Tamiya F-16C conversion to F-16A

Durangokid

Love your work, Bryan.   The F-16 is my favourite fast-jet and I really like the way you're detailing many of the kit parts, rather than simply shoe-horning aftermarket resin accessories into it.   Have to ask you - is that the KASL exhaust you're using or have you tweaked the kit parts?    Also really good to see Mike Reed chime in - I'm also a big fan of his F-16 projects on Zone-Five. 

8 hours ago, Grissom said:

Love your work, Bryan.   The F-16 is my favourite fast-jet and I really like the way you're detailing many of the kit parts, rather than simply shoe-horning aftermarket resin accessories into it.   Have to ask you - is that the KASL exhaust you're using or have you tweaked the kit parts?    Also really good to see Mike Reed chime in - I'm also a big fan of his F-16 projects on Zone-Five. 

Thanks Grissom!  That's actually the kit exhaust.  The only thing I did was to slightly thin the very end of the pedals, otherwise it's all stock.  Tamiya did a nice job, too bad they stopped making the thunderbirds version.  

It was nice to hear from Mike, now he just needs to build us something. :whistle:

40 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

Hey Bryan, apologies for the late-in-the-game interjection. I know that can be super irritating, thought you were still tinkering around. You could just introduce some hard line demarcation here and there.

Anyhow, digging the model all round!

Marcel

Hey Marcel, I was totally kidding.  Hope it came across otherwise.  I always appreciate you input... :thumbsup:

Bryan,

You've done an amazing job on the exhaust.   I can't believe it's all Tamiya - not wishing to denigrate the brand!   I've just bought a KASL exhaust for a future project and now I'm wondering why I bothered - even though it is a beautifully cast facsimile of the P&W exhaust.  Funny enough, you don't see many Tamiya 1/32 F-16's built with the P&W exhaust. 

I hate it when I get down to the last few things to do and have a mini disaster.  I don't know what happened with the canopy but the tamiya tape fused itself to the surface.  I've used the tape cutouts with the kit before and this never happened so I'm at a loss.  I did future my canopy as I always do but it had been drying for at least a month before I applied the tape.  I used regular tamiya tape to cover the areas not covered by the cutouts and it came off just fine.  I tried using Goo Gone but that did little to help not to mention it started removing paint with all the scrubbing.  Oh well, not that big of a deal as I have other canopies or I can attempt to salvage this one.  The only bad thing is matching the paint since I mixed colors to get the shade I wanted.  Either way I hope to get it close to the original paint.

I've also applied a flat coat and did some more weathering.  I was able to get the exhaust toned down but I'm still not crazy about it.  Nothing to make me want to start over though...

poVIIvuMj

plbBZMGRj

Toned down the exhaust.

plK937ZLj

pmQyCeasj

My camera skills leave a lot to be desired and these images seem washed out a bit.  The weathering doesn't show up as it looks in person.

pma7dZuBj

por2vCq1j

pncb9xKkj

pmIMOtjWj

plTp2ITNj

pmdCbAtBj

So not a whole lot left to do but I'm off to Texas for a week so it will have to wait!

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas!

Bryan

Nice work, Bryan! Shame about the canopy. Depending on what you've painted the frames with, you may be able to soak it in some Windex. It won't touch enamel or lacquer paints, but will strip alcohol-based acrylics like Tamiya and Gunze. It will also remove your Future coat quite nicely. Still might be easier than having to find a new canopy.

Kev

I actually did this same plane in the same scale a couple years ago so its nice to see someone else take a crack at it too.  I might have some extra Tamiya F-16 cockpits if you need one.  Tamiya also has great customer service and sell replacement sprues and parts at reasonable prices too if you needed to go that route.  Send me a PM if you'd like a canopy and i'll send it free of charge.

Bryan i had that happen to me on my last build as well. I asked a couple of the guys at my local club who are experts about it and they said theydnever seen it. I stripped the canopy with windex. I used the yellow tape from the home depot instead and some kubuki mask i have with no problem. I figure either tamiya or Future has changed. I’m betting the future as my bottle is new and guys with old stock have never seen this happen.

by the by, I’m pretty sure i have a clear tamiya canopy left from my Thunderbird so if you need one let me know.

chris

Hey guys I'm back from Texas so I'm getting back to work on this.  Big thank you to everyone's idea's and offers of replacement canopies.  That's one of the things I really like about this forum, we are like a team here always helping each other out.  That says a lot about out modeling community!

So I was going to strip down the canopy with leveling thinner which I knew wouldn't damage the clear part but would totally strip the paint.  I figured I could at least try to salvage it before going to the back up which would require my long sanding process.  I took everyone's advice and let it soak in windex and with a lot of elbow grease, I was able to get nearly all of the tape off.  However, no matter how much I scrubbed I couldn't get some last remaining residue off.  So I took a q-tip dipped in goo gone and carefully rubbed the residue while being careful not to touch the painted areas.  It worked like a charm and everything came right off.  The good part is the windex didn't take off any of the paint like the goo gone started to do.  There are a few areas to touch up where the goo gone took off the paint on the first try.  The canopy isn't as nice as it was before so I may dip it in future and then flat coat the frame after it dries.  I put a lot of effort sanding my canopies so it's kind of a bummer it doesn't look as good as before but at least I don't have to try and match the paint.  

Anyway here are the after photos of the canopy;

poMErPh3j

pomr9iu2j

I painted the wheels and finished up the main landing gear...

pnKhc5Shj

pnCPP4ltj

plzyfYGoj

plxxBPtbj

pnemQxqoj

Thanks again for all the suggestions and special thanks to dsahling1 and Chris for the replacement canopy offer!

Bryan