BMF vs Alclad

themongoose

A little background first...So I’m getting ready to start one of the Thunderbirds done in natural metal. I did just a bit of trim on my T-38. Out2gtcha had some advice for me on that one which got me thinking. Since then I’ve gone back and read 40 or 50 pages of threads, including all the ones on soaking aluminum foil and adding pennies and lead to it for color. I’ve gotten a dvd on Alclad and started watching in interest. I’ve decided after a bunch of internal debate to start on the F-84 because of the ease of assembly (no extra resin or cutting like on the F-100 & F-105 so less sanding that will have to be cleaned up perfectly), and no need to learn how to do that crazy bluing on the exhaust while learning to do a natural metal finish.

what I’m wondering is if you guys with experience in these techniques would pass on your thoughts about the pros and cons of each? Do they both look like metal or do you think one is better at that than the other? Any thooughts on whether one Is easier to learn?

It's only MHO, but nothing looks like metal more than actual metal. 

I have indeed seen some excellent Alclad paint jobs.......but to my eye, even as good as they are, it doesn't look like actual aluminum, nore does it wear like it, which is why I chose to learn foiling.

I'm not a fan of BMF, but actual foil does wear and look just like the real thing.

DSC01536-XL.jpg

DSC03391-XL.jpg

DSC03418-XL.jpg

I do like Alclad for a lot of things, and overall, I do like the looks of a lot of Alclad shades, but to my eyes, it just doesnt look as realistic.

It all comes down to the individual modeler, and what look they are going for, and how much work they want to put in.

1 hour ago, themongoose said:

How do you paint over the foil without it pulling up when you remove the tape?

The kitchen foil ends up being a kind of "tape" effectively, but with a lot stronger adhesive. Tamiya rice paper tape seems to work well and generally not pull the foil up. 

I generally de-tack the tape a bit first, but it might not have even been necessary.

Graining the foil, and using enamels or acrylic lacquers really helps the paint get a bite into the foil.

16 hours ago, themongoose said:

I bought some foil glue to try out. Is it supposed to be the consistency of wood glue, or maybe even thicker?

Yep.  It looks like ordinary wood glue, but doesn't act like it. I've had good luck thinning it with plain old H2o.

I did brush it on for quite a while, till I figured out you could thin it 50/50 water/glue (or even 60/40) and shoot it through an airbrush. Just have to clean the AB w/acetone, lacquer thinner or 91% alcohol right after using it.