1/32 Hurricane

Tom

The Fly Hurricane kits are quite nice and the PM early Hurricanes are totally buildable and, with a few corrections, quite accurate. I think the Revell kit can totally be retired. Could Tamiya do better? Yes. But we do have an alternative.

Jennings, the only noticeable issue of the Fly Hurricanes is the positioning of the cockpit structure. The buildability is good, the accuracy excellent and the surface details are exquisite. So, I have yet to see the very noticeable improvement that a mainstream producer would bring. Tamiya would obviously do it better but you will pay more than twice the price and will have to wait for 20 other years to get such a kit from them! 

I understand but why releasing aftermarket for a kit that does not need it...? By the way, Yahu released some IPs for the Fly Hurricane kits. The only part that really deserves improvement is the control stick. To me, the need for aftermarket is motivated by the availability of other versions or corrected parts. When a kit is accurate with all known versions released, I do not see the need for aftermarket items except alternate markings. Regarding availability Fly kits are sold by all the usual suspects. So they are not that rare. 

So... Back to the topic of bomb pylons - will pylons used on the Spitfire suffice; maybe with modification?  Who has a usefull drawing of one or both pylons?

And... Now that we are talking about this topic I need to go check my Fly Huricane kits.

Rick

2 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

So... Back to the topic of bomb pylons - will pylons used on the Spitfire suffice; maybe with modification?  Who has a usefull drawing of one or both pylons?

And... Now that we are talking about this topic I need to go check my Fly Huricane kits.

Rick

They seem to be an overall larger affair on the Hurricane than the Spitfire, longer and broader and just all round beefier. I'm in a similar situation in wanting the Hurricane underwent fuel tanks in 1/24 which nobody makes. Though I'm looking at maybe adapting the ones that come with the infix 1/24 Typhoon kit. They are quite similar but the pylon needs moving forwards a little.

Wide availability and sales numbers.  You don't see aftermarket products for cottage industry kits for a reason.  A perfect recipe for losing money.

We brought out the Typhoon (cottage industry kit) also rockets (two flavours) and some other bits, we're happy with the returns 

On 3/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

If, after 85 years, we finally - some day - get a decent mainstream injection molded 1/32 Hurricane family, maybe.  So far I'm still waiting.  

Hello, Mr. Tamiya?

I just don't get the feeling that this would be Tamiya's cup of tea anytime soon.  Hope I'm wrong.  Maybe Sir Peter Jackson will step up to the plate now that he has sprouted a wild hair and is on the verge of his first foray into WWII aircraft with the Lancaster.