Revell Super Hornet with lessons learned

hpetiers

hi Chrish, yes this project is giving me a chance to improve many of my skills! I am happy that all the steps in between have come to this result so far. There was a moment where I had sawn the model nearly in 2 and I risked an utter failure. But now that I know how to do it I would lover to build Revells hopefully future F version too (if they dare to release it, looking at the critiques this model has received).

So Mel, if you ask me then the Revell kit has the potential to become a very good representation of a Super Hornet but one really needs to put effort in overcoming its pitfalls (spine hump and 2 mm in width/height the most obvious and annoying ones). I have not built the Trumpeter kit but I am told that this one has some oddities too. So until something better comes up I think this one is still good value for money!

in the mean time the fuel tank came out pretty good!

DSC08943.jpg

the aircraft is completely black by now

DSC08944.jpg

and then I made a made a big booboo, holding the whole thing upside down I dropped it from 10 cm onto the desk. I expected the crack that I heard to be one of the tails, but they were ok. just to make sure I checked the canopy under the tape...

DSC08945.jpg

oops, cracked!

so better to repair now than when all the paint is on. Luckily the canopy broke free cleanly. So my dearest friends at Revell abteilung X, could you please send me a new canopy?

DSC08947.jpg

oh yes, and I need to pinch the handle and the rear view mirror from under the front glass...

bummer! But never mind I will keep on painting until the new canopy arrives...

Edited by hpetiers

Two steps forward and one back!  Isnt that always the way...............

Ive been going through exactly that with my F-104D.  just getting set up and things are rolling along great, then OOOPS!   I know the feeling all too well.   Hopefully the new can-O-pee will be here soon and progress can resume.

Darn! That’s disappointing and soooooo something that would happen to me (it has so many times)

This build reminds me of those short movie inserts I used to wait for on the kids shows back in the....well, waaaay back when I was a kid. They’d run about 15 minutes of a great movie every episode, man it was tough having the patience to wait for the next instalment...that’s happening again here!

eagerly awaiting the next 15 minute instalment (not fighting with my sister now though)

hello gentlemen,

thanks for your support! In the mean time Revell is sending me a new canopy so I guess I will be having it in a few days. That has not kept me away from progressing with my build.

Panels have been filled with white primer:

DSC08951.jpg

DSC08952.jpg

DSC08953.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hi themongoose and other modellers,

indeed it seems like the largest challenges like the fit of the parts is now behind me. Also Revell supplied me with a new canopy within 2 weeks. Good service Revell!

after some polishing of the new canopy the parts were ready to be assembled:

DSC08955.jpg

after which all was glued to the aircraft and small gaps being taken care of:

DSC08957.jpg

So forward we go again!

• 2 weeks later...
Finally I put some color on!
DSC08958.jpg
DSC08959.jpg
DSC08960.jpg
DSC08961.jpg

I though that the middle grey 307 from Mr color was a tad dark, so I decided to add to the next pass some 30% light grey 308. Before I would do that I sprinkled some water and coarse salt onto the upper surfaces to add some patchy wear. This way the salt crystals would act as a mask for the lighter shade.
DSC08964.jpg
Edited by hpetiers

after the airbrushing of the slightly lighter shade I was content enough to more on to the next step: adding the black stripe on the back. It took a while to find the right info on the net but it was good that I persisted: The zone on the decal instructions is incorrect. So first taped off the right shape, using the squadron number as a reference for the kink in the lining:
DSC08965.jpg
and see there, black back on my Rhino!
DSC08966.jpg

• 1 month later...

tonight I have a rather large update in store. I got the decals on!

first I gave the model a gloss coat:

DSC09032.jpg

then got started with the decals. the red decals give good contrast, even on a black background

DSC09033.jpg

then put the decals on in 3 nights. Here from front to back:

DSC09034.jpg

the decals are quite good but not perfect. Notice how the yellow warning plaque below the black zone is too large and the star on the roundel is a bit too low, giving the roundel an appearance as if it is 'looking' down a bit. I did not want to use the Revell decal either because its blue was too light. 

no silvering on any of the decals in the middle

DSC09035.jpg

neither on the tail. Here is where you can see that the distance between the tail and the slime light is a bit too smaal, making the text not fit as they should in real life. 

DSC09037.jpg

same thing with decals on other side

DSC09042.jpg

DSC09043.jpg

DSC09045.jpg

looking like a Tomcatter!

DSC09041.jpg

DSC09046.jpg

views from the top:

DSC09047.jpg

DSC09048.jpg

DSC09049.jpg

DSC09050.jpg

and bottom

DSC09051.jpg

There is actually a possibility now to finish this project around the end of the year!