Special Hobby T-2D Buckeye

dutik

Hello, friends!

My hat is in the ring. The kit of the choice is Special Hobby's T-2C Buckeye, camouflaged version. I've earmarked this some time ago for the Venezuelanian livery. Not so much because there is a crisis in Venezuela, but because I like multicolor camouflage.

buck1k8juy.jpg

There is not a lot of AM parts around. You see the full selection on top of the box - canopy masks. That's it. The kit itself holds all the resin and PE needed for a decent build.

On the other hand the kit has a few problems of it's own. Overall fit is good, shape is OK, but the floor of the rear cockpit is located too deep inside the fuselage. The rear IP has an antiglare cover like the front IP, but Special Hobby missed that; and there are lacking some other more or less visible cockpit details. The Buckeye also featured a good number of raised rivets in different locations, which the kit is lacking too. We are talking about boiler sized riveds here! Maybe North American accidentally invented there the vortex generators? Who nows... :coolio:

Before cutting styrene I have to to check the references. There are two or three detailed online builds at hand, that tell you how to fix the kits problems, and some walkarounds. I will read them carefully. Also want to try to get a copy of WWPs In detail book about the Buckeye at the Euro Model Expo two weeks ahead. It is sold out, but maybe I am lucky to get a second hand one.

Thats the plan for now. Stay tuned.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

What is in the box?

buck22kka9.jpg

Two fuselage halves, 6 sprues with different parts, two resin seats, some more resin details, two clear sprues (very clear) with the canopy parts and position lights, decals and an instruction booklet. There are rivats at the surfaces, but we will loose some of them during sanding along the seams. They are also a bit tiny in places were the real airframe features very large ans prominent rivets. There are some printed AM rivets available, Archer dry transfers, HGW and Mikro Mark. HGWs are too small. Archers decal film is stiff and does not adhere well. I guess I will give Mikro Mark a try.

Regards

- dutik

Nice ill be watching. 

This is a so ugly its pretty kinda bird. Ive been wanting to get the trainer version. I really like the white and orange scheme. 

Cant wait to see your build

I’ll be watching as well. She’s an underrepresented kits in 32nd. 

T-2 was a very stable and fun aircraft to fly. Not a ton of power, but enough to get maneauvers started. Great vis from the cockpit and spinning her was just a blast. 

Cheers

Collin

Nice choice....I built the 1/48 offering, only issue was the front windshield....lovely details.....always wanted one in 1/48, but never had a chance to buy or build one.....

hope to see see your progress on it....

rgds

Agreed, a very decent kit, of a plane I really like.

My only advice would be to watch the cockpit floor, as its quite off IIRC, and the main sticking point IMHO of the kit which is the multi-part intake trunking. 

Looking forward to progress! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am back from Euro Model Expo (Germany) with a WWP Buckeye book in my hands. WWP had a table there. Now carefully studying the images before starting to cut styrene.

Also took a fistful of photos of the LSP models at the show. Will post them at the "General discussions" the next days.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Have my references ready:

buck4y1kbj.jpg

Started to build the kit. First step was to wash the sprues; they were somewhat greasy. Not very common with SH kits, but this one was greasy. There are a lot of ejector pin marks, both sunken and raised. Even combined ones, with a sunken and a raised half. This kit is really festooned with ejector marks. Take your time to remove them carefully to achieve a good fit of the parts. At the moment attaching the larger parts (intake ducts, flaps and stuff) while waiting for the putty to dry:

buck39bjko.jpg

Regards

- dutik