HPH Models 1/32 C-47 'That's All Brother'

Crossofiron

Hello all,

Need to be open and honest here people.

This kit is a conundrum.

The Navigator and Engineers Bulkhead Sections are incredibly detailed;

resized_328dac4a-b99e-43c1-a222-39b88125

resized_16f9ac7b-0a66-45f8-884f-b9ac7b30

Now, you can see that the sound proof quilting has been built into the structure of the kit and there are two very detailed bulkheads.

Trouble is, with only  one top sky-dome you simply will not see any of this stuff!

I have thought about lighting it but I think with the interior green finish, that will not help all that much.

So, apart from this thread as a record, what is the point?

Yeah, I know, I know it's there but its is making a very expensive kit this internal detail and I feel somewhat perplexed over what to do.

I can't cut the fuselage either because of the quilting.

This is a museum quality display piece and 20% of it you cannot see.

I have mailed HPH over this in case I have missed a trick and I have also asked if I can pay for the starboard side in clear resin to give me a fighting chance.

Would love your comments on this guys, feeling a bit deflated.

Now the PBY is winking at me...:frantic:

Yep, I totally see what you mean...I thought the same when looking at mine again recently.  My final thoughts were to maybe leave a lot of it out and put them lovely parts in my spares box.  I dunno either.  

Opening the side 'Hamburger' door is a good option that I hadn't thought of strangely

Would have thought you were aware of the level of detail inside, firstly as you paying £ 700 quid, and secondly as theres lots of infor all over the net aboutthis kit, cant say ive ever heard anyone complain theres too much detail in a kit...

HPH wont make you a clear part as it needs a different mold

you could leave the bits out if you cant see them.......

or just build it as it was meant to be built...

Hi Mark

It's not a complaint there is too much detail in the kit, it's just when you look at how stunning it all is, you cant help but feel it's a shame it cant be seen.  Much like many other kits we have in our stashes.  I am sure the WNW Lanc will be the same as are many more going to be in the future.  I would rather they supply it, which gives you options.  Look what Kent did with his HpH Cat....superb cutaway

Stick with building the Dak mate..... although I wont complain if I see the Catalina on the bench either!

32 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

Would have thought you were aware of the level of detail inside, firstly as you paying £ 700 quid, and secondly as theres lots of infor all over the net aboutthis kit, cant say ive ever heard anyone complain theres too much detail in a kit...

HPH wont make you a clear part as it needs a different mold

you could leave the bits out if you cant see them.......

or just build it as it was meant to be built...

Oh believe me, I researched it!

However, it's not till you get it on the bench you see the issue propper,  I knew for £700 I was buying something special!

Does not mean I am going to give up, just got a far bigger challenge.

I will wait to see what HPH say.

As I said, the fundamental difference here is the fact that the Sound Proof Quilting  is so integral to the kit.

But..

I am going to have a play; I have an idea to open the entire port side from the Cockpit Bulkhead to the Cargo Door, just leaving the centre 'Emergency' Window Intact.

Will let you know...

In the meantime, the Cat's coming out; I can carve that one up...

Cheers

Steve

3 minutes ago, rigor said:

What about make the top of the fuselage removeable just in that. Spot. Or after you remove that spot vac a clear  peice from that peice 

Yes mate, thinking about that too.

May get a wooden block sorted to form a new roof and take the quilting away as it wraps the whole fuselage...

I will just make the most beautiful painting to the level of detail proposed in the kit.
Then beautiful photos of the work done that I will exhibit next to the model.
Close everything.
I find that making large openings, transparencies or removable parts kill the beauty and lines of the plane.
It's a pity for a model of such a price but it is the dark side that we meet if we build big planes, the same thing for B-17, Lanc ,etc.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:06 AM, Babs said:

I find that making large openings, transparencies or removable parts kill the beauty and lines of the plane.

I 100% agree with that!  It is a shame all of that will be covered, but I agree about the look of the clear fuselage or removable parts. 

On 3/23/2019 at 4:37 AM, Crossofiron said:

Hello all,

Need to be open and honest here people.

This kit is a conundrum.

I have thought about lighting it but I think with the interior green finish, that will not help all that much.

So, apart from this thread as a record, what is the point?

Yeah, I know, I know it's there but its is making a very expensive kit this internal detail and I feel somewhat perplexed over what to do.

I can't cut the fuselage either because of the quilting.

This is a museum quality display piece and 20% of it you cannot see.

How about one of those medical "pill cameras" that you swallow so the doctors can see inside you? You could mount it on a stick that protrudes out of the fuse. and slide it back and forth to see the different details :-) I was at a museum in DC I believe....or maybe it was Mystic Sea Port...they had a model of a sailing ship with a small camera that you could slide in and out to see all the details of the below the main deck on a monitor next to the display case.

I'm kidding (sort of) of course, I'm sure it would prohibitively expensive...but it would be a cool feature. Looking forward to more progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Bit of an update for you.

I thought long n hard about progressing with this and I have decided to open up her port side.

Unfortunately, I have had to go to HPH for a replacement port side as I found damage when I started working on it and the replacement will take a few weeks.

I have also decided to change the subject after stumbling across a video while researching and I am going to make a Spooky Gunship out of her because;

• All planes should carry guns
  • There was a lot of risk and etch modifications to fit the SCR-717 Radar
  • I can weather the hell out of her

So, while I research Spooky Gunships and await the new fuselage half, going to start on my Tomcat for, if anything else, the sanity of polystyrene plastic...

I will start a new thread on the Gunship...

Many thanks all for bearing with me.

Cheers

Steve

It's a typical HPH kit.

Great un-kitted subject in 1/32, looks utterly superb in the box, incredibly well detailed, damned expensive, and an absolute pain in the posterior to build.

Good luck. You're a better man then me