Trak-Tor

A trip to Australia - advice, tips and more...

Posted (edited)

Calling the other side of the World!

I've got a short trip to this part of the planet scheduled for July (1 week in Melbourne, 1 week in Sydney).
I'll be accompanying my dear wife on her business mission there.
But there will be some time reserved for my aviation hobby for sure.
I've got most of the things planned already, but any tip or advice would be appreciated.

Australian National Aviation Museum at Moorabbin airport and RAAF Museum + The B24 Liberator Memorial are on my list.
A few things planned for Sydney too although the Fighter World will be out of reach, probably.

I'd gladly meet some of you for a pint or two. 
And having a local company on the Museums visits would be excellent!

So if you've got something interesting on mind, just reply here. Or send me a PM.
Thanks a lot!

:piliot:

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor

Watch out for Drop Bears, they will be in season at that time of the year.

And be aware that if you are in Sydney they close the Harbour Bridge at 5 every evening for an hour to let the kangaroos go back north

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Not aviation related but if you are in Sydney then do the bridge walk, it's pretty amazing though you will have to book early.

Cheers

Dennis

Well, that looks interesting. I'm not sure we are fit to climb that. The Pylon Lookout is another option...

42 minutes ago, RadBaron said:

Temora Aviation Museum, located in Temora, NSW, is a good look if you have the time to drive out there. 

Thanks for that. Too far away, I'm afraid. HARS is on my list for Sydney week so far...

54 minutes ago, Nessus said:

And be aware that if you are in Sydney they close the Harbour Bridge at 5 every evening for an hour to let the kangaroos go back north

I'll make some photos of that for sure.

Juraj

In Sydney, take a flight in a seaplane from Rose Bay to Palm Beach or Cottage Point.  The flight up along the northern beaches is spectacular, as Pittwater.  I lived there for 5 years as a teenager and it was paradise.

https://sydneybyseaplane.com/

https://www.seaplanes.com.au/

Cheers,

Michael

16 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Well, that looks interesting. I'm not sure we are fit to climb that. The Pylon Lookout is another option...

The actual climb is slow and very gentle, it's not physical at all.

Cheers

Dennis

Bump!

Just a month left...
I'm getting excited, slowly...
Any more advice?

Do the locals usually hurt aliens trying to drive on the other side of the roads there?

:whistle:

Anybody interested in a meet-up?

Thanks for looking.

Juraj

Posted (edited)

Catch the ferry to Watson’s Bay (near Rose Bay) and grab fish and chips at the Pub next to Doyle’s seafood restaurant with locals and tourists. (Catalina flying boat that use to fly from here is at the technology museum.) Unfortunately only one centrally located hobby store (in QVB building.)

Hope the weather is good for you!

PS The B24 museum is a bit of a trip from central Melbourne but IMO totally worth it. 

Edited by Pup7309

Try Hearns Hobbies at Flinders Street station in Melbourne. I always drop in when I visit Oz but beware that you might find that it is expensive compared to what you are used to.

Yep, definitely a huntsman - and only a small one at that. They're not aggressive, but are very very fast, and will give you a nasty nip if they have to. They'd rather just run away, though. I found one under the instructions in a kit box on my workbench once.

Kev

Most important:  Don't eat the Vegemite!!

Before you put any shoes on, tip them out to make sure no Funnel Web spiders are in there...  Kill ya in minutes!

Don't lick a cane toad.  yep...  poisonous.

Like snakes?  They're almost all deadly.  Leave them alone.

Like swimming?  Stay in the pool.  Saltwater Crocodiles, Bull sharks, and box jellyfish reside in coastal and some inland waters.

Don't turn left on red unless there is a sign telling you that you can do so.

Don't buy Fosters.  That's export beer.

When you're entering a roundabout yield to the right.