1/72 Scratchaeronautics Casa C-295W (Resin kit)

chrish

Following a waffling back and forth between projects, having bumped the dino-girl thing until I can decide on what base I want...post apocalyptic, alternate universe or what...I pulled a few different things out of the stash, fondled...(I mean checked the fit)...of the plastic parts and decided this one needs resin that one needs decals...don't want to build that one just yet, I settled on this resin kit from the same maker (Scratch Aeronautics) of the Casa C235 I posted earlier is the Casa C-295-W. The bigger brother of the 235. This version has turned up winglets, and a longer fuselage and different fit of the engines otherwise it'll be very similar to the 235 that's parked on the shelf right above my head as I sit here typing.
Some pictures... 

the bag o bits

CdDxT5Y.jpg

wings, needing the tips changed to the winglets off to the side

Wsr088t.jpg

opening up the windows and cleaning up the resin a bit

kRypZcq.jpg

the bigger pieces under construction

DvxOMRG.jpg

please bear with me as I try to make this look airplaneish 

Edited by chrish
Text

Thanks Brian

I realize it's not the most popular subject or medium. (resin) It sure bears a familial resemblance to the ATR 42's I see every day at work. That makes it interesting to me...I've ordered the ATR kits too.

nose and flight deck cleaning up.

IA26gwK.jpg

zGa6LTM.jpg

although a (possibly newer?) cleaner and sharper casting than the Casa 235 I built previously it too shares the sloped roof above the wing which should be flat, I'm contemplating methods of getting the roof flattened out...

fGEzcR7.jpg

this kit also has (the 235 didn't) some cargo deck details.

Db5vzQl.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

13 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've done lots of resin kits, and you are right, the medium isn't as popular, but I think you just have to know what you are getting into.

I agree, and having a liking for esoteric aircraft relegates one to vac kits ( I have yet to finish one) and resin kits which I pretend I’m getting better at.

i keep looking at a 1/72 resin 747 kit...now that’d be a large, scale plane.

Thanks

Great paint work on your Chevy too by the way!

i think I’ve gotten my wing centre section straightened out, I cut some reliefs into the upper sides, ran it under scalding hot tap water and bent the roof down in the centre essentially flattening it out. I’ve also drilled holes through the centre section to allow for pass through spar because (well, mostly I forgot on the 235)  The wings are fairly heavy I can see the centre glue seam failing (anybody ever built those early C-130 kits? You’ll know what I mean) without a pass through spar all the weight of the wings is on the glue joint in the fuselage centre section.

back at the bench this afternoon...hopefully progress pics tonight?

A few hours at the bench sees some progress on the 295...

Mating surfaces matched and alignment pins and holes made, painted "nothing to see in here black"

KVi4dJK.jpg

fuselage top now flat as it should be, much force applied here, if the glue ever lets go it'll blow my house apart!

It looks like wide open seams, but they're filled with CA and sanded smooth at this point

HnVhUeO.jpg

wings pinned and test fitted (dry)

qt5kFtG.jpg

EQZK8J4.jpg

Happy with the fit so far, next is the nose and cockpit section.

Thanks for looking in

I agree, it's quite a neat looking aircraft. There was one here in Saskatoon a couple of years ago being demo'd to the airforce. they stored it in the hangar beside our ATR 42's overnight and the familial resemblance was very strong although the 295 was smoother and cleaner in all areas, even the camouflage paint was shiny. It was in Mexican air force markings, we were allowed to walk around and through it while it was here...probably why I had to build one.

I've hit a couple of nasty speed bumps on the 295. The first one was the props, the real deal has scimitar blades, highly efficient and quiet... the kit has banana blades, very very thick thick at the base, some short shot some with bubbles and some warped. I started by sanding a couple of blades to (close) to scale thickness and realized I'd be all week doing that and covered in resin dust. I decided to make my own from sheet styrene. I cleaned up one blade and using that blade as a master to copy and carve out 11 more (and a couple of spares) That done, I began fitting cargo doors. The real plane has double doors like a Hercules, one opens up into the tail the other down and forms a ramp. If I'd built it with the doors open and the interior in place I'd have had much less trouble, the doors are deformed in X,Y and Z axis's I used CA and plastic strips to fill gaps and plug holes. Not the end of the world by any stretch but added a bit of time to my journey.

the plastic props (white) still needing a twist to look more like prop. blades

jHWlO4j.jpg

the rear cargo doors

rF9QXDs.jpg

filled and sanded smooth, needing re-scribing yet

l7mGK4w.jpg

mostly faired in and getting ready to fit the vertical stab.

l17jxwQ.jpg

after making prop blades (wrapped them around a drill bit to induce an airfoil shape) I figured I'm deep enough I might as well make the flap actuators as well. I sanded one resin flap actuator flat on one side and pinned it to a strip of .015" styrene copied the shape...8 times, for the necessary  number of actuators. As well, the model is quite heavy and only going to get worse as I add lead to keep it on it's nose wheel.

I noticed early on when going over the kit parts that the axles on one side's main gear were short shot and missing but I'd planned on replacing them with brass rod anyway. The nose gear oleo was also under suspicion...with good reason it turns out.

the nose gear parts, bubble intrusion in the casting led to structural failure 

V6EOTEV.jpg

scratching together a new nose oleo of brass and aluminum

fSAh7CY.jpg

plastic props with a bit of twist from bending around a drill bit

t9XLMBd.jpg

plastic flap actuators

2IoxmtR.jpg

I spent all (well, a lot of) my allotted  hobby time today fitting the flight deck to the forward fuselage component and then tried making new horizontal stabs. I also got the nose wheel bay boxed in. I think I can start gluing components together again...maybe

The nose gear bay

1nuZLAv.jpg

resin stab. plastic stab. and rough cut stab. still needing sanding smooth

u9MzoAD.jpg

the resin parts top, plastic ones below ready for use 

DuWuS0M.jpg