Korean War P51...NMF or paint?

Hi All,

Curious, as I'm looking at building Tamiyas P51D/K Mustang as a Korean war aircraft...

From period photos, it looks as if the exterior finish could be paint or just really, really oxidized bare metal....could it have a been both?

I also would assume that  the wings would be puttied as well, and then painted as per WW2 specs.

Most pictures show, pretty tired looking aircraft, which is fine with me, just trying to find out more information.

Thanks for your time and patience,

Pete

4 hours ago, joker said:

Hi All,

Curious, as I'm looking at building Tamiyas P51D/K Mustang as a Korean war aircraft...

From period photos, it looks as if the exterior finish could be paint or just really, really oxidized bare metal....could it have a been both?

I also would assume that  the wings would be puttied as well, and then painted as per WW2 specs.

Most pictures show, pretty tired looking aircraft, which is fine with me, just trying to find out more information.

Thanks for your time and patience,

Pete

I’m going to be doing the same thing.   There are a couple of really good threads on this subject in this forum, worth checking out.     Where are you getting the HVAR’s and launchers from? 

I think the the majority of the aircraft had beat up NMF and unputtied wings.   The downside of this build are the lack of decals (only one set out there as far as I know) and the fact that many F-51’s were retrofitted with cooling louvres aft of the wing.    These are tough to scratch build.