A Tale of two Cobras: FINISHED

Dukie99

When Academy announced its new AH-1Z Viper last November, I decided to start my MRC AH-1W, hoping to finish it before the arrival of the new kit. I did not quite manage that, as the Academy kit arrived last Thursday and I am mid-way through on the AH-1W. I thought it would be cool to start the Academy kit right away and cover in the same WIP thread the two builds. Box art of the Viper:

i-BCtzjsG-L.jpg

tonight I built the cockpit. Seats are dry fitted. Unfortunately there are no seat belts, I will have to see what to do about that. The details are pretty good and so far the fit is excellent. The plastic is softer than the Trumpeter plastic so you need to go lightly on the sanding.

i-qrPNXDZ-L.jpg

i-3v8Q2hs-L.jpg

And this is the cockpit of the AH-1W. I have used Verlinden detail set which was a huge improvement over the kit parts

i-fTvtRS9-L.jpg

i-hkdv98V-L.jpg

i-Gj4QZZJ-L.jpg

More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

Time for an update. Made some progress on the Viper. Overall it is a great kit and the moulding is absolutely stunning. There is a quite a number of ejection pin mark which can be seen and which therefore need to be filled: the sidewalls of the cockpit, the armor panels in the cockpit and inside the intakes which comes in two parts (with four pin marks on each side...), but nothing too annoying. I did not bother making cushion on the seat as in the pictures these seats look pretty thin, much like a sports car bucket seat. I solved the lacked of seat belts by using eduard mi-24 seatbelts left from my mi-24P build, certainly not super accurate but it looks the part.

i-NnHG7cc-L.jpg

i-gf7xqHQ-L.jpg

i-kVHrnXj-L.jpg

i-7VC6xNv-L.jpg

The kit comes with decals for the MFDs but I don't think they look accurate and I will not use it. I think I will paint the MFD screen gloss black and add a coat of bondic on top and hopefully it will look more like this:

i-m9wKXsp-L.jpg

So far my only disappointment is with the 20mm gun. I don't think it looks very good compared to the Master metal barrels with the Verlinden resin breach I am using for the Whiskey. I have ordered a set of Masters barrels to replace the kit's gun.

i-4tBTgnf-L.jpg

That's it for now. 

Cheers,

David

My build of the Viper has caught up with the Whiskey. Next step for both is now to fit the canopy and then it will be time for primer. The Viper is a great build. If you take your time, everything fits really well and as many have already remarked the surface details of the Viper are amazing.

i-MhwJrD8-L.jpg

i-sPZ32wD-L.jpg

i-rQBqxDh-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

Looking great so far!  It's hard to make an all black cockpit stand out but you have really done a nice job with it.  I got my kit a week ago but I'm trying to finish a few other projects first, your build is making me impatient!

Bryan

great start on both builds. will be watching. I am also waiting for my kit.  I wonder if Eduard is gonna do PE for it.   What  is the horn looking item on top of the large plate on the back left side of the cockpit?

Edited by shark64

My understanding is that the large plate is armor plate and the horn shaped contraption is actually the weapon control joypad in stowage position. IRL it looks remarkably similar to a PlayStation controller, just deadlier...

28 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Looking great so far! Got my kit last week as well an I am eager to start it. I have been looking for a good walk around but couldn’t find anything - is there something around? I am mostly interested in cockpit pics. 

Thanks. This is the best walk around I found, but no real cockpit shots in there:

http://svsm.org/gallery/ah1z/P1430384

Cheers,

David