T-38A Thunderbird 1/32 In-Flight

themongoose

This beautiful T-38A Thunderbird took a long time and she took a short time. I began a year ago and made good progress through learning to vacuum form a canopy. Then with the pending release of the KittyHawk F-5's I decided to wait it out and gather up some cockpit and clear parts to really make her look sharp. So a year long build timeline with about 4 months of that being actual bench time. The final model is a combination of the Hasegawa F-5E, Belcher Bits F-5A conversion, KittyHawk F-5E/F and some Bondo spot putty! The cockpit and pilot are painted with Vallejo acrylics and the helmet is handpainted. Interior details are scratch built in combination with the Hasegawa side panels and KH seats. The paint is MCW lacquer 60/40 with MrColor Leveling Thinner, 2 coats of MCW clear thinned as well, and wet-sanded to 12000 grit. She's all show AND go with BMF Chrome on the pitot, wingtips, and exhausts. Those exhaust can corrugated metal liners are birthday tiaras for a kids party lol. The decals are a combination of CamPro from the F-4 Thunderbird set and the KH kit. She is adorned with Archer rivets, doors, and hinges to show off her classic airframe! I scribed all the other elements of the fuselage and airfoil surfaces to match the Daco Book as much as possible. Lastly a big thanks goes out to the Aviation Museum of Kentucky who graciously let me take pictures all around their AT-38B Thunderbird including some great shots of the cockpit. 

IMG_1670-XL.jpgIMG_1664-XL.jpg

IMG_1665-XL.jpg

IMG_1666-XL.jpg

IMG_1662-XL.jpg

IMG_1673-XL.jpg

IMG_1676-XL.jpg

IMG_1659-XL.jpg

IMG_1694-X3.jpg

IMG_1688-X2.jpg

And here's some more detail shots to close out the show. Thanks to everyone who helped me make this the best model I've built to date!

IMG_1683-X2.jpg

IMG_1689-X2.jpg

IMG_1692-X2.jpg

IMG_1697-X2.jpg

IMG_1690-X2.jpg

IMG_1706-X2.jpg

IMG_1653-X3.jpg

IMG_1672-X3.jpg

IMG_1700-X2.jpg

IMG_1651-X2.jpg

If you're intereested in the full WIP you can find it here T-38A Thunderbird

Edited by themongoose
Added WIP link

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Very nice! Hopefully, now that you had to go the hard way somebody will understand that this topic deserves a large scale kit!!!

1 minute ago, Kagemusha said:

Very nice indeed, and as Thierry alluded, your hard work must surely mean a mainstream kit is sure to be released the day after tomorrow.

Im surprised an IM T-38 didnt come out before he was finished!  :lol: