AlanG

Painting Jet Engines

Being a total noob at painting anything that is jet powered i was wondering just what colours i would need to recreate the multitude of colours you see on an engine. I intend to buy/use Vallejo Metal colour paints as they get a better review than AK paints. I am specifically looking at the SU-27B Flanker engines as i would love to be able to build this iconic and beautiful aircraft.

Any help is much appreciated

P.S. If anyone knows what cockpit colour the SU-27B was that would help  too. Some call-outs say black and others a sort of turquoise blue. Xtracrylix conversions would be a bonus

Regarding the cockpit.... I take it that you already did a Google search for "SU-27b cockpit"?  Turquoise blue, blue grey or even a lighter almost RLM65 seems to be legit.

Yes i did a search for it and although the pics i saw were turquoise blue the black colour call-out i was referring to was from Hobbyboss. I would like to get hold of the Trumpeter kit eventually but it's way out of my price range at the moment. I'm just trying to get all the info i can so i am prepared to 'splash the cash' on a trumpy kit when i can.

Hello AlanG, 

From memory, the Sukhoi Su-27 cockpits are a light blue/grey rather than turquoise. The bright turquoise is more a Mig colour.

When I built the Flanker a while ago I seem to recall using the Humbrol metallizer enamels for the engine panels and left them unbuffed. The paints can be mixed to get any hue desired. That seemed to give a convincing effect.

For the blue coating often seen on the Flanker engine panels I think I used Games Workshop/Citadel Miniatures inks. The mottled effect on the petals can be achieved by stippling inks over the metallizers and using a crumpled tissue to mop up excess ink. Other modellers have used the salt chipping/masking to great effect.

Good luck with your model. 

Cheers.