Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

12 minutes ago, oyoy5 said:

Bf 110G-4

That’s an interesting selection.   Plenty of variants to get the most out of the tooling and the -110 hasn’t yet been done to a high standard.    I still think they’d make a killing on a new tool F-86 series but what do I know?

2 minutes ago, John1 said:

That’s an interesting selection.   Plenty of variants to get the most out of the tooling and the -110 hasn’t yet been done to a high standard.    I still think they’d make a killing on a new tool F-86 series but what do I know?

The Dragon Bf 110 is actually a great kit, at least as far as I'm concerned. A Tamiya 1:32 F-86? I'd be all over that like a dog on a pork chop.

12 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

To save you time: Tamiya won’t bring out something obscure despite people’s wishes. They will release what they want when they want. There are no rumours and no releases on the horizon. The conversation is about ‘what I would like Tamiya to bring out or what they might bring out.’ 

That is correct: Tamiya do occasionally throw a curve ball (at least in 1/48) but they tend to stick to ‘icons’ when it comes to 1/32. They are a funny bunch in a way; their 1/24 car range features solid gold classics like the VW Beetle, Austin Mini, and Jaguar MkII then they go and do a Citroen 2CV Fourgonette (which I love for its quirkiness). In 1/48 aircraft they have all the WWII ‘stars’ one would expect: the obligatory Bf109 E, the Spitfire Mk1a, the P51 Mustang in B and D guises, the Fw190 in a variety of marks but then will throw in the Fairey Swordfish Floatplane or the Dornier 335 A12 Trainer. I would imagine that if we were to look for what they will do next in 1/32 it will only come from what already exists in the 1/48 range. 

So, following that logic, I’d like a Stringbag floatplane please Tamiya-san. :coolio:

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

That is correct: Tamiya do occasionally throw a curve ball (at least in 1/48) but they tend to stick to ‘icons’ when it comes to 1/32. They are a funny bunch in a way; their 1/24 car range features solid gold classics like the VW Beetle, Austin Mini, and Jaguar MkII then they go and do a Citroen 2CV Fourgonette (which I love for its quirkiness). In 1/48 aircraft they have all the WWII ‘stars’ one would expect: the obligatory Bf109 E, the Spitfire Mk1a, the P51 Mustang in B and D guises, the Fw190 in a variety of marks but then will throw in the Fairey Swordfish Floatplane or the Dornier 335 A12 Trainer. I would imagine that if we were to look for what they will do next in 1/32 it will only come from what already exists in the 1/48 range. 

So, following that logic, I’d like a Stringbag floatplane please Tamiya-san. :coolio:

Yes if this is in the 1/32 section and that’s what we’re talking about then an upscale of their 109s or do a 190 is a safe bet. I’d say a 262 or P38 is more likely than a stringbag, unfortunately.

As this topic is not just about 1/32 aircraft  (so should be in general section now) Its just as likely they’ll do a de-scale a  Mustang and late Spitfire to 1/48 or 1/72) Following the lead from the Zero. ( But their 48 zero was old and needed re doing, and it is a Japanese icon) 
As suggested doing various versions of current kits is the low- hanging fruit to get them through.

I think Hasegawa has a lot of the Japanese 1/32  items covered and Italian and Russian subjects might not have a big enough market appeal as recognisable US, UK and German subjects but this is just a guess. 

So it’s over to Eastern Europe for now...maybe rumours from there is worth a thread?

Edited by Pup7309

8 minutes ago, DonH said:

Here's a rumour. Tamiya will NOT release anything else in 1/32 for the next three years. 

Every time I start a rumour, it's wrong. So here's hoping.

Yes, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you've completely blown it here.

Tamiya, usually caters to their home market first. That being said, I would venture to say that a F6F Hellcat might be in the cards, followed by a P-38. In the case of the P-38  the research has already been done. 

5 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Yes if this is in the 1/32 section and that’s what we’re talking about then an upscale of their 109s or do a 190 is a safe bet. I’d say a 262 or P38 is more likely than a stringbag, unfortunately.

As this topic is not just about 1/32 aircraft  (so should be in general section now) Its just as likely they’ll do a de-scale a  Mustang and late Spitfire to 1/48 or 1/72) Following the lead from the Zero. ( But their 48 zero was old and needed re doing, and it is a Japanese icon) 
As suggested doing various versions of current kits is the low- hanging fruit to get them through.

I think Hasegawa has a lot of the Japanese 1/32  items covered and Italian and Russian subjects might not have a big enough market appeal as recognisable US, UK and German subjects but this is just a guess. 

So it’s over to Eastern Europe for now...maybe rumours from there is worth a thread?

Entirely agreed on what, if anything, Tamiya may do next. A 1/32 Swordfish floatplane was a joke suggestion from me and is about as likely as a 1/32 injection molded Gotha UWG ( oh wait a minute...).  

I only quoted what Tamiya do with their other ranges as illustration; not to pull the topic away from 1/32 aircraft.  Tamiya, when it comes to 1/32 aircraft, are about as conservative a company as we are ever likely to see. I am glad however of everything they have put out in this scale. Apologies if you felt I was generalizing the thread. 

Edited by Archimedes
Punctuation error

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

To be fair, that’s how these threads always go.  Even in a thread about Tamiya actually announcing a kit of X, there will be people saying they should have released a kit of Y instead.

You're quite right - I think the OP should have started a thread about Airfix rumours...

Richard

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Entirely agreed on what, if anything, Tamiya may do next. A 1/32 Swordfish floatplane was a joke suggestion from me and is about as likely as a 1/32 injection molded Gotha UWG ( oh wait a minute...).  

I only quoted what Tamiya do with their other ranges as illustration; not to pull the topic away from 1/32 aircraft.  Tamiya, when it comes to 1/32 aircraft, are about as conservative a company as we are ever likely to see. I am glad however of everything they have put out in this scale. Apologies if you felt I was generalizing the thread. 

Hey no worries I wasn’t thinking of your response re general stuff actually others. Actually 1/48 space wise is more my scale for ww2 so I’m happy to hear about that as well.
Also wasn’t sure if you were joking or not about Stringbag, didn’t want to offend. I like biplanes but won’t be getting this one (came in clear plastic too-?)
Yes they usually stick to the tried and true but set the benchmark standards, so a thread for Tamiya is more than justified.

Whatever they bring out will be superb. I know it’s a boring choice but I’d be happy to see a Fw190 or 109e. But a Japanese fighter or something like a Machi 202 (won’t happen) would be good too.

Maybe a 110, Stuka, Wildcat or Tomahawk. Id say most likely a 109g as they’ve done the research.

Edited by Pup7309

The almost nonexistent output of 1/32 jets is why many of us want Tamiya to revisit the F-4, F-16 etc with a few bits for different Blocks or eras. I have no hope of a new kit per se, but would like re-pops with a few new bits and markings. 

If I ever actually build a WW2 single engine piston fighter ever again in this life (and I have fourteen such 1/32 kits in the stash, only one of them Tamiya), it'll likely be in 1/24. I quite fancy the extra heft and the detail is exquisite. More interested in what Airfix and Trumpeter might do. 

Tony