Color formation lights

Anyone have tips on making teardrop shaped formation lights? Many, many years ago some company was selling sprues of different color ones in styrene and I bought several, but for some reason mine have gone missing.

Sure wish these were available again, even if tinted resin. <BTW, that's a hint.

14 hours ago, Tnarg said:

CMK was selling these in various colors (clear, red, green and blue). Here is a link for the clear ones at Hannants.

Went to the Hannants website and you can't even buy anything from them unless you "register" first. What? 

I'll never understand why some places do that. Imagine going to a store and they won't let you in, being told "Sorry, you can't shop here until you give us all your information first." Then imagine me walking away. :P

I did find them on another website in the US but they want $16 to ship on top of the $13 cost of the item. :doh:

I'll keep looking.

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

Ive seen guys use the epoxy dying method to good effect, and as mentioned on your other thread, I might think dyed Bondic may do the trick. I think in that case it may just be a matter of getting the right shape to it in the end. 

I like Hannants site, and Ive ordered things from them after I got set up, but even after you enroll in their site, they still wont let you buy anything until you hit their minimum non-domestic order amount. I dont remember what it is off-hand, but it was high enough last time I ordered that I havnt been back in a year or two. I also for what ever reason, seem to get slower shipping from Hannants than I do from Lucky Model in China. 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I'm pretty sure they make teardrop shaped ones as well.

There's always food coloring (or Tamiya clear paint) mixed with Microscale Krystal Clear.

Hi Jennings,

First of all, it's good to see you still in the game. I has been quite some time, hasn't it?

I searched the Quickboost site and if they make what I'm looking for they're hiding it somewhere, or they're long gone.

The problem with MKC is that it shrinks. Tinted epoxy is good but it's too thin to build up into a realistic shape. I tried tinting Bondic with artist pigments and although it build up the opaque pigment prevent it from curing. I'll give the Tamiya clear and food coloring a shot but I fear it will thin it out to the point where it can't be built up.

Problem solving makes it all fun.

Take care, buddy!

Woody

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers
Dumb mistake

• 2 months later...

Talking about the shape itself, on some Eduard photo etch sets, there are tear-shaped openings on the frame (here for the Ju 88). A peace of clear styrene can be aheated and quickly pushed on the opening to get a nice teardrop shape.

39faHY8.jpg

For a simple bulb, one just needs a round hole with  the desired diameter on a sheet of metal.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM