Rivets Under Foil

themongoose

Paulo and I were chatting about what these would look like under foil for his KH F-5 build so I took did an experiment with my leftover parts and took some pics. The iPhone isn't the greatest for this but hopefully it helps. Posting here for others to see and to avoid hijacking his thread.

I started with an old Hasegawa type F-5 that had raised rivets on the tail where it's all metal. I primered the piece and then lightly sanded the top of the rivets so they were visible.

IMG_5346-L.jpg

Next I placed 4 rows of Archer 1/32 scale rivets in-between the kit rivets. Keep this pic in mind for the foiled view although it will be obvious where they are.

IMG_5349-L.jpg

Used the rivets on the left.

IMG_5353-L.jpg

I had a spare piece of bare metal foil complete with fingerprints in the scraap bin.

IMG_5359-L.jpg

I burnished it with a toothpick in between the rivets and this is what we get. 

IMG_5363-L.jpg

IMG_5365-L.jpg

and one for perspective...

IMG_5369-L.jpg

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I like it! The rivets are easy to see without being too over the top looking.

The only thing I might worry about a little, is tearing through the BMF where the raised rivets are.

Funny you mention that...when I first started burnishing I went over the top of the rivets and immediately stopped as I could tell by the feel that it was breaking through. So I went around the rivets. A little painstaking but once I had a circular pattern down it went quick on such a small sample.

1 hour ago, themongoose said:

Funny you mention that...when I first started burnishing I went over the top of the rivets and immediately stopped as I could tell by the feel that it was breaking through. So I went around the rivets. A little painstaking but once I had a circular pattern down it went quick on such a small sample.

Try taking a Q-tip or piece of balsa wood sufficiently sanded smooth, and "tap" down each rivet VS the normal burnishing movement over them .  Ive had to do that on a couple kits I foiled when I first started out that had raised panel lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

This experiment went so well I decided to upgrade my T-38A Talon. I'm of the opinion this looks so much better. For now this is the commercial BMF brand stuff. I am working on aluminum foil but my first effort was a bit lacking. 

IMG_5386-XL.jpg

More burnishing required do you think? 

IMG_5407-XL.jpg

Once I had this set up I had to add the cover between the exhausts to complete the model. Much better now don't you think?

IMG_5412-XL.jpg

I'm glad Paulo mentioned this type of application or I may not have tried it, or at least not for some time to come that's for sure.