Hobby Boss B-24D - expected release May 2019

Jan_G

Well, if they've fixed the aft turret and all the other offending issues, wings, engines, cowls, wheels..et al (I'm not fixing the wings.... I don't have that much time left on this Earth), I might think about this one but I think the money in my wallet is safe from being spent (at least for now).  I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this guy.... but we'll see when someone has the plastic in their hands and can definitively comment.

11 hours ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

I wanted this one so bad....  I'm normally a "if it's close enough" sort of guy,

but this isn't even "close enough."  I'm taking a pass.  What a bummer.

+1 Really  wanted the B24J. Still do but at this stage but nowhere near 'close enough'...:(

I would rather buy a kit and use my own knowledge and eyes to asses its value.

Many reviewers are agenda driven as can be seen daily on youtube.

This kit in particular is in the hand lovely and having seen some utter garbage online woukd highly recommend anyone who really likes the B-24 to buy it and make your own mind up.

If you dont like it its popularity will mean you could onsell it without issue.

The regurgitation of same old anti Trumpeter, Kittyhawk spool being onspread and swallowed without at least looking at the kit is pretty typical these days.

Here are two links of what based off my experience with the kit are fair reviews.

Other than the wing (doesnt bother me much) turrets (will have some options for that by the time I get to mine) wheels (already have some options) and a few other minor things I cant see anything that is a deal breaker. There will be plenty of AM to fix the main issues of the kit.  Ive heard nothing about bad cowls.

The D model (save the obvious removal of the front turret) will be the exact same kit as the J, I virtually guarantee. I'm not sure HB will put much work into any real differences.

All is fixable save the wings with minimal effort.

There is always the combat vac for those that think the HobbyBoss kit is unbuildable. 

If the Combat vac nor HB IM B-24s are not up to your build standards, you could always build a 32nd Lib from one of the many other manufacturers who make them.  ;)

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, alaninaustria said:

Hi everybody,

has anybody seen this giant yet? Has it been released to market?

Cheers

Alan

D model not quite out yet. Im sure its coming soon though

The big question is whether Squadron will make all US retailers to hold to the MSRP of $240 like they did with the -J, therefore ensuring that most people will buy from overseas, where it will be cheaper, even taking into account shipping?

BTW, did Squadron ever actually sell any of the -J kits?  Everytime I checked when they had one of their 20% or 30% off deals, the kit was never in stock, and now the kit isn’t even shown on their website anymore.

12 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The big question is whether Squadron will make all US retailers to hold to the MSRP of $240 like they did with the -J, therefore ensuring that most people will buy from overseas, where it will be cheaper, even taking into account shipping?

BTW, did Squadron ever actually sell any of the -J kits?  Everytime I checked when they had one of their 20% or 30% off deals, the kit was never in stock, and now the kit isn’t even shown on their website anymore.

I tried to order the B-24J from Squadron when they had their 20% off around Christmas and they said the discount didn't apply to the kit.  I asked where that was written in their ad, and they said it wasn't.  They did the same thing to me when I tried to order a WNW kit.  Done dealing with Squadron.  There are so many other places on the web to get kits cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...