Revell Bug

Mark M

thanks guys

sorry for the lack of updates, ive been involved in doing a display for Newark Air Museum (UK) for the 50th Aniversary of the Harrier, so between building Harriers and actually attending and doing the display the Bug has not been touched 

anyone interested in the harrier models there are some photos HERE

ive got a few things to finish then she will be back on the bench, later this week

I've gone through the thread.....many times, have to say, this is a kit that's a "Battle in a Box". I've run into issues at identical spots, lots of work to sort things out!! Looking forward to seeing paint and decals on the build. Are you planning on any weapons?

Don

Edited by dmthamade

• 2 weeks later...

guys im sorry to say this is on hold, not becasue of the kit but because of a few personal issues at home

i WILL finish this but i dont know when im going to be able to do ANY modelling properly for a while, i really cant talk about it at the moment as its too emotional but ill be back at some point

Sorry

• 5 months later...

Well I’ve just read your topic Mark as I happen to be building the kit too. I gotta say I have encountered every problem you have and I’m reassured that it’s not just me!

but as has been said your family comes first and I look forward to your return to tackle this beast when you’re ready!

• 3 weeks later...

Rear half of the fuselage built - with annoying gaps aplenty and much use of superglue clamps tape and swear words.  Now to start the cockpit section - whether it will  fit to the rear remains to be seen.  Has to be one of the worst fitting/ engineered 'modern' kits out there and yet you can see how close it was to be brilliant... 

• 5 months later...
On 4/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, Mark M said:

guys im sorry to say this is on hold

I know I am late to the party, I hope everything is ok, family first, models second. In my case it's more like 82nd, as in the two years I have been trying to make a return to modeling, only little progress has been made. Each time I try to work on a kit, I find I don't have the right tools or supplies, so I have to order them on evilbay and hope they arrive. Since I live in the Philippines with little support for the art, I have to order everything from abroad. Shipping and customs makes this really painful in the wallet, which has more pickers than givers, sadly.

Anyway, I have always been a huge fan of the F-18, and was excited to see the big boys roll out. The E, F and G are nothing like their little siblings.

Since I am aging fast, I hoped to go big scale, easier on the eyes and fat sausage fingers I have, but it is cost prohibitive. Seeing a large kit, in new tooling with this bad fit problems, breaks my heart. We pay too much money for these kits as it is. With today's glorious aftermarket of resin and PE, investment can grow exponentially. It's a shame that someone has to bite the bullet and be the first to find these flaws, I feel for you on this regard as well. Shame too, this could have been a great kit, and like others, I am baffled by this mess of a kit.

I have guessed that new kits are built in CAD, then those specifications are sent directly to a mold machine, and either created via CNC machine, or some other magical software to hardware system, with very low tolerances to create clean mold? If that is the case, the RoG needs to fire their software design team, this just should not happen anymore.

It has scared me to a point, I will be much more careful when selecting a new kit. I haven't built a full kit since the late 80's, with all the new mediums out there, this has become much more of an art than the days I was churning them out. Back then, they cost between and twenty-five dollars for the larger, more refined vendors available at that time. Hasegawa and Tamiya were considered elite in my hometown area. We didn't have the internet or forums, so it was pretty much a self taught hobby. You can learn some things from the store staff, but that was about it. If there were magazines, which I am certain they had plenty, when you were as poor as I was, that was a luxury I could not afford.

In my quest to return to model building, I found forums, website that had the Intel on the latest offerings, more over and endless stream of tutorials and advice. What I thought was a dying hobby has seemingly had a resurgence and a revolution as well. The hobby has become art, on these sites are true artists. I want to be like you guys, but I know the challenge is an uphill climb, and if I don't set realistic goals and be cautious, I will become discouraged by the failures that follow.

It's supposed to be fun, this kit looks anything but fun. I hope you do finish her though, your hard work is paying off, at least to my untrained eye. You have overcome hurdles that would have turned me off, a long time ago.

Anyway, when you feel the time is right to continue, you will be waiting and hoping for a good outcome, you have done wonders with a turd so far!

Cheers,

Anthony

41 minutes ago, chrish said:

welcome aboard Anthony!

Thanks!

Let me also say that, without a doubt, these boards have changed my outlook of the internet forums, which were alien to me just two years ago. Every single board I have joined, has been nothing but a positive reception by the members (excluding one event in my early days, which I am mostly to blame). I am in awe of the craftsmanship and artistry of the hobby. In fact, calling it a hobby seems almost demeaning to the work I have seen. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the art, as I now call it, would be thriving in such a big way. Again, as a kit and young adult, I really thought the modeling world was in the last throws before fading away. Stores locally vanished, and this was long before the internet. I had to travel great distances to find what I needed, before life got in the way and I fell dormant for decades. I am back, but still trying to accumulate the tools and supplies required. I may never produce the fine art I see regularly on these forums, but as long as it's good enough for me, I will be happy. I culled my expectations for the early builds, as I am learning all over again, I fully expect to see a few kits become the victims of some well placed fireworks, I live in Asia, they are abundant here.

Anyway, thanks for the warm greeting during these trying times, we will get past this together and be stronger on the other side of this pesky little virus.

Big scale has always been my dream, and now, with patience and sound monetary skills, it is within my grasp, I can wait to dive into the thousands of RFI's for inspiration!

Cheers,

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...