1/48 Hasegawa Arado 234 "Blitz"-After 3 Years...Completed

mustang1989

3 hours ago, Gazzas said:

That does look very nice, Joe!  I prefer to paint mine in the same way.  Though....it really erks me when I pull off the mask and see that I've completely missed a spot.

Right???!!!! :D

Did ALOT of work today on this bird. The friggin' landing gear legs broke loose from their mounting and I had to re-glue those back on. :doh: I've pretty much completed the camo scheme for this aircraft and have to say that this one goes down as one of the most difficult paint jobs that I've done yet with all the black basing, marbling and masking. Sheesh!!! With all that being said and aside from needing to paint the back of the engine nacelle a burnt black here's where we are now:

and the bottom side.

after the burnt black application on the engine nacelle we'll be off to completing the nose section and applying a gloss coat! My FAVORITE part. :yipee:

Ok gang...……..after 3 years the nose assy is installed at last. That part is why I shelved this build 3 years ago. Just couldn't figure out a way to mount all of that up cleanly. It took me a while to get it all sorted out with an approach to this but I think I found one that worked for me. I had glossed the entire aircraft, applied the decals and then adhered the cockpit assy to the front of the aircraft and masked it off. From there I filled the huge lip that was on the top of the fuselage to cockpit join and worked it all in together by sanding and yet more filling. This resulted in the seam not disappearing from the top of the fuselage at the cockpit join so I added a seam in the name of uniformity. It's not "correct" but it looks uniform. After that I black based the entire sanded and filled area, applied the irregular gray pattern and went back over it in RLM 82. Still a little touch up painting to do on the starboard side of the affected area. Here's where we're at so far.

23 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Looks just great, Joe.

Thanks Kevin and the rest of the gang for the "likes". 

I'll be starting on the engine assembly and painting next. I've been doing my research so as to build as accurate of a 004 as possible. Stay tuned:

Here's where the completed main part of the build is as of now....

I started up on the engine paint up this morning. I have really come to like these macro shots as I use them as a tool to go back and fix certain things that either I miss or made a mistake on. Found a couple of areas that need some attention in the shot below. Anyways....after a base coat, a very light wash just to bring the details out and a little bit of detail painting this is the latest progress:

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

I remember this kit back in the day. Never did buy it, too intimidated by the canopy work. Are you going to mount the engine on the model or have it separate?

Don

Don, when I bought the kit initially I merely wanted to build this aircraft as I've always thought a lot of it. What I found out along the way is exactly what you're describing with not only the amount of canopy work that was needed but the entire nose construction (at least getting the whole front section onto the fuselage and make it look like it belonged there without any botches) onto the fuselage. That, at least for me, was a daunting task just by looking at it and a real PIA to carry out and get to look at least half right. It was hard work but it paid off for me. I don't think I've built the best 234 ever but I do feel pretty good about it.