Any Tamiya 1/32 rumours?

timvkampen

13 minutes ago, Tony T said:

At Newark air museum, or in your dreams? 

Would be nice in titchy scale but sublime in 1/32 — I'd even brave the masking required for that geometric dapple of greens & tan.

Tony 

Sadly, I’m my dreams. 
I just fancied starting a mischievous rumour. :)

27 minutes ago, notanotherrainydaykit said:

A 32nd Scale Viggen, that would be just awesome, but it'll never happen.......

I never say never, (except for just now).

13 hours ago, notanotherrainydaykit said:

A 32nd Scale Viggen, that would be just awesome, but it'll never happen.......

Don't loose faith.

Some years ago we used to say a 1/32 Mirage 2000 will never happen.

But it will most likely not be Tamyia ...

Edited by discus

On 5/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, AlbertD said:

Not a rumour but more of a wish. I wish Tamiya would start putting decent decals in their kits. I have yet to build one with good decals. I'm building an Eduard Mig-21 Weekend kit with their own decals and they are wonderful. Why can't Tamiya do that?

Tamiya does do pretty good decals the just seem to make it into the aircraft kits. Their motorcycle kits have great decals.  I put some decals on the 1:48 Sherman tank and these were some of the best tank markings I have ever used.  

I don’t think Tamiya decals are as bad as made out.  I have used them to satisfactory result.  I am more likely to replace national insignia and use aftermarket aircraft markings instead of doing out of the box but their stencils that come in the box, instrument decals and many of the others I will use.  I have also though used their national insignia and been okay with them.  

4 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I don’t think Tamiya decals are as bad as made out.  I have used them to satisfactory result.  I am more likely to replace national insignia and use aftermarket aircraft markings instead of doing out of the box but their stencils that come in the box, instrument decals and many of the others I will use.  I have also though used their national insignia and been okay with them.  

I have heard the way to get the best of them is to use Mr. Mark softener products. Supposedly they melt the thick coating down. I have never played with them, though, as I typically replace them as their thickness scares me and I usually want different markings anyway. I really should try that method, though, just so I know.

Also, I swear I have seen Cartograf decals in some of their kits? Like maybe in some of the F-4 kits and 1/12 car models?

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

I have heard the way to get the best of them is to use Mr. Mark softener products. Supposedly they melt the thick coating down. I have never played with them, though, as I typically replace them as their thickness scares me and I usually want different markings anyway. I really should try that method, though, just so I know.

Also, I swear I have seen Cartograf decals in some of their kits? Like maybe in some of the F-4 kits and 1/12 car models?

The Mr. Mark Softer route works indeed very well with thick decals. I apply some Mr. Setter first, apply the decal, let it sit for a while then apply Mark Softer

with a soft wide brush evenly, repeat that after a few minutes. I've never been disappointed going that route.