Spitfire MK IX wheel well colour

Once again google and several model forums are giving me conflicting information. Can any Spitfire experts help me with the colour of the wheel wells of a MK IX spit circa 1944. T’internet searches has it as anything from medium sea green to aluminum to the same colour as the underside camouflage. Needless to say I am hopelessly confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I remember asking the Great Edgar a long time ago. The consensus was the main bit where the wheel goes is generally more often than not the underside Grey colour. The bit where the oleo goes when retracted can be unpainted aluminium OR the underside Grey. I think factory fresh was Aluminium and field repairs possibly got a splash of the Grey in that part. I usually go for the 2 tone finish for some variation. 

58 minutes ago, TimHepplestone said:

Once again google and several model forums are giving me conflicting information. Can any Spitfire experts help me with the colour of the wheel wells of a MK IX spit circa 1944. T’internet searches has it as anything from medium sea green to aluminum to the same colour as the underside camouflage. Needless to say I am hopelessly confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On wartime aircraft, natural aluminium.

On most restored aircraft underside grey or interior green.

I apologise. A bit of misremembering on my part. This is what Edgar had to say. 

Oleo legs and door interiors started life painted silver (over the grey undercoat, as far as the doors are concerned.) Wheel wells are anyone's guess, since Supermarine drawings don't mention them; the areas into which the oleos fitted were likely to have been silver, since that was the standard colour for interior areas, except (obviously) for the cockpit, engine bearers and firewall, which were cockpit grey-green. I've seen silver, green, and underside colour wheel wells, so it's really your choice, and no-one can say that you're wrong.

16 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

I apologise. A bit of misremembering on my part. This is what Edgar had to say. 

Oleo legs and door interiors started life painted silver (over the grey undercoat, as far as the doors are concerned.) Wheel wells are anyone's guess, since Supermarine drawings don't mention them; the areas into which the oleos fitted were likely to have been silver, since that was the standard colour for interior areas, except (obviously) for the cockpit, engine bearers and firewall, which were cockpit grey-green. I've seen silver, green, and underside colour wheel wells, so it's really your choice, and no-one can say that you're wrong.

Thanks, that’s a big help. Guess some modellers license can be used then:thumbsup: