Revell 1/32 F4U Corsair - DONE!

themongoose

I finished setting up the wing to fuselage attachment today.

Here you can see how I configured the magnets and the tab that keeps the wing from shifting forward. The magnets are neodyneum with a 0.3lb pull strength. It worked with 2 but I could shake it and get the wing to pop off so to be safe (I don't expect it to get shaken but you know how that goes...) I doubled the magnets up.

IMG_5685-XL.jpg

In the back I've made a tab that slips up inside the fuselage. This holds the left/right alignment and presses the two parts together to minimize the joint. Overall this will allow me to make changes to the lighting over time or make repairs if needed.

IMG_5683-L.jpg

The wing gap is nice. You can see a little gap up near the nose. Most will be covered by the cowl. Regardless, without glue there will always be a join there. I may work to see if I can get it to close up some more as in the detail picture above under magnification I can see one of the magnets looks crooked.

IMG_5682-L.jpg

Tomorrow I start painting!

Making progress again. All the main parts are mottled and ready for a final coat. I may do some light sanding before that s there is some fine dust I see in the pics that I may be  able to clean up some. 

here is the 1st marble coat of dark ghost gray(DGG).

IMG_5690-XL.jpg

IMG_5691-XL.jpg

Next was what I call DGG+1, this mix has 10% black added to it. And the last mottle coat is Hull Red thinned 70%.

IMG_5696-XL.jpg

Then to blend it together before the top coat I sprayed it all down with Grimey Black (similar to NATO black).

IMG_5699-XL.jpg

I was a little worried I didn't cover enough black and that the colors would show up more like pre-shaded panel lines and look bad so I did a test shot on the tail. Her's a horizontal stabilizer using one as a "before" and one as a "after" shot.

IMG_5700-XL.jpg

And this one shows the Navy Sea Blue, FS15042, top coat in better light...

IMG_5704-XL.jpg

Going to continue on this tonight I hope. Who knows, maybe I'll be working on decals this weekend!

Finished with a Satin Clear. I was thinking that sheen would look more realistic. I've continued to work on my airbrush technique. Instead of spraying in long strokes I did smaller areas and built up the paint slowly. I managed to do all this in 2 coats doing it that way. It's taken me awhile to get the airbrush technique down. My other work with dark colors has come out somewhat splotchy I think, not a uniform color across surfaces. This is much better. It's still a bit hard to capture the fading that I did with the black basing but you can see some in the pics. Later I'll try to take better pictures and see if I can capture it better. The positive thing about it is that the fading is reserved and doesn't look overdone. In regular light it shows up really well so I'm sure I can get better pictures.

IMG_5708-L.jpg

IMG_5710-L.jpg

IMG_5711-L.jpg

IMG_5709-XL.jpg

Thanks Tom! I have to tell you the fit was really good on this one. Almost none of my rivets got sanded off in the process...a few are smaller than when they started tho ;)

i’m Working on taking some better pics and finishing up the canopy. Here’s a couple where i was able to use a tripod and adjust iso and shutter speed...i think you guys can see the weathering better with these.

7EB61C2D-6F48-42B4-A4B7-AACD8E5A1F73-L.j

A1188958-37DC-47C8-8029-D510A5A08F16-L.j

She's all done except for the decals...although after looking at the pics I may still do some touchups LOL don't we all do that! I left the canopy frame ZC but I think it needs to change. Going to look up some pics of them in flight with the canopy open to see what it should be. Way too stark in the pics below. Will have to do some work on the way I have it mounted. It wants to roll left [sn0ps]

Now there's no prop on her yet. Until I get the decals on I don't want to risk messing it up. Also will see if the short video of the Magic Scale Modeling lights, sound, and engine will link up as well.

IMG_5738-L.jpg

You gotta love this dopey pilot that came with the plane! I cleaned him up alot but there just didn't seem to be much more I could do with him.

IMG_5758-L.jpg

IMG_5757-L.jpg

If you click on this one it takes you to Smugmug and you can play the video...at least it worked that way for me. Let me know if it doesn't work.

IMG_5739-M.jpg

Edited by themongoose
added note for video

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday and Today I’m working on the markings. I found VF653 in 1/32 scale from Draw Decals. It’s a special restored plane so Cleland's markings were only on 1 side and another ace was on the other. So what I’ve done is scan the decals and then print them out on my Maketar Mask paper. I found a close match to the navy font and added that to Word so I could print out a full set of numbers. Scaled everything to match the decal sheet and printed them out. I only have an inkjet printer so I have to print on the backside of the mask, that’s the dull side and the ink doesn’t rub iff. For lettering that means you have to mirror them because your printing on the back and cutting on the front. If it sounds confusing, it is and i had to do it twice to get the mirror right ;-)

IMG_5960-L.jpg

going to finish covering everything up after lunch. Hopefully by dinner she’s in her best dress!

Edited by themongoose
Haha i mirrored the squadron number when I typed it out

Woohoo this ranks as one of my best ever! It’s a good thing to because Uncle Dennis is an artist and I’m putting pressure on myself to make it worthy :bow:

IMG_5963-L.jpg

i took 3600 grit sanding sponge across all the markings in the direction of airflow. That was just enough to knock down the edge that was created by the tape and give them just a touch of wear. Lastly a satin clear and here you go...

IMG_5964-L.jpg

I had nearly zero leakage under the Maketar masks so thrilled with that too. Tomorrow I want to do some exhaust staing, finish the canopy, and add the long pitot on the wing to finish it up. Then put some trim on the base and I’m ready for the model club show on Monday and presentation to my Uncle on Tuesday.

G'day Chris,

Only just found this thread - love what you are doing! It's great seeing these old kits getting some love.....

Just a quick question about your electronics. I watched your video and it seems you have sound too? Where did you get the package from?

Cheers,

Craig

Hey Craig thanks! The package I got is from Magic Scale Modeling. I ran across them at a show in London a few years ago. They are from Belgium. Lots oof different options. Check out the link, they make everything plug and play.

Brian, yep these things are great. Have been watching your F-104 build with interest. I started with just some flickering LED’s for my F-4 and have expanded to the full set, similar to your build.

What I’m trying to figure out is how to tone down some of the led’s so they are more realistic. For instance, the wingtip lights outshine the red and blue nav lights on the corsair. In retrospect I think i should have put the led back inside the wing so the light level wasn’t as intense. Like everything we do in modeling it's a learning experience!

Done! Had a last minute change of course. I needed to change how the Corsair was mounted. It was too unstable for me to give it to someone, it would have ended up crashing. Lesson learned on that one as it wanted to do a roll and dive in for an attack. 

Let's start with a realistic prop-blurr!

IMG_6010-L.jpg

An original Revel pilot...still looks a bit like a Russian nesting doll even after all teh surgery I did to him.

IMG_5997-XL.jpg

IMG_5987-L.jpg

IMG_6003-L.jpg

IMG_5994-L.jpg

IMG_5975-L.jpg

IMG_5978-L.jpg

And here's a video of the start-up of the radial engine with the lights and sound coming on in sequence. Click on these next 2 pics to see the videos.

IMG_6004-M.jpg

Here it is running full tilt...

IMG_6006-M.jpg

Ok that's it for this wonderful Father's Day! I have a few updates to make. You may have noticed the missing tail wheel. Originally the mounting rod left there, but with the change to keep it stable it looks rather empty. I may try and get it installed so it looks the part before I take it off to Akron tomorrow. If I do will include some updated pics in the RFI section. Speaking of which I will post pics up within the next couple days depending on how my schedule goes, and whether I tackle an update on this Corsair or not. Until then Happy Modeling all you Dads out there!

Edited by themongoose
Added note on how to see the video.

• themongoose changed the title to Revell 1/32 F4U Corsair - DONE!
On 6/16/2019 at 9:30 AM, themongoose said:

Hey Craig thanks! The package I got is from Magic Scale Modeling. I ran across them at a show in London a few years ago. They are from Belgium. Lots oof different options. Check out the link, they make everything plug and play.

Brian, yep these things are great. Have been watching your F-104 build with interest. I started with just some flickering LED’s for my F-4 and have expanded to the full set, similar to your build.

What I’m trying to figure out is how to tone down some of the led’s so they are more realistic. For instance, the wingtip lights outshine the red and blue nav lights on the corsair. In retrospect I think i should have put the led back inside the wing so the light level wasn’t as intense. Like everything we do in modeling it's a learning experience!

Thanks mate! I'll be sure to check them out. The build looks great!

Craig