OS2U Kingfisher 1:32 Finished!

Fvdm

46 minutes ago, Fvdm said:

Tuesday I sent an email to Kitty Hawk asking if I could buy a spare sprue.

Yesterday I had an email back with the comment that I can get the sprue and only have to pay the transport.

I think that is great service!! Thanks Kitty Hawk.

Something other manufacturers can take as an example.

Excellent news! 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late answer Oliver, I want to make the boxart. I don't know if the schema is right because it isn't one from the kit but i prefer blue wings instead of yellow wings.

The new parts from Kitty Hawk arrived this and I am very happy. I think the service is great so a big thanks to Kitty Hawk.

And then the progress. I glued the cowling but I couldn't get the fit right. I dont know why or how but I did something wrong. However, with a lot of filling and sanding it turned out nice. I needed to rescribe the rivets and that was a first for me. I'm reasonably happy with it. I also placed the lights in the wings and the pylons. The lights are masked for painting. I glued the two parts of the canopy that are in fixed position after i masked and painted the inside. Now a little masking is necessary and then on to the primer. 

And now the pics.

XhhFTl.jpg

QPHb6j.jpg

6FuvYk.jpg

wpAX5C.jpg

qJCAfP.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Ferry

• 3 weeks later...

It aint much but progress is progress. I primed the plane and then the float needed to be glued. I made a stand to fix the plane and the float and then glued it with 2 components glue. Then I added some lead (1500 grams in total :huh:) to ensure a good fit. After about 24 hours the bond was really strong.

Hq0lXa.jpg

Then it was time to attach the wingfloats. I read that this was no easy fix so i placed the N struts first then a float and the front strut and as last the back strut. I think it went well and I'm very pleased with the result.

QeNh7J.jpg

KN84Or.jpg

YjylMD.jpg

The wheelframes need to be removed but they helped me alligning the float. In the above pic you can see a little addition. I made some tension wires from the fuselage to the plane. I used some brass tube 0.3mm.

Now its time for painting. I will take my time for this and will try to take some more pics for you. I want to use the salt methode for a first time and i also got some paintmasks from Maketar to try for a first time. I need to figure out how to use them but I think i'll manage.

Thanks for watching.

Amazing work, i love the progress!

Remember to paint the clear tear drops on top of the wings red, not clear red, they are fuel cap covers, not lights. They were designed to flip open to keep sea water out during operations on water. So far your work is amazing and makes me want to build mine. This kit was the very first LSP I bought, I saw it and called my wife to ask if I could bring it home, the rest is history. 

I think you you are inspiring me to break it out of the box.

Thanks. I know i have to paint the tear drops on the wings. That's why I have primed them and not painted them clear red. Thanks for the reminder.

So far I think it's a great kit. There are some challenges but that makes things only interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Vacation is over so it's time to post an update. Ik gave my photboot a permanent place and bought a second flash so I don't need to clean up first, get the photoboot make pictures and put everyting away. So hopefully I can make easier pics and also more pics.

It was time to paint the white first. After one coat it looked like this

b9kHI4.jpg

After a few more thin coats I thought it was ok.

lRgyru.jpg

I wanted to use the wire methode Brian used in his DO-335 thread at the groupbuilds. I searched for some kite wire and ended up buying wire 2mm thick. This wasn't useable because the tape wouldn't stick on the wire so the wire enden up in the bin. Then i toke some thin wire but this had the same problem so this also ended in the bin. The lastthing i tried was electric cable 1,7mm thick and that worked reasonably well so i will use this.

vwX4su.jpg

From top to bottom, electric cable, thin wire, 2mm wire.

Below you will see a pic from the float where i used the electric wire

BhNvq5.jpg

I needed to spray some more white fro the masks.

DLQws2.jpg

In the meantime I made a start with a piece of the katapult. I made two side with the holes and with some shallow holes.

lnNflN.jpg

K11fQH.jpg

To imitate the rivets I bought some steel bearings 1,2mm diameter. The shallow holes are a fraction smaller then the bearings so I can push the bearings in with some CA for a good fit.

QoSmwh.jpg

JvHvAP.jpg

I think this looks real good.

That's it for now, thanks for watching.

The work here is fantastic from top to bottom.

When I was a kid in the 1970s, I was over at a friend's house down in the basement, watching his older brother apply the finishing touches to the Monogram 1/48 Kingfisher kit.  He was a really good modeler and I fell in love!

I've had an interest in these planes ever since and this example is just terrific!