P-47D-25 & P-47D-30 1/32 Hasegawa

Miloslav1956

On 5/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, Miloslav1956 said:

Today update.

Great praise for HGW and J. Bobek for their work. Everything fits perfectly.

I've seen HGW rivets get panned because "that plane has flush rivets... etc., etc." but they are genius because they are so subtle that they just give the surface of the model the slightest texture and interest. I intend to use them on my FW as well as their wet transfer stenciling. Great stuff, my hat's off to my fellow Czechs.

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I've seen HGW rivets get panned because "that plane has flush rivets... etc., etc." but they are genius because they are so subtle that they just give the surface of the model the slightest texture and interest. I intend to use them on my FW as well as their wet transfer stenciling. Great stuff, my hat's off to my fellow Czechs.

But they're not positive rivets. It is conceived to be visible after spraying and subsequent polishing, like loose rivets on a real plane. I think this intention was successful.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Miloslav1956 said:

But they're not positive rivets. It is conceived to be visible after spraying and subsequent polishing, like loose rivets on a real plane. I think this intention was successful.:thumbsup:

I'm not sure what you mean by "positive rivets" but I think you could be referring to brazier head (often mis-referenced as button head) rivets. In fact the HGW rivets do stand off the surface but just barely, adding texture and interest to what would otherwise be a smooth, visually boring surface. In other words, I understand what you mean despite the awkward use of the word "positive".

I'm just trying to compliment HGW for creating a unique product.

56 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "positive rivets" but I think you could be referring to brazier head (often mis-referenced as button head) rivets. In fact the HGW rivets do stand off the surface but just barely, adding texture and interest to what would otherwise be a smooth, visually boring surface. In other words, I understand what you mean despite the awkward use of the word "positive".

I'm just trying to compliment HGW for creating a unique product.

Positive rivets are those with a half-rounded head protruding over the aircraft's cover. Used on old Revell models.
Negative rivets are those that are indicated by the hole, as is the trend today, but which does not match the actual rivets.
I understand your HGW compliment, and I compliment them. So I started to collaborate with them on the wet transfers to Corsair, Wildcat and will be many more.

Yep,

The "positive" rivet term is really just meant as a generic term for any rivet protruding from the surface VS  a negative one, accordingly under the surface. I've never really seen that term used to describe any particular type of rivet other than just a general protruding one.

1 hour ago, Miloslav1956 said:

Positive rivets are those with a half-rounded head protruding over the aircraft's cover. Used on old Revell models.
Negative rivets are those that are indicated by the hole, as is the trend today, but which does not match the actual rivets.

You are correct but technically speaking, on actual aircraft, the correct term for rivets whose head is rounded is "brazier head" rivets and rivets that are even with the surface are called "flush rivets". I know I'm splitting hairs here, but as a former airframe repairman in the USAF one of my pet peeves is the use of layman terms like "tail fin" and "wing beams", etc. Add that to my raging OCD and having been away from the hobby for over 20 years I'm a little out of the loop.

I'm in 100% agreement that the holes in kits are not realistic, but they are the trend now and an improvement over the old way. The HGW rivets are the best way to represent flush rivets due to the subtle texture they add.

BTW, that's one IMPRESSIVE job you're doing on one of my favorite aircraft.

Peace out

25 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

You are correct but technically speaking, on actual aircraft, the correct term for rivets whose head is rounded is "brazier head" rivets and rivets that are even with the surface are called "flush rivets". I know I'm splitting hairs here, but as a former airframe repairman in the USAF one of my pet peeves is the use of layman terms like "tail fin" and "wing beams", etc. Add that to my raging OCD and having been away from the hobby for over 20 years I'm a little out of the loop.

I'm in 100% agreement that the holes in kits are not realistic, but they are the trend now and an improvement over the old way. The HGW rivets are the best way to represent flush rivets due to the subtle texture they add.

BTW, that's one IMPRESSIVE job you're doing on one of my favorite aircraft.

Peace out

So we are colleagues, but I'm an airframe repairman on Il-14, Mig-15, Mig-15 UTI, Mig-21 F, PF, PFM, MA, MF, U, US, UM. In our country these rivets are called as I wrote. Flush rivets are recessed rivets. The important thing is that we both know what it is.;)