AlanG

Probably a basic 109 Question

I am looking at modelling a Bf-109G-6 /AS Red 2, Flown by Friedrich-Karl Müller (30 victories), 1./NJGr. 10, Aug 1944 using AIMS decal set 3215 and was wondering what the /AS part actually means?

Probably a really basic question but i'm a basic person lol

The AS designation comes from the fact that the airplane was fitted with the Daimler Benz DB605 AS(M) engine, which featured the larger DB603 supercharger.  The engine was optimized for high altitude flying and performance.

As to what the "AS" in the engine designation means, I don't know!

The AS modification was for increased motor performance, especially at high altitude.

If I recall correctly the designation DB605 AS(M) is as follows:

DB 605 A - Motor, was used in the Bf 109G series.

S - Sonder (Special) Supercharger from DB603

M - MW 50 (Methanol/Water 50-50 mix)

There were other designations as well:

DB605 ASB(M) for B4 87 octane fuel + MW 50 (Methanol/Water 50-50 mix)

DB605 ASC(M) for C3 100 octane fuel + MW 50 (Methanol/Water 50-50 mix)

The DB605 D, used in the Bf 109G-10 and K-4 series, had two common variants, too:

DB605 DB - B4 fuel, MW 50 standard equipment

DB605 DC - C3 fuel, MW 50 standard equipment

As Ringleheim stated above the Supercharger is from the DB603, thus Sonder(special) to the 605.

HTH,

D.B.

So to model the G-6/AS i'd have to change the supercharger? Cheers guys

Ok next question. Where can i get the AM supercharger or does the Revell G6 kit come supplied with one?

Posted (edited)

Damn! I really want to do a nightfighter (NJGr or JG300) build to go with all the other ones i am planning. Thanks anyway. Best i keep looking.

P.S. There's an opening for an AM conversion if ever i saw one lol

Edited by AlanG

3 hours ago, AlanG said:

Damn! I really want to do a nightfighter (NJGr or JG300) build to go with all the other ones i am planning. Thanks anyway. Best i keep looking.

There are several actually. Amur makes one IIRC

Cheers Hardcore. I'll try and find it.. In the mean time, i've found a Montex decal set on Hannants of a Bf109 G6/R6 from 3./JG300. Looks like a nice scheme and has the underwing 20mm cannons too. Should be able too do that one from the standard kit.

19 hours ago, AlanG said:

Cheers Hardcore. I'll try and find it.. In the mean time, i've found a Montex decal set on Hannants of a Bf109 G6/R6 from 3./JG300. Looks like a nice scheme and has the underwing 20mm cannons too. Should be able too do that one from the standard kit.

Yellow 4 and yellow 9. Nice schemes

Here's my 2 jg300's

XFp9aPS.jpg

nlPln9e.jpg

Top is trumpeter bottom revell. 

Got both the jg300 books which are excellent for photos profiles and info.

I looked at getting the Trumpeter kits but they were far more expensive then the Revell kits. Those two 109's look fabby! As i mentioned above i'm looking into JG300 and any NJGr related 109's

On 3/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, AlanG said:

You can do a G-6/AS from the Hasegawa G-10.  You'll need to remove the bumps on the lower cowl, use the small wheel bumps on the wing, early wheels, source some G-6 propeller blades and do some minor scribing.  Probably a couple of minor mods that I'm forgetting.  Kyrre did a really nice Bf 109G-5/U2 which is basically a G-6/AS seen here:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/43428-hasegawa-bf109g-5u2-carganicos-last-mickey-mouse/

On 3/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Hardcore said:

There are several actually. Amur makes one IIRC

The AMUR Reaver set is for the Erla G-10 which has a different STBD side cowl fairing than the AS series.

Mikester. Do you know of any company that does a G6 conversion then? Would really like to get the AIMS sheet as it has a few schemes that i have kits for