Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I hope the F-51 is a signal the no more 1/32 is wrong.  I have read the discussion, I believe that arises from a statement they made that 1/48 is far more cost effective as they can do several releases for the cost of a single 1/32 release.  While the F-51 is mostly an existing tool, they did go to the expense of adding new tooling and everything else that goes with it to do the f-51 and bring it to market.  So I think there is still interest in 1/32, just they are doing less of it.  We got a number of them in fairly close order when you look at the time laps starting with the Spitfire and ending with the Mosquito.  We could see them come just farther between.  

I really don’t think we will be getting another 1/12 F-1 all new but it is big has wings and I can wish for one in my opinion on this thread.  I want a MP4-4 personally.  They would do well with that car.

Right. There are those that contend that Tamiya made very little real effort to update the Mustang kit, and therefore have no further interest in 1:32 stuff, yet I maintain that to do any work at all to release another variant, means that sales of the earlier kit(s) were sufficient to warrant further investment, no matter how minor.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, cbk57 said:

That is not really correct, .

It is really correct.  'Ive' never seen their 1/32 a/c models pre-announced. 

Doesn't mean they weren't . There's a lot of things I've never seen.  

KgHJiGY.jpg?1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:52 PM, RLWP said:

I can confirm this. In fact it will be a BF 109E-3, 'cos I just bought an Eduard one

Richard

That's so true. However it didn't worked for me with the F4u-4 Corsair: I bought the old crappy Trumpeter kit, I am still waiting for Tamyia's one (I think I will wait  forever on this one, it will never come).

Oh well.... I guess that's the exception that confirms the rule and I ended up building the trumpy kit....:wacko::fight:

Edited by discus

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

KgHJiGY.jpg?1

I think if you take a look preview cads were published in Tamiya Model Magazine April or May issue which came out ahead of the show.  Also I know the Corsair leaked on a list of coming models from Tamiya prior to the show announcement.  I remember by the Time of the Show we knew on the Corsair what the cockpit was like, my big question was whether the landing gear was going to be possible like the Mustang and Spitfire.  You may not have seen it, but the information was out there.  You might be able to find the threads on this very site discussing the new announcements.  The Mustang and Spitfire were both originally released at Shizuoka in May so just find the year and look at the posts from that time.  The thread should be searchable.    Tamiya does short term release key kit news in advance because it wants the publicity.  They do not do that with every kit, some are still a complete surprise. I follow every kit release as I am interested in a lot more subjects than 1/32 planes.

15 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

KgHJiGY.jpg?1

Probably better than effing Tourettes. 

Tony

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

If only they would listen to our wants and wishes.

Well, unfortunately wishing isn't going to change Tamiya's market focus. 

If you looked at the 2020 releases that LSP_K2 posted, Tamiya is releasing 50 new products. 44 of them are RC cars and mini 4WDs for kids.

The remaining 6 of those 50 slots are for plastic models. 4 of those models are cars and 2 are 1/35 armor. Not even a single 1/48 plane.

With that kind of intense market focus I really doubt that Tamiya will even expand in 1/48 let alone bring out new kits in 1/32. If ever they do bring out something new, it will be an iconic fighter with wide appeal. But realistically it will be a rare occurrence at best. 

6 minutes ago, Basta said:

Well, unfortunately wishing isn't going to change Tamiya's market focus. 

If you looked at the 2020 releases that LSP_K2 posted, Tamiya is releasing 50 new products. 44 of them are RC cars and mini 4WDs for kids.

The remaining 6 of those 50 slots are for plastic models. 4 of those models are cars and 2 are 1/35 armor. Not even a single 1/48 plane.

With that kind of intense market focus I really doubt that Tamiya will even expand in 1/48 let alone bring out new kits in 1/32. If ever they do bring out something new, it will be an iconic fighter with wide appeal. But realistically it will be a rare occurrence at best. 

I agree with you but it makes me wonder why they spent so much money developing better molding technology for plastic models if it's not a big profit making venture. The kits they have put out over the last few years are second to none and that's not cheap to produce.

20 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

I agree with you but it makes me wonder why they spent so much money developing better molding technology for plastic models if it's not a big profit making venture. The kits they have put out over the last few years are second to none and that's not cheap to produce.

They are using it, did you see the 1/24 Mustang or the all new Panzer IVF or the 1/48 P-38F,G,H?  Oh by the way they did release a new LSP this year the 1/32 Mustang F-51.  (yes it was an upgrade of an existing kit but it counts)  Tamiya is very diverse in their releases and if you will only build LSP's then when it comes to Tamiya most of the time you are going to be disappointed.  At present I have the new 1/24 Mustang on my bench and it is amazing.  I also have the old Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk V going as well at the moment.

I don't think we will be seeing another LSP from them in 2020.  Since they released the f-51, I suspect that is the best we are getting.  If we are lucky we will see something in 2021 but who knows.  Now although some of the releases are out, there is a chance there will be some new more in the fall but don't get your hopes up for any more airplanes unless they do something in 1/48 or 1/72.

4 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Tamiya is foremost a toy company and they are focusing on a very lucrative kid's RC toy car market. Basically they've outgrown most of the IM model market, which is mature and saturated, and it isn't going to bring them the kind of ROI that those RC cars do. 

Yes they brought their molding to an exceptional level, but today many companies are capable of their results, it's no longer a question of technology but of employing experienced and dedicated designers. 

I'd honestly let go of Tamiya and look to the several Eastern European companies that are having a real 1/32 expansion.