Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

I perceive those aircraft as relating negatively to a sense of Japanese nationalism and Japanese pride.  Especially as to the P-40B, has any Japanese company ever tooled one?   

Well, they've done the Corsair, Thunderbolt, Wildcat and Mustang, and all of those contributed to shooting down hundreds of Japanese planes, so I don't really see the connection.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Well, they've done the Corsair, Thunderbolt, Wildcat and Mustang, and all of those contributed to shooting down hundreds of Japanese planes, so I don't really see the connection.

I hope I adequately emphasized my perception and opinion.  It is just a supposition that I have held for some time.  In any event it is not about how many planes were shot down.  The P-40B and Flying Tigers were the first to take a big psychological jab at the Japanese. The P-38G is massively important as it was used to shoot down Yamamoto.  To contrast not doing the P-38G, Tamiya tooled a 1/48 tribute Betty that celebrated Yamamoto departing on his last flight.  The Hellcat I am not as convinced of but I think it seems to fit in my theory.  

In 1/48 Scale Tamiya has tooled a lot of aircraft that were not as desirable as the P-40B, the P-38 and the Hellcat.  They are not ignorant of these planes.  I think they have tooled 8 or 9 versions of the Corsair in three different scales.  They have done the Wildcat once or twice.  Beyond that though their efforts at Pacific Theater Allied Aircraft have been pretty nominal.  Why do the Brewster Buffalo over the p-40B?  I have never read anything good about the Buffalo except that the Fins made good use of it.  

I apologize, in the 1980's as a Teenager when others were discovering certain magazines, I was still drooling over the Tamiya Catalog.  

So yes I do believe that Tamiya has purposefully steered clear of certain aircraft.  

Edited by cbk57

Sounds convincing to me, although the P-38 shot down Allied aircraft as well. A very trigger happy bunch. 

Wonder if Hasegawa will do any more 1/32 props?  Its recent Zero is quite spectacular, as are most of the Japanese aircraft in that range. 

Tony 

3 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Sounds convincing to me, although the P-38 shot down Allied aircraft as well. A very trigger happy bunch. 

Wonder if Hasegawa will do any more 1/32 props?  Its recent Zero is quite spectacular, as are most of the Japanese aircraft in that range. 

Tony 

Tony I hope you are right, but Hasegawa have went really left field, their big new releases at Nuremberg were a Tractor and a Firetruck.  To my sense Hasegawa have went really weird interspersed with the odd logical choice.  I suspect what that really means they have went hard core home market.  However home market is wide open for Japanese WWII fighters.  

Tamiya did make a USS Hornet, configured with B25s for the Doolittle raid, didn’t it?  That was quite a psychological blow to Japan as I recall.

And more recently a USS Indianapolis, which carried an interesting air to ground weapon to Tinian.

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

OK , what is it ?  No secrets among friends ...

DQ6oZpJ.png

Well... All I can say is that it is not a LSP. I am designing an injection-moulded model in scales 1/72 and 1/48. Each model has to be done separately. Very few parts can be simply "scaled". 

Radu

On 3/11/2019 at 11:29 PM, Juggernut said:

A Lightning eh?  We'll just have to wait and see....  They did a Mosquito, why not a P-38 (I hope they do a J and not the L IF they do one at all).

On 3/12/2019 at 12:00 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

A Tamiya 1/32 P-38 does set the mind reeling, doesn't it?  Yummy!  F-5E anyone?

Ooh yes, sounds good.  Add to that a droop-snoot and my P-38-related happiness would be complete

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

... Still would like to see a bubble top Griffon Spitfire ...

Tony 

On second thoughts forget the P-38s, I'll take these.  I say "these" because we are talking a high-back XIVc and a low-back FR XIVe, aren't we?  Ideally a PR XIX as well, but one of those would be do-able from a high-back XIV, as would an XVIII from a XIVe.

Guest Vincent

It will either be a P47 or a Me109G6. And i'd say both will eventually come out

The P47 because the engine already exists in the Corsair and because they studied that airframe extensively when releasing the 1/72 and 1/48 kits

The Me109G6 because ... i can't tell ... but you guys surely have an idea why as their kits are based on the surviving finnish aircrafts

1 hour ago, alaninaustria said:

I heard a rumor earlier from a colleague who was at the Nuernberg Toy Fair that Tamiya *might* have a 1/32 scale Me-109 up their sleeve... time will tell, if this is true or not.

Cheers

Alan

I find this logical and realistic.  I think the 109G is one of a handful of likely possibilities, personally I think it the most realistic and likely at the moment.  I don’t say this from a perspective of wishing they would release a 109G, just that they have been focusing on the 109G lately and this would be a logical next step.  This kit makes economic sense and they have a baseline with their 1/48 kit to take another step up in detail and fidelity.