Not happy with my photos...

Gazzas

2 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Try the Sigma Zoom 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM, from their Contemporary line.  Around $USD 400 at B&H or Adorama but some places have it cheaper.  I use it for all of my model photography.  Very useful lens at a reasonable price!  

Sounds wonderful!  I just dont quite have that much to spend on a lens only.  My DSLR is a Nikon D3400 that I really like, and my current lens is also a Sigma, 70-300mm Macro/Tele, and i like it a LOT, and its very useful for a lot of things, but not close up shots for modeling. 

I've actually got a really nice camera shop down the street from me, and they rent lenses. Im going to see about renting a 17-70 Macro to see if I like it. They have several models for rent, including a Sigma, but not sure if its the same one or not. I figured for $24 for a week, even if I get one I don't like that much, I can move on to the next one without too much guilt or expenditure. 

Brian... did your DSLR come with a kit lens?  I think a standard 18-55 kit lens would work just fine for modeling.  You could get one used for less than $100.  IMO, you don't really need/want a macro lens.  Cropping on 20mp sensor should get you more than close enough to any model or part. 

28 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Brian... did your DSLR come with a kit lens?  I think a standard 18-55 kit lens would work just fine for modeling.  You could get one used for less than $100.  IMO, you don't really need/want a macro lens.  Cropping on 20mp sensor should get you more than close enough to any model or part. 

I got a D3400 "kit" that had the body, a tripod, cleaning kit, case and a bunch of other stuff, for a really great price. They basically took the standard D3400 kit and took it apart to resell the stock lens separately. I ended up picking up my Sigma 70-300 on EBay too for about $150 new.

I did rent the base Nikon 18-50 lens from the camera shop down the street, but wasnt overly impressed with it. I was hoping to find a similarly lens from Sigma or other. 

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I got a D3400 "kit" that had the body, a tripod, cleaning kit, case and a bunch of other stuff, for a really great price. They basically took the standard D3400 kit and took it apart to resell the stock lens separately. I ended up picking up my Sigma 70-300 on EBay too for about $150 new.

I did rent the base Nikon 18-50 lens from the camera shop down the street, but wasnt overly impressed with it. I was hoping to find a similarly lens from Sigma or other. 

Gotcha!  I based my recommendation on your comment that the Sigma was too expensive.  Another thrifty option is a 50mm f/1.8.  I personally find it a hassle to use my DSLR for in-progress shots.  I just use my little point-n-shoot and won't bust out the big gun until the model is finished.

So...  you guys who know how to use nice cameras....

Since my phone obviously isn't up to the task, what can I hope to do with something less-expensive like a CANON IXUS 185(or something in it's price range)?  I really know very little of cameras, l and I'm really not a shutter bug so models would be the only thing I'd be doing.

Gaz

Gaz... I think the IXUS 185 would do perfectly fine, especially using the light box.  But your phone shots in the light box look pretty good too.  I'm not sure how much better the IXUS 185 would get you above the phone.  I use one these for my in-progress shots...

61NTsrvPEaL._SX425_.jpg

It's a small camera but it also gives me the ability to shoot in RAW, which is what I prefer.  This gives me more control over the post-processing.  It's not "necessary" but it is something that I like to do.

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with modern phone cameras, so don't spend more money for a stand alone camera.

I've had more than my fair share of of those light boxes and never cared for any of them. I'm too impatient dealing with trying to get just the angle I want, moving the subject for every shot and not having the edge of the box in the way. 

One of the best kept secrets in photography is called "open shade" which is nothing more than a shady place open to the outdoors. Direct sunlight is a definite no-no. Place your model on a white surface to get some bounce light to fill any shadows. Since your subject is bathed in ambient light you just set it down and YOU move around to get the angle you want. The problem with artificial lighting is that very few people understand it, so use what nature gave you for free.

Another very important this is "white balance", make sure you understand it and use it properly.

Although this isn't a model airplane it demonstrates how open shade works. My photo.
56822238.jpg

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

I'd also add that it's worth having a browse at camera apps - there are some that are a serious improvement on the standard app. Look at some reviews, try to find one that does good close-up and macro shots.

And they are free!!

And you can automatically back up you pics to a hosting site.

I've a Canon DSLR, I rarely use it inside the house, especially when my humble S7 camera is always on hand.

Gazzas this is a great topic. I've been thinking the same as you. Looking over the responses I made a few changes, the 1st being to use a background. With my iPhone it seems the color of the background affected the shot and the camera had trouble focusing. So to your point, I still wasn't happy lol  Not sure why it took this long but yesterday after looking at this again I thought, hey is there an App for that. Sure enough one of the photography sites had a rating for iPhone camera Apps. I paid $3 for Camera+2 and can't believe the functions that you get control of on just the iPhone - shutter speed, ISO, focus, and white balance. Here's a few shots from practicing after watching the self-help videos they have.

I'm trying to take pics of a foiled part so decided to start by duplicating what I did yesterday with just the phone and background. This is the original

IMG_1885-XL.jpg

This is with white balance adjusted. Now the color matches my background to my eye. Still not crisp when it comes to the rivets though. More work to be done.

IMG_1886-XL.jpg

And here's an original and an adjusted picture of my photo booth setup. 

IMG_5562-XL.jpg

Slightly blurry because I don't have a tripod for this and the shutter speed wouldn't go below 1.5 seconds.

IMG_5563-L.jpg

So not sure how helpful any of this is me being a newbie to this stuff. Sure is interesting though! Great topic you started as I think it will help alot of people who want to take better photos.

18 hours ago, themongoose said:

With my iPhone it seems the color of the background affected the shot and the camera had trouble focusing.

Camera phones are primarily engineered to give a good photo on every day occurrences like vacation photos, selfies, etc. and use what's called "auto white balance". Knowing how to defeat that in processing is the key.

• 4 years later...
On 3/31/2019 at 12:13 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Anthony Oliver is also working on a book about scale model photography, which will hopefully be out later this year.

Kev

Hehehe that book was going to be out many years ago... I built and supplied built samples for that when I was still at Wingnut Wings, and James Hatch supplied builds when Anthony was still in the UK.

I lost touch with Anthony so I haven't heard from him in a while.

8 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Hehehe that book was going to be out many years ago... I built and supplied built samples for that when I was still at Wingnut Wings, and James Hatch supplied builds when Anthony was still in the UK.

I lost touch with Anthony so I haven't heard from him in a while.

He's pulled a lot of his social media stuff, and last I saw, was focussing more on his blog. I think he still plans to finish and release the book, but I haven't heard from him in a while either.

Kev