks once again for your support! 

10 hours ago, hpetiers said:

And hello mr Wolter!

wow, to get this reply from you really means a lot to me! Having actually been multiple times on an aircraft carrier and making such good photo's is really something that I admire, so thanks for your input here. Your website has been a big inspiration for my model aircraft building projects in recent years. Even Jake Melampy published the ultimate super hornet guide with some of your photo's in it if I'm not mistaken. That must make you a real celebrity in the aircraft modeling world!

Nice to read that you are also building a Rhino, I wonder if you also keep a blog of it on any of the forums?

If there is only this that I would need (and probably the people that use your website as a valuable source of info), is your insight into the question: why have you stopped updating your website? there is such good and useful material on there! Any carrier visits planned for the future? Anyway thanks once again for your support! 

Thank you for your kind words.

Thats right, Jake received some of my SH images for the book. Jake was also part of my team on my CVN-74 embark. It was a lot of fun to be on the trip with Jake and jakes books are by far one of the best reference books for all the scale model builders. Too bad I was so damn busy that I couldn’t fwd any Prowler images for Jakes new Prowler book. 
When I build my VF-31 Tomcat, I was checking the internet for reference images of the flight deck equipment. And I saw that there was nearly nothing on the net. That was the reason I did tons of images of the Flight deck stuff on my following Cruise and put it on my website for all the scale model builders.

Why I stopped updating my website?

Thats a loooong story. A lot of things happened after my last Cruise onboard the Enterprise.

Several family members died...my Dad had trouble after my Mom died and did suicide. 
One of my best friends got murdered by team mates. He was an MC2 I met the first time onboard the USS Stennis. Later on he was transferred close to my home here Germany and was working for AFN in Ramstein. He was killed on Dec. 14th 2013. All this things happened within 7 months. It was more than hard to handle all that ****...

All this things forced me to spent more time with my wife and my daughter. Going back to the basics and keep the focus on the important parts of life. 
Before Dmitry was killed, we was working together on my book project about all the Nimitz-Class Carriers in Operation. So every moment I went back to my images and try to work again on the project is damn hard for me. It brings so much moments back and I am still fighting to handle all that ****...

At the moment...I am not ready for that.

But I hope I could handle it in the future and update my website and finish the book project in order to dedicate that book to Dmitry...

I am still in the early stages of my Foxtrott...so not much to see at the moment. But I will post some images here on LSP.

Cheers and keep up your great work,

Kai

Hi Kai,

wow. thanks for sharing, particularly on an open platform like this one, takes courage. Good point, when life gets complicated, make sure you have a stable home base.

Makes this build just a bit more meaningful and inspirational to me. Thanks for your offer, I will surely reach out!

in the mean time I have made the frame for catching crew members if they get blown off the deck. On this frame I will apply netting by means of some medical gauze. Also did some pre shading on the deck:
DSC09135.jpg

I dared to put my Rhino on its feet. It is almost a tail sitter!
DSC09138.jpg

Edited by hpetiers