Pup7309

Top and bottom 3 model companies?

Having built quite a few of their kits, I forgot to include Bandai.

They are easily on par with Tamiya for engineering and buildability, and in some cases, better.

Posted (edited)

Best three for me...

Airfix - Have been an Airfix fan since I began modelling and without doubt the quality of the mouldings continue to improve with each release. Subject matter is predominantly towards my specific interest!

Eduard - The kits produced by Eduard, whilst maybe a little over engineered, are a quality product and as with Airfix, the subject matter appeals to my specific interest!

Wingnut Wings - Quality though at a price and as with Airfix and Eduard, half the product range appeals to my specific interest!

Three worst...

Starfix - So bad, I can't think of anything positive to say!

Hasegawa - The quality of Hasegawa kits is not in doubt but due to the extremely, ridiculously, high pricing in the UK, makes them an untenable purchase. Unfortunately, I do not even look at their product releases anymore!

Trumpeter - So hit and miss, with regard to accuracy though the earlier kits were better, with the company appearing to listen when items were wrong and tooling on at least one kit were corrected (1/32 Wildcat). 

Honourable Mention...

Tamiya - Goes without saying!

Revell - Quality mouldings and at a price that sometimes borders on the unbelievable!

HKM - Whilst I accept that the Tamiya Mosquito and Wingnut Wings Lancaster, may be better than their own versions, they are a company willing to take a chance on subject matters not considered by 'most' other mainstream manufacturers!

Special Hobby - Interesting product releases and quality/build-ability improving with each release!

Edited by Tony C

Interesting thread.  Many of you hardcore LSP's have kits from companies I've yet to sample.

Since I'm more of an LSP dilettante, my answer is based on the fact that I try to build as much armor as aircraft:

Best:

1.  Older Dragon:  Great details and fit, though somewhat over engineered.  I live for secondhand kits.

2.  Tamiya:  No getting around the fact whether it's aircraft or armor.  Quality, and ease, though maybe a little detail shy at times.

3.   WnW:  I don't mind working around the fact that you don't want paint on the touching surfaces.  But they are really special kits.

Worst:

1.  Italeri:  They've never been good, but they do make some things nobody else ever would.  Their 1/32 F-104 was the best I've seen from them.

2.  Trumpeter:  A disappointment in every box, so far.

3.  Eduard.  Every Eduard kit pisses me off.  I don't know how they can have such great surface detail and still make me angry to build them.

Anyway...  my opinion.

Gaz

1. Tamiya

2. Zm

3. Wnw

despite i don't have any wnw or zm. 

But as i see they are very dedicated to this hobby.

Bottom 

Trumpeter

Revell

Maybe eduard

Theese company's doesn't think accuracy is important 

Despite some good models   

Based only on 1/32 scale aircraft:

Top 3

Tamiya, build qulity/fit/engineering the only doownside being the decals.

ZM, novel engineering, interesting subjects and quality builds

Wingnut Wings, I am not a WW1 builder but with their quality they must appear in any subjective list of the top manufacturers.  Roll on the Lanc...

Contenders for the top 3, just lost out, include HKM and ICM (great recent and planned releases)

Bottom 3

Trumpeter/Hobbyboss, mixed feelings about these as they do produce some good kits.

Special Hobby, interesting subjects but I really do not get on with their kits at all.

Revell, all that Tamiya get right they get wrong.  These are the worse of the lot IMHO.

Contender for bottom three but 'won through' Kitty Hawk

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:25 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

Okay, then I stand corrected:  they’re utterly pointless, because everyone will have an individual, subjective, meaningless to anyone but himself answer.

Gotta agree on that one - and the proof is that most of the entries in the replys appear both in the top and the bottom... totally dependent on the individuals viewpoint

On top of the different viewpoints I find that it also depend on the time - sometimes I like a dirt simple kit to throw together as fast as possible, while other times it is a ton of aftermarket resin, PE and decals that do the trick for me... so... depends

My top 3 is limited to my abilities, affordability and view point

Top:

1. Revell (new tools) - For the price they sell at they offer outstanding fun to build and ability to be upgraded with AM as you want

2. Hasegawa - Good kits to build with loads of options for AM. Top end of my price range but i still strive to get them.

3. Tamiya - Detail they are the top end and are a joy to build. Price wise they are out of my league.

Bottom:

1. WNW/HKM - Over engineered, over-hyped and way over priced

2. Trumpeter - Inconsistent quality and authenticity. They could be so good if they up'd their game like ICM have

3. Academy - I've  never build one yet that doesn't need lots of work to the fitting together part. Their decals are also a joke. Rubbish, brittle crud

These are just my views and in no way mean to condescend other users choices or reasons.

59 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Bottom:

1. WNW/HKM - Over engineered, over-hyped and way over priced

Wow, each to their own but in reality, if you put Tamiya in the top 3, you pretty much should be putting WnW there too. They are definitely not over-hyped, as they live up to most all praise they get, and well deserved too.  Their fit, finish and engineering is about as good as it gets.    

They are every bit as well engineered as Tamiya and the fit is second to none, as well as some being available for  $79 USD which puts them way more in most peoples arena of affordability.  Not liking the subjects they make, or being able to afford their kits is way different then having poorly engineered or over hyped kits, which WnW has neither. 

I have built a lot of KHM demo models, and while they have some great models, and some fit and build really well, I wouldn't put them in any class with WnW as far as engineering or hype goes. 

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I have built a lot of KHM demo models, and while they have some great models, and some fit and build really well, I wouldn't put them in any class with WnW as far as engineering or hype goes. 

Pretty sure you two are referring to two different companies, him HK models and you Kitty Hawk?

I’ll throw my contribution to this “pointless” thread....

For LSP related companies, I’d go with WNW and Tamiya hands down since both have overall great products with pretty good research/accuracy as a whole and for what you get OOB (quality of instructions, kit, decals, etc). Others like Trumpeter have some good (A-6, P-61, Me262) but they also have some real dogs. Not many, if any, dogs though from WNW and Tamiya. Generally, I believe in “you get what you pay for” and they may be more expensive but seem worth it to me.

When a new company comes out with something I really wanted in 1/32 (like the Kitty Hawk OV-10 and Roden’s O-1 and O-2) I was happy, but at the same time I instead wished they were Tamiya kits. So wishing a kit was made by another company I think qualifies that company in my mind as one of my “best”.

I don’t really have enough experience or breadth of kits from other companies to say “worst”; plus like Trumpeter, other companies also have some good and some terrible.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:11 AM, Out2gtcha said:

All things being considered, Id have to reverse that order...............

TOP:

1. WNW - Quality cant be beat, and the fit and finish is generally as good or better than any other manu out there. You can get a WnW kit for under $80 and if you don't want rigging there are several out there to choose from that have 1 or 2 wires or none at all.   In reality, I thought rigging was going to be some huge nightmare. It wasn't really that bad to tell you the truth.

2. Tamiya - They make some of the finest kits on the planet IMHO. Arguably some of the best models you can get in any scale. Price can be an issue, but in my older age, Id save up for a model that fit, built and looked like Tamiyas do for a year if the only other choice was to build a crappier model. 

3. Hasegawa - Agreed the old standby. Price is slowly becoming an issue there too, as Has kits have been creeping up in price, and for the lesser detail you get, I would almost put Hasegawa out of the top 3 but not in the bottom 3 either.  As it sits however, you can still get Has kits at a decent price and they generally are fairly accurate. 

4. (TIE) KHM / ZM - I put a 4th one in the top because of HK and ZM. Having build the HK B-25, Do-335 and a couple others, I can say their combination of price, fit and finish is really decent, and overall their kits are really nice to build IMHO.   For me as a tie ZM is right about there with HKM. I've met the "old man" several times, at two different nationals and his and ZMs passion for aircraft modeling comes right through. ZM kits generally fit decently, and they have subjects that really appeal. I dont always like their "over engineered" approach to models, but their kits are nice, and mostly pleasant to build, and fit nice, at least the ones I have built including their Spad, Raiden and Shinden. Cant WAIT to get a copy of their Ki-45 and Hs-129

Bottom:

I dont really have any specific order for the "worst" as I think most manus offer something that has positive qualities so here goes in NO specific order

- Trumpeter - They are not the worst, worst, and some of their kits are indeed well done, but they are highly inconsistency with their models, and its one of the few companies I will always have to have a review of by someone in the know before purchasing anything of theirs. 

- Revell - They have been extremely inconsistent lately, and with the demise of Revell USA, getting parts and communication have gone down hill drastically IMHO. Their kits can be nice, but they seem to be getting out of the new tool LSP game and their latest LSP release is nothing short of atrocious.  Their P-51 is an exception on the new tool (very nice kit), but generally IMHO you get what you pay for, and  some of Revell's kits either really show their age, or the cost/corner cutting/lack of engineering is extremely evident. Sometimes if you want a specific subject they may be the only game in town however. 

- HpH - Im putting HpH here because of their seeming lack of quality control. They DO make some of the best detailed kits out there as far as what they come with, and yes some of their kits seem very nice in the box, but if you look at actual completion rates, then you start to see why HpH kits can really take it out of a modeler. Some kits seem engineered well, and then there are kits like my 1/32nd Tigercat. I wont go into details, but you can look at my WIP that has been dragging on since November of 2017. Mismatched panel lines, inconsistent details, things that have NO chance of fitting, and on, and on. Their kits can REALLY sap your modelling will IMO. 

I wont even go there on their customer service when you ask for replacement parts, or corrective parts that should have been dealt with at the factory during R & D. 

Its all down to the individual modeler and what and how you like to build. Its much more opinion than anything, so Id put it down to how you like to build, taking into consideration budget and plan from there. 

Top answer!

Since I bought ZM's Ki-45, I can't leave them in my bottom three.

So I'm promoting them to that expanse of modeler space between that exists between the good and the bad, with an upward trajectory.

Their spot in the bottom three will be taken by PCM - Overpriced to a truly ridiculous degree, poorly fitting parts and some dodgy shapes - only having cool subjects saved it.

1 hour ago, wunwinglow said:

Subject matter rules... Brit subjects for me,  and kit quality almost irelevant, if I think I can cope with the issues, it will probably end up in the stash. They are all grist to the mill..... 

Do you only ride British motorbikes?