gerry1

Ebay 1/32 planes at ridiculous prices!

Posted (edited)

Hello:

I was looking through ebay and noticed a chinese seller offering 1/32 planes at ridiculous prices.  Don't know if it's legit:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Trumpeter-02265-1-32-P-47N-Thunderbolt/123699327792?epid=2255338958&hash=item1ccd0df330:g:QkgAAOSwzaJX3uV7.

His feedback is not bad but maybe someone on here has dealt with them before.

Edited by gerry1

I tried ordering a trumpter Mil 24 from eBay, from a Chinese seller and wasn't hugely surprised 3 months later when nothing arrived... I knew something was amiss when the tracking information kept showing as invalid. I waited until the delivery window had passed, contacted the seller, who failed to respond. I then raised a claim with Paypal and the seller instantly responded saying that due to a mistake the package was never sent... Hmmm! Well I knew it was too good to be true and I was right!

Posted (edited)

The prices do seem a little low, especially with free shipping , but then again I bought 2 Trump A-1s for £39 plus shipping , approx 1/2 the RRP in the uk, so those prices aren't entirely out of the ball park

Edited by Scotsman

Picked up a HB 1/32 P-61 for $80 incl shpg from the same guy. Have had Harold's props forever, so couldn't pass it up. Won't be here til May, no rush to get it, though.

Seller has an eccentric selection of items for sale, that's for sure.

A few of the Chinese sellers are very good. I've ordered from them a number of times and price is very good and usually delivered within a week to 10 days. 

I have done this only once, I ordered the new Border Models Panzer IV for $39.00.  The seller communication was great and the model arrived eventually.  Obviously it was slow boat for that shipping price.

Posted (edited)

Maybe a few of the Chinese sellers are very good, but I wouldn't touch this--or other sellers like this--with a ten-foot pole.

1. Chinese sellers offering kits or other products at ridiculously low prices have been discussed on a lot on this and other forums. I've never seen anyone come back and post the following month that their bargain purchase actually arrived as advertised.

2. This seller has such low overhead/cuts out the middleman/plays the exchange rate such that he can make money charging only $25 for a kit that retails for $125 in the USA and then ship it half way around the world to you for only $10. Yeah, right.

3. "But PayPal protects the buyer, so I've got nothing to lose." Maybe, or perhaps even probably. Still, do you really want to put yourself through the aggravation of filing a claim?  Is this worth worrying about getting your money back or worrying about them stealing your financial information or scamming you later in some other way we can't even anticipate?

4. "His feedback looks good." To me, not really. Rather, it looks more to me like his feedback has been faked. An unusually large proportion of his seller feedback comes from buyers with low feedback themselves, mostly for private transactions. More telling, if you look at his "feedback left for others" the comments are quite different from one another like they've been copied from some other feedback thread consisting of multiple authors. If you look at "feedback left for others" from legitimate eBay sellers (like me) the comments tend to be identical or at least similar since a single seller ordinarily writes about the same thing in response to every successful transaction.

5. As people have warned over and over in response to postings like this, if it looks to good to be true it probably is.

My favorite example of this scam (whatever it is) was one I saw on eBay a couple of years ago where the Chinese seller was offering for sale three copies of some ancient collectible Renwal kit. (It might have been the Visible Wasp engine; I can't recall for sure.) I'm sure these were commonly sold in China during the 1960s which explains how someone there would have multiple copies to sell! 

I like a bargain as much as the next person, but don't let your excitement to get a bargain cloud your judgement.

Edited by edfifer

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, GusM said:

A few of the Chinese sellers are very good. I've ordered from them a number of times and price is very good and usually delivered within a week to 10 days. 

The "e Packet" shipping from Hong Kong gets to my house in Florida sooner than stuff from Sprue Brothers in Missouri sometimes.

I find ordering from the big discount Far East suppliers to be very reliable; shop around though b/c sometimes the cheapest price, by far, is on Ebay, sometimes not!

Edited by ringleheim

I stick to the European sellers. It's the safest way, never had any problems, and no unnecessary customs surprises.I'm happy to pay the price for a decent kit, with the knowledge you wont get screwed by unpleasant surprises that raises the price to the limit. :whistle:

22 hours ago, gerry1 said:

Hello:

I was looking through ebay and noticed a chinese seller offering 1/32 planes at ridiculous prices.  Don't know if it's legit:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Trumpeter-02265-1-32-P-47N-Thunderbolt/123699327792?epid=2255338958&hash=item1ccd0df330:g:QkgAAOSwzaJX3uV7.

Add the shipping and handling and it won't be so ridiculous--will end up being close to what we pay anyway, if it arrives.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, gerry1 said:

Hello:

there have been at least 10 times i ve ordered Trump 32nds from Chinese shops-i think 2-3different-about half the cost of the local market(p47s are UNDER 60$ INCLUDING ship.!),all came within 2-3 calendar weeks,one time i had to cancel an order-on my behalf-and another i asked for replacement parts,in all they solved the case perfectly, just look for sellers with big sells and avoid the opposite