Revell Super Hornet with lessons learned

hpetiers

hi Daniboy, I used the gloss varnish from Tamiya in a mix of 40% varnish and 60% thinner from Mr Color. The thinner from Tamiya does not make the mix thin enough to spray wel,l so luckily this combination worked. Busy now with the ordnance, update will follow!

Thanks for your encouragement gentlemen! In the meantime I have also put the decals on the weapons, this was at least as much work as the aircraft decalling itself!

DSC09067.jpg

For this I used the Revell decals, as well as some of the F/A-18C Hornet from Academy. Because there is no decals supplied whatsoever for any of the bombs.
Colour indication for Navy bombs is completely inaccurate too
DSC09068.jpg

Ther are more decals for the missiles, however here are the brown stripes missing from the decal sheet. Strangely enough there are green stripes supplied...someone at Revell or Cartograph has been asleep:
DSC09069.jpg

this is also the case with the sidewinders AIM-7X and AIM-7M:
DSC09070.jpg

Is sharp contrast of this all is the big amount of very detailed decals on the pylons.... That is if there was enough of them! decals supplied are only half the amount that is needed! now I have to leave one side of all pylons devoid of details, sigh...
DSC09071.jpg

Next step is to seal everything with a layer of clear and then start washing and weathering!

Great work!

I ended up using Academy Hornet decals onTrumpeters 1/32 Super Bug weapons as well....actually, now that I think of it, I ended up using a couple of the Academy’s weapons as well.

indeed Starfighter, I think that the Navy initially had the same guidance kits as the Airforce, so in olive green. During a transition period where the Navy  switched to grey you saw combinations of old fins and new guidance units and vice versa.

I was referring to the wrong color green used in the Revell manual for the guidance unit + fins, and the fact that the bomb body is depicted olive green and not grey, as thermally protective coated navy bombs are. Luckily we have the internet to sort this kind of things out!

oh, bwt I read on that same internet that Revell is planning to release the F/A-18F version in October of this year. Knowing that by that time I will have finished this project I have already determined that I will be first in line to buy and build that one!

As I have no idea what colours "C" or "D" are, I can't tell you; but then, it's simply not true that the thermal protection on Navy GBUs is always grey. As you can see on the first photo I have posted, there are grey and olive bodies combined with every kind of seeker colour combinations on the very same skit... By the way, the center section of the seeker head between the fins always seems to be brown. Maybe you can still add that.

gbu-12_58cjxp.jpg

So you are really thinking of building another one after that experience? Man, some people are definitely much tougher than I am - you are certainly among them! :) 

how wonderfully confusing! somehow I have the idea that the colour combinations that you see also depend on the time frame of the picture. But hey, that makes it only easier to pick any colour combination and still be right. the following photo shows btw that there is all-grey guidance kits out there. I hope that Mr Wolter will allow me to show this by one of this outstanding carrier photo's:

30b.jpg

Adding some more colours to the different bomb parts could add some visual interest thought...I will give that some thought. thx for that inspiration anyway!

indeed I feel like a big enough Superbug fan to do another one, surely now that I know how to successfully tackle the fit issues :). I realize that this statement will not convince a large part of the super bug builders out there to build one and that's ok.

this weekend I have started to apply a panel wash. For the first time I decided not to use artist oil paint. My infrequency of modelling time gave me the risk that after applying I would not have enough time to remove it before having dried completely. So I decided to buy a bottle of Flory Models wash in grey and grime (brown), mixed that 75%-25% and applied it to the whole surface of the aircraft and parts:

DSC09072.jpg

It dries quite quickly. I have the idea that this is a kind of clay particles dissolved in a watery solution. Indeed I came to the conclusion that it does not matter when you remove the stuff where you do not want it. It does not smell either (unlike using turpentine to remove oil paint):

DSC09073.jpg

DSC09074.jpg

Not knowing the product's behavior yet, I was a bit nervous of how it turned out after having dried, but after removing the layer with a damp cloth, this was the result:

DSC09078.jpg

DSC09079.jpg

DSC09080.jpg

DSC09081.jpg

DSC09082.jpg

the clay dries up a bit lighter than when wet, but this becomes dark again after sealing everything with a thin layer of 10% varnish-thinner.

So now I have an aircraft that represents (I guess) a few weeks on a carrier. Next step is to apply some patch up jobs on the paint and add some foot step marks on the wings and some glove marks around panels. 

Edited by hpetiers