Tamiya F-16C conversion to F-16A

Durangokid

Great save!!   I think your idea is the best one to get it as close to the way it was before as possible: dip the whole thing in Future again, let dry for multiple days/a week or more, then mask (with a DIFFERENT tape of course!) and shoot some flat over the frames. 

So I was gonna do the future dip but I thought I would try Tamiya's polishes first.  It worked really well, good enough where I don't wan't to go through the hassle of the future dip.  I'm being a bit lazy but I'm so close to the end I can taste it.

Here it is with the frames touched up.

plOdGlDvj

I also completed a few more tasks including the exhaust ring.  I first painted a heavy coat of Alclad Aluminum before adding a light coat of Alclad gold titanium.  I was trying to get that light goldish shade these have.  I used 12,000 grit sanding sheet to lightly remove the gold tint for that worn look.  Lastly I painted Mr Color clear blue.  I ended up sanding the blue a bit since I thought it looked a little to heavy.  It's a bit bright and may need to be toned down a bit, I can't make up my mind on that one.  My camera, or most likely the lens, washes out the photos.  It's difficult to capture the detail that I can see in person.

po0kou6Yj

pna9mXeZj

pnYzuHhIj

Here is a few photos of things coming together...

poqnGWZcj

pnEW4JMOj

popiiFUjj

plmJD0U1j

po0GU1o8j

plLnhY4pj

Thanks for stopping by fellas, almost done!

Bryan

I'm really getting down to the last little pesky things.  I actually like putting a lot of effort into weapons but I'm getting in a hurry to start my new AH-1Z.  So I took a day to focus on just the weapons so I can do them some justice. 

I had a AMS Tacts pod but my copy was badly warped.  I tried to straighten it out but I just kept making it worse.  The front probes that come with the kit were in perfect condition so I figured I would just make the body part.  I couldn't find a tube that would work, they were either too big or too small, but I finally found a sprue gate from my Academy Hornet kit that was the perfect size.  I cut thin strips of plastic, wrapped them around the body and glued them in place with a tiny about of extra thin to represent the metal bands that go around the body.  When they dried i cut the strip ends and drilled tiny holes for the rivets.  After the body was done I glued the AMS tip on which fit perfectly.  I was dreading trying to do this but it came out fairly nice and it wasn't that difficult at all. 

pos5OQiKj

pn7tFAfwj

After paint:

riNC7y.jpg

Here it is with the AMS body and my finished one.  I'm not knocking AMS, i love his stuff, mine just got warped somehow.

plrm4aYvj

This ALQ-167 pod is from Wolfpack if I remember correctly.  It's fairly nice but doesn't come with decals so I cobbled a few together from other kits.  Most of the ones I've seen on these jets are nice and shiny with little decals anyway.  I painted it with Mr. Color blue lightened with white.

pnta5ME4j

Here is the fantastic Zacto Aim-9m.  I can't say enough about this sidewinder, it is hands down the best I have seen.  It doesn't come with decals but I have a bunch of those lying around.

plIewkhnj

Here is the final load out:

plbVxUeCj

Some more small details.  The light that goes on top of the tail is different on the A version.  Luckily the tab underneath Tamiya's light looks the part so I just turned it over, cleaned it up and removed the other side.  Easy peasy...

pl2k5NhZj

pnL7Ninmj\

Added the GPS...

plFtDZEbj

Man I am so close to being done!

Bryan

Absolutely superb. :goodjob:    Your canopy looks fine.  I've tried dipping a canopy in Future twice, both times it went disastrously wrong.  I just polish my canopies, looks just as good and far less hassle.