OS2U Kingfisher 1:32 Finished!

Fvdm

Ok ladys and gent's,

Now that i have to wait to finish the swordfish it's time to start another animal, a kingfisher this time.

LEIkYk.jpg

When i saw this one for the first time I immediatly fell in love. What a beautiful airplane. It is my first Kitty Hawk kit so I don't really know what to expect. Off course I have read some WIP's so I know there are some things that require some extra attention. Bottomline is that it is just some plastic with a little PE so wat can go wrong?

Of course i have some PE for this bird. In fact I have the Big Ed set and that is al the PE there is.

aPqILt.jpg

I really like the PE but sometimes I wonder what Eduard is thinking. Flat ignitionwires?? In my opinion they can leave this behind. I have rather no ignitionwires than flat ones. I will use leadwire instead or copperwire. 

The color scheme I like the most is the one below.

rlpDJr.jpg

Instead of the yellow wings I will intend to paint blue wings, like the boxart.

One thing that I don't know is what brand of paint Kitty Hawk uses for there kits. I will use Mr Hobby Aqueous but i would like to know if I have the correct numbers. Those anyone of you guys know what paint they use?

I will keep you posted with weekly updates and hope to make this my best model (as I hope for each model :lol:)

Thanks for watching 

Ferry

Edited by Fvdm

Nice!  Will follow along.

A very under-represented kit IMHO. Ive built a couple, and contrary to what you seem to read some places, its definitely buildable. 

Niggles in no particular order, OOB as this is how I made mine: 

- Engine mounts. Take the instruction steps on this with the proverbial grains of salt. Its really Mikey mouse, and not a good solution at all.  Its been long enough that I dont exactly remember what I did, but I did not follow the KHM steps.

- X-braces between main float. Be prepared to break these, multiple times. They are molded very weak, OOB, and you may want to think about replacing them, or just leaving them off till last.

- Main float connection. This is exceptionally weak OOB. I would highly recommend fixing these with steel pins and epoxy. 

- Tail wheel. This is also very weak OOB. I might also suggest putting some piano wire embedded in this. One good push down on the finished model, and the tail wheel will bit the dust. 

- Outrigger floats. The connections to the wings have small bumps in them that coincide with non-existent holes in the wings.  The instructions NEVER mention these, but the outline for the holes is inside the inner parts of the lower wings, and the holes need to be punched out prior to assembling the wings. 

- Rear machine gun. While things fit here, it becomes SUPER delicate, and can break really easily. I might suggest finding a way to leave it off until the end.

Im sure there is other stuff I missed too, but overall I had fun with this kit, and you can too. If you are so inclined, IIRC I documented things fairly will in my KHM demo build:

DSC05522.jpg

*EDIT*

Almost forgot............

Dont make the same mistake I did................The red caps on top are not wing lights, they are bulbous fuel caps. Paint them opaque red, not clear red like I did!

IIRC, the instructions mention nothing about what these actually are.

DSC05491.jpg

Thanks for the tips Brian. I read your WIP 2 times and think it's a great guide.

I will pay extra attention to the engine mounts and the outrigger floats. The x-braces look very fragile and I think I will replace them with some brass. I have the intention (don't know yet if I'm really gonna do it) of making a piece of a catapult to place the plane on so I dont have challenges with the wheels.The tip for the mainfloat to strenghten it is very usefull. I'll see what i can do.

I'm really looking forward of buiding this one and I know that I have to temper my enthusiasm and dryfit everything carefully. And I will not make the same mistakes about the fuelcaps ;)

1 hour ago, Finn said:

How about 2 on cats and one on the deck:

Jari

Hmmmm, nice idea. I only need to buy two more planes and maybe a warship in 32nd scale. :D the only problem with that is that a warship doesn't fit in the house. And i really don't want to buy another house so I'll stick with 1 plane. If that's ok? :P

Thanks for the pics Jari. I had not seen them before.

First steps are made. According to the instructions I started with the engine. When I cut the cilinderblocks I saw some extra plastic which I had to cut away :)

mXuDfr.jpg

I cut more parts and painted them before I start glueing. I think I can get the best result this way because I can airbrush almost everything instead of using a brush.

CND26V.jpg

I then made the baffle ring (I don't know if that is the correct name. If not, ,please correct me). Therefor I had to cut some plastic and use some PE. By the time I wanted to paint this I saw something strange. Below you will see the instructions of Eduard and the part I made.

BOFeB7.jpg

The picture is different than the part. The part can be made in one way but it is not the correct way. I have the PDF from Glenn Hoover as a guide and there is also the part as I made it.

I don't know who is right but I think that maybe Eduard made a mistake. The PDF from Glenn Hoover doesn't mention anything about this so I don't trust this either. I hope the holes don't have any function and I will glue the part just on the cilinders and hope for the best.

This is the what I have got at the moment.

tWu8I3.jpg

IraubC.jpg

I know in the picture above you will see a seem but this will not be vissible in the model.

Now back to bench. Thanks for watching

Ferry

Great work so far Ferry!  The engine mounts are coming up soon..................dont trust anything about the steps to install the mount or engine. Jump a few steps ahead, and do lots of dry fitting. 

The mount arrangement and sequence of installation is pretty bad.

On 3/19/2019 at 2:07 PM, Finn said:

How about 2 on cats and one on the deck:

dbf820a2a56f14b2_large

The more I look at that picture the more I like it...........................just a great moment in time, with all sorts of action it in  conveying the time period..............

The running engines on both Kingfishers, the officers on deck talking, Seaman also talking on deck, the large white water trail behind the carrier in an arc to get into launch position, and most interesting to me, the human nature of the poses captured in the pic.  The nav/gunner in the foreground reaching for or looking for something in the pit, and the pilot in the foreground looking up at something. 

Really a great window in time. 

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work so far Ferry!  The engine mounts are coming up soon..................dont trust anything about the steps to install the mount or engine. Jump a few steps ahead, and do lots of dry fitting. 

The mount arrangement and sequence of installation is pretty bad.

Thanks Brian, I will keep it in mind.  

40 minutes ago, Finn said:

a0d50290a20475a5_large

Jari

This really is an inspirational photograph.  Perhaps I should build 2. One on the catapult and one like this.  Choises, choises choises. :hmmm: 

As Brian mentioned, the engine mounts needed placement. I was warned about the fitting so I looked a while at it and came up with a solution to try.  The engine mounts consists of three parts, E19-E26-E27

C8Cd1L.jpg

While fitting each part on its own I thought that there where two parts a bit annoying so I removed them. These are parts E79-E80

BAGI0L.jpg

Whit these removed the fit went quite easy. I placed the three parts and a drop of CA glued them together. When dry I spayed the part and I had this

dCvHul.jpg

I dryfitted the part also on the bulkhead and it fitted quite nicely so i glued the engine mounts to the engine.

7b72RB.jpg

Looks nice. Then it was time to place the valve covers and the parts E79-E80.

RDTNJV.jpg

In the meantime I made the exhausts. I still need to apply some powders but it is painted. Also the first bulkhead is glued and painted and is now drying.

CzXJ3o.jpg

And the last pic is the gorgeous IP

NjP2IN.jpg

Thanks for watching

Ferry

Edited by Fvdm

Last week I spent my time on the radioequipment and the interior. First of all I saw that there must be a cable at the bulkhead for the pilotchair that was partly in the kit but not with the Eduard PE so I made my own. I started with some fine-threaded electrical wire.

LTPGjY.jpg

I twisted this, made a loop in it and added some albion alloy brass tube 0,6mm. The tube was soldered.

W6bSWR.jpg

At the other end another piece of brass tube is soldered.

AAIoVr.jpg 

After a dryfit I was happy with the result.

ITKJ5G.jpg

I also had to make some springs for the pilotseat. This is done with 0,15mm copperwire

aPqtpw.jpg

I am not totally happy with the result but when the seat is in the cockpit it  looks ok.

After assembling the gunners-seat it was time for some primer and some paint.

vzHxbJ.jpg

The gray spot is for the headrest wich i removed here. It has to be painted brown before glueing. Then it was time for some radio-equipment. I think Eduard did a great job here. There is even one panel with a lot of switches. In the pictures it looks like very striped surfaces but as you will know that is because of the macro lens.

CaExG7.jpg

2PkIfg.jpg