OS2U Kingfisher 1:32 Finished!

Fvdm

Great job so far! Ferry, before you get too far in, check the fit of the radios and if they interfere with the rear canopy, the Eduard PE is taller and may cause them to hit the insides.

Edited by 1to1scale

5 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Great job so far! Ferry, before you get too far in, check the fit of the radios and if they interfere with the rear canopy, the Eduard PE is taller and may cause them to hit the insides.

Thanks for the warning, I will look into it. 

Last week I continued working on the radio's and the inside of the fuselage halves. Just a little more detailpainting and the fuselage halves are ready. I saw that it is better to glue the wings first to the fuselage halves before glueing the halves together. Before I can glue the winghalves together I had to dril the holes KH forgot. Then i glued the winghalver together. They fitted really wel. 

bbYJMs.jpg

Below are the pictures of my work last week without further comments

Pltx90.jpg

V7yLOH.jpg

rzlkTX.jpg

LKQqfG.jpg

6i6BN2.jpg

m0VsXQ.jpg

JkJwVO.jpg

On the last picture you can see I still have to bend the belts.

So far I am really enjoing myself building this kit and I wonder why there are so few people building this beauty. :)

That's it for now. Thanks for watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after a bad case of men-flu I :D feel good enough to go on with the build and place an update.

I finished detailpainting the insides of the fuselage an wheatered it a bit. Then I glued the wings to the fuselage halves and the fit is real nice. Looking at the fuselage halves and wondering if I can glue the halves together is saw that the holes for the main float weren't drilled through. So thathad to be done and then it was time for a dryfit.

Ax8kAz.jpg

EX0qw6.jpg

cWpS0l.jpg

K0PGCv.jpg

That looked ok so it was time to glue things up.

And after a week the glue really dried. I see in the afterpart that there is a little gap between the sidewall and the horizontal plate so i will need to fill this up.

mWeOSe.jpg

Io4xFn.jpg

Altough I pay a lot of attention to dryfitting it seems i need a little bit more attention.

Thanks for watching.

Ferry

Edited by Fvdm

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a new update. Now the fuselage was glued together it was time for the floats. There was some PE to glue on the floats but how hard i looked, there was not enough PE. I missed a hatch. I took my P&D and made a new one.

DHDVbb.jpg

On every hatch I needed a handle. These handles aren't very big.

2MnvmM.jpg

Each line is 1mm. 

yRQh6A.jpg

After applying all the PE I got this as a result

fHYw0A.jpg

nm1cS0.jpg

It seems that the handles at the back of the float are a bit fragile to ( or am I just a bit clumsy? ) so these are also made of brass rod.

6wBBPq.jpg

The braces you see here are very fragile and I wasn't able to keep this in one piece. I broke it two times and so I removed them. From brass rod I soldered new ones and it is much stronger.

0mMJ29.jpg

I will make a better picture for next time.

Here you see the wheelsupports in the float but they are only there for keeping the float level. It must be level for glueing to the fuselage. after that I will remove them.

At last I mounted the engine to the fuselage.

lKFyWf.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Ferry

You are doing some tremendous work here Ferry! 

You are confirming to others what I already knew; this kit definitely has some oddities to it,  but overall it fits really well and is enjoyable to build. 

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

The last fews days I was bending, glueing en soldering PE. I love the stuff!

First I made the parts for the MG

SnEEFR.jpg

The MG is almost ready, all i need to do is the visor. 

Then I went on with the bombs and the pylons. The kitparts look like this.

mku4f7.jpg

Eduard supplied these extra's

krGgX5.jpg

And when you are ready it should look something like this.

NZABgE.jpg

And the bomb looks like this.

VrCHDR.jpg

The next step was to glue the windshield. I had the idea of polishing everything and protect the shield/canopy with gloss for a real shiny result.

I think I have to practice a lot more to prefent this.

Xoi6xE.jpg

I am such an idiot so now and then. I will contact Kitty hawk and ask if I can buy a new sprue. 

Ferry

43 minutes ago, Fvdm said:

Xoi6xE.jpg

I am such an idiot so now and then. I will contact Kitty hawk and ask if I can buy a new sprue. 

Try this - Put the part in Future or a gloss clear, gently spread the crack and close it. In theory the clear will seep into the crack and hide it. It won't be "glued" back together. Kind of the same theory as those windshield crack fix kits. If you have a bell jar or the like where you can pull a vacuum, that would be best.

At this point what do you have to lose?

BTW, beautiful work so far!

Thank for the tip. I will certainly try this.

The switches are in the eduard set.

sipxpZ.gif

See number 36-37-38. You bend these in an U-shape and place them through the holes in number 6. Behind this is part 5 as a backplate. I then bend some switches in different positions.

Edited by Fvdm

Tuesday I sent an email to Kitty Hawk asking if I could buy a spare sprue.

Yesterday I had an email back with the comment that I can get the sprue and only have to pay the transport.

I think that is great service!! Thanks Kitty Hawk.

Something other manufacturers can take as an example.