Kitty Hawk's new 1/35 MH-60L Blackhawk

Hawkwrench

Excuse my ignorance...again...but what is wrong with the Academy Blackhawk family, looks good to me (yeah yeah i know it's a dog occording to "some" lSP members) .......?

The new kit looks nice, but I’m a little wary of the PE ammo feed belts.  I’d be very surprised if you can bend them in the 3-d shapes needed to attach between the ammo box and the gun.  Also looking at the instructions, it seems like they just throw a bunch of options in there, but don’t tell you which are appropriate for the included decal options.  For sure, it looks like the level of detail is much better than the Academy kits, and more accurate too, but it looks like some assistance will be needed in building an accurate aircraft.

I’m also wondering about the price, especially with the added resin.  Adding some resin figures to the second release of their AH-6 really jumped the price up.

6 minutes ago, STWilliams said:

My KH kits looked amazing as well.

Then I built them.

They were no longer amazing.

It really depends on which KHM kits you've built.

I've built many demo kits for KHM, and their T-28, fits about as well as any major kit manu.

Many of their kits are not great, and some new ones still have very odd engineering. However I've built 2 OV-10s, two OS2Us, and while they both have issues, it's nothing that any modeler with average skills like me cant fix. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

It really depends on which KHM kits you've built.

I've built many demo kits for KHM, and their T-28, fits about as well as any major kit manu.

Many of their kits are not great, and some new ones still have very odd engineering. However I've built 2 OV-10s, two OS2Us, and while they both have issues, it's nothing that any modeler with average skills like me cant fix. 

The OV-10 kits are a really nice kit they have some issues with flash but you are right the T-28 is really nice kit

9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’d be very surprised if you can bend them in the 3-d shapes needed to attach between the ammo box and the gun.

It's a hell of a job to do that. I've tried with the pe ammo belt from Eduard, for the KH F-5E, it's almost impossible to do that, even after annealing the pe. Also the pe belt was way to short once the pe was more or less bent in a position which told me that this pe part was impossible to use.

Edited by DannyVM

8 hours ago, STWilliams said:

My KH kits looked amazing as well.

Then I built them.

They were no longer amazing.

At the moment i'm busy with my KH F-5E. Some numbers don't respond with the part's on the sprue, and the Eduard pe also give's some mistakes in their instructions, so extra attention is needed. In the contrary, the kit just builds very nice, part's suffers indeed with some flash but the fit is rather good.

10 hours ago, DannyVM said:

It's a hell of a job to do that. I've tried with the pe ammo belt from Eduard, for the KH F-5E, it's almost impossible to do that, even after annealing the pe. Also the pe belt was way to short once the pe was more or less bent in a position which told me that this pe part was impossible to use.

Live Resin sells flexible resin ammo belts for the miniguns in 1/35 scale.

Tim

I love the resin figures and all the rest of it right the way through.

It's got lots of photo etch, all the rest of it, and everything else like that.

Looks to be a good kit right the way round and right the way through.

;)